Cracked Windshield on 2016 CX-5

My 2013 CX-5 is the first car I've bought since 1992 that didn't need a replacement windshield in the first two years. I have off-roaded it extensively with the wheels at full articulation and rocking on two wheels. If the windshield was susceptible to stress fracturing due to frame distortion, I think I would have had a problem by now.

And I have taken a number of loud rock hits at freeway speeds without a crack or even a visible chip.

As far as internet polls, I'm sure they grossly over-estimate the number of "stress" cracks, both because some will report any crack as a "stress" crack and, more importantly, a thread about cracked windshields is bound to attract people who have had a windshield crack in numbers far disproportionate to those who have not and do not find cracked windshields an interesting topic of discussion.

Also, I've talked to three or four other CX-5 owners and, while their usage has not been as extreme as mine, they are all still on their OEM glass as well. I guess I don't see the "issue".

That you've spoken to three or four other owners who have not have any issues doesn't prove that an issue doesn't exist. Mazda sells tens of thousands of CX-5 per year and I'm sure there is a large number of users without cracked windshield. However, there are a few who has this issue. The proper way to evaluate is to determine what percentage of the CX-5 have cracked windshield and compare that to the average percentages of other manufacturers.

That you've spoken to three or four other owners who have not have any issues doesn't prove that an issue doesn't exist. Mazda sells tens of thousands of CX-5 per year and I'm sure there is a large number of users without cracked windshield. However, there are a few who has this issue. The proper way to evaluate is to determine what percentage of the CX-5 have cracked windshield and compare that to the average percentages of other manufacturers.
I agree with you on this. I bet Mazda CX-5 will have higher percentage of cracked windshield than most other car models in the world after I've been reading all the CX-5 cracking windshield complaints from everywhere on the Internet! In fact, the CX-5 owners in Taiwan had provided the comparison data and charts proving CX-5 does have weaker windshield and are asking the government to start an investigation! I believe we haven't seen too many complaints here in the US is because most people do have breakage coverage from insurance whereas other countries don't and have to replace the expensive windshield with their own expense!

I believe we haven't seen too many complaints here in the US is because most people do have breakage coverage from insurance whereas other countries don't and have to replace the expensive windshield with their own expense!

The same model car is built to different standards for different markets. The DOT regulates windshields in the US which is why there is a DOT emblem on every windscreen sold in the US. I would be interested to know if windscreens on Taiwanese CX-5's have the DOT approval. They could be weaker, I don't know.

The same model car is built to different standards for different markets. The DOT regulates windshields in the US which is why there is a DOT emblem on every windscreen sold in the US. I would be interested to know if windscreens on Taiwanese CX-5's have the DOT approval. They could be weaker, I don't know.
Almost all car manufactures use DOT (US), E6 (EU), and JIS (Japan) approved windshield. Taiwan is the same following all these standards. There were some twists in the video though. Apparently Mazda in Taiwan showed all of these certifications for their windshield, but the fact is CX-5's windshield is indeed weaker according to the data collected. The owner group suspects Mazda is either using sub-standard windshield with DOT/E6/JIS imprint, or the windshield design or manufacturing is having flaws. That's why they ask the government to start an investigation. It is possible that the windshields been put on the CX-5 in assembly line have different quality or defect comparing to these samples sent to DOT/E6/JIS for testing.

Cracked windshield today drive on the highway. Small rock with a very small sound a chip and it has grown to a two foot crack in a few hours. I've had harder sounding hits.

Cracked windshield today drive on the highway. Small rock with a very small sound a chip and it has grown to a two foot crack in a few hours. I've had harder sounding hits.
Ha, more and more people, including me, in this community have experienced weak windshield issue in person...

This thread is only a year old, but where are all these posters in this thread?

I got one a few weeks ago. I have heard loud impacts going down the freeway. Sounded like the windshield would be shattered but nothing. Then going about 45mph something hit out of the blue. There was no car in front of me. Put a star at the base of windshield a little bigger than a quarter. Headed straight to this place that repairs windshields. He did the best he could to repair. All i can see is the small chip, and cannot see the star. So far has not spread. He charged me $10.
I drove the 626 for 25 years without a crack. But looking in parking lots here in houston. Many cars have cracked windshields so not too upset.

Dang it, this discussion really got to me. Last night I dreamed of driving on freeway, hearing rocks hitting from a construction truck in front, looking up to the rear mirror and seeing the cracks started developing around the base of the mirror. Woke up feeling relieved, my car is 3,700 miles in 7 months, haven't got hit with rocks yet. But as many people said, there are only two seasons in Minnesota: winter and construction. The construction screws so far have been good at keeping debris from the road. Crossing fingers!

As far as the rocking hitting the wind shield thing there are many factors at play that determine if the window will crack. Some people say they are going 70 and a rock hits and nothing happens others say they are going 55 and a rock hits and the wind shield cracks. We will never know the shape of the rocks that hit but I suspect it plays a big part in whether or not the windshield breaks. A relatively round stone with out sharp points or jagged edges is probably much less likely to crack that windshield. Now a "sharp" rock with jagged edges or points that contact the windshield the right way is applying much more force at point of impact and causing the fracture. It such that it happened, now I have to find out if I have windshield insurance or not on my policy.

Happened to me today. 2016.5 CX-5 less than THREE weeks old. very small rock hit bottom part of windshield (I've seen cars for over 30 years take much harder hits to the windshield) and 2 days later the crack started (today). Went from a few inches to two feet in about an hour. I have the standard rearview mirror (not homelink) although this crack was at the bottom of the windshield, drivers side.

Just an FYI for anyone looking to replace their windshield...

I finally got around earlier in the week to setting up an appointment with Safelite to have my windshield replaced since my crack keeps growing. Got a call yesterday that they can only get the windshield from Mazda and it's on backorder. So now it's another 3-4 weeks before I can get a new one. 2016 with both tech and i-activesense. Not sure if other models of windshield are available or not.

I have the web of cracks behind the mirror, started at the top/roof line, no rock chip to be found in that area.. This was when the car was only a few months old. Argued with the dealer with no resolve from them. A rock hit is different so not too worried about that.
My main question is............anyone that had the strange web of cracks in the center (maybe stress), and had the windshield replaced, was there any visible marks, welds, screws, anything in the frame that would cause this type of stress crack?
I haven't replaced mine, only because it's not in the line of site. But when I do, I'm going to inspect that area for anything that shouldn't be there.

Just an FYI for anyone looking to replace their windshield...

I finally got around earlier in the week to setting up an appointment with Safelite to have my windshield replaced since my crack keeps growing. Got a call yesterday that they can only get the windshield from Mazda and it's on backorder. So now it's another 3-4 weeks before I can get a new one. 2016 with both tech and i-activesense. Not sure if other models of windshield are available or not.
There're only OEM windshields for 2016 CX-5 with Tech and with Tech and i-ActivSense. There was shortage on windshield for 2016 CX-5 with Tech last October, The wait time could be as long as two months:

Windshield replacement for 2016 CX5 GT w/Tech pakg

When I replaced the windshield for our 2016 CX-5 with Tech in early April, there's no shortage from Mazda. But with i-ActivSense the windshield has different part number. The parts guy told me the worst time was two years ago for the whole year the 2014 CX-5 windshield was in back order. The largest number of weak windshield complaints on 2014 CX-5 from NHTSA website seems to coincide with that.

I have the web of cracks behind the mirror, started at the top/roof line, no rock chip to be found in that area.. This was when the car was only a few months old. Argued with the dealer with no resolve from them. A rock hit is different so not too worried about that.
My main question is............anyone that had the strange web of cracks in the center (maybe stress), and had the windshield replaced, was there any visible marks, welds, screws, anything in the frame that would cause this type of stress crack?
I haven't replaced mine, only because it's not in the line of site. But when I do, I'm going to inspect that area for anything that shouldn't be there.
It seems not many people had the crack like yours.

My theory of why CX-5 windshield self-destructing from top-center sensor area is the bolt for auto-dimming rearview mirror which was torqued too much from factory. We had wobble rearview mirror since new and I fixed it by myself. By looking at the design I thought the small metal plate, where the heavy mirror is attached to, glued onto the windshield is too thin and weak. If the torx headed bolt is getting too tight, it creates too much pressure to the middle of the metal plate and applying a constant force to bend plate and glass. It eventually breaks the windshield at certain point by itself, or with little outside force with a small rock. I suspect it is the reason why there were few incidents that the rearview mirror is loose on 2016 CX-5 as Mazda may have reduced the torque spec of the bolt during assembly in order to reduce the windshield breakage.

When I was at Mazda dealer for PCM software update to fix my flexible maintenance monitor on oil change issue, I raised this question to a very knowledgeable service advisor. He admitted they have received a service advisory about this loose rearview mirror bolt, and Mazda has recommended the tech not to torque the bolt too tight to prevent the windshield breakage.

2016%252520Mazda%252520CX-5%252520Windshield%252520Sensors_02.jpg

I have had my 2016 Mazda CX-5 for about 4-5 months. Rock hit my windshield on the interstate today. A small peck, but started running right away about 2 inches. Came out of work this afternoon, granted a rainy day with hardly any sunshine, and it is already about a foot long. I have never seen a windshield do that in all my years. 😞

Last edited:
So far, my new windshield (#3) from Safelite has taken a few rocks, and is holding up great. Definitely superior to Mazda's OEM offerings, thus far.

I joined the club last Friday, unfortunately from a rock. The new windshield does look nice though.

New windshield? I literally just got a chip from a rock 20 minutes ago, but I wouldn't think they had to replace the entire windshield. Safelite?

I got my 2015 used back in June. A few weeks after purchasing, I hear a loud popping noise while driving 60mph. I didn't think nothing of it until my sister pointed it out to me. Tried one of those DIY repair kits but that didn't do anything. In the process of doing so, I noticed several smaller pits in the windshield and called my insurance. Unfortunately if I worked with my insurance, I would've needed to pay the $500 deductible I opted out of that. Called safelite and it came out slightly cheaper. After getting the new windshield, no problems at all and I'm satisfied. It took a little bit over an hour for them to do the repair.

Welcome to the Club! (says me to myself). I have a 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring, which we got new on a lease Jan 2017. I also already have the cracked windshield issue, it actually happened perhaps a month or two back, so within the first 3 months of having the car. Casual driving only, less than 3 days/week, and no clue what caused it. First dealer was a nightmare, went in person, took photos, they never followed up, then when I did, they said "the corporate guy" needs to see it in person, won't acknowledge the photos that the manager took.

Then I couldn't make it when they said "this Wednesday or not at all" to me, and then refused to help me at all and made me go through corporate on my own. Luckily the guy on phone seems very helpful and instead of going to the WAYNE NJ dealer I will go to another one.

Just seems very shoddy to have to jump through so many hoops, and hope this second interaction goes much better than the first.

Back