CP-E Xcel nano install issues, (minor)

NiteRunner

:
MazdaSpeed3 GT
Aaaahhhhhyyyyeeeaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!
First of all, let me say mad props to St-Unit for their superb customer service.
I've been on pre-order for a long time for both intakes like many. After a call to St-Unit on Thursday with credit card # ready, I received my intake today, (Saturday). Who does this? Thanks guys.(2thumbs)

I freekin love this thing. It's not loud at all, until you booooossst. When I want to conserve fuel, I keep it below 2500RPM, and if you do this the intake is silent. But pop it up to 3G and it comes to life!!(drive2)

Now for the bad news. Like CC said, the fit isn't quite right, (and for 200 bones it should be). Also the instructions are incorrect a few times.(yupnope)

Extra tools needed;
- 10mm open end wrench
- 3/8 extension, or screwdriver adapter

Use the 10mm open wrench to get to the hose clamp screw holding the rubber sleeve to the motor side, the Phillips head is blocked by a wiring harness, and the hose clamp does not rotate.

Next there is the little rubber thing that is attached to the top of the air box and pushed into the grille next to the drivers headlight. I'm not sure what the white plastic clip is for, but with the upper half to the air box detached, I was able to just pull the whole rubber thing toward the rear of the car and clear the grille.

Then after they forget to tell you to remove the nuts on the front of the battery box and fiddle just a bit to get the triangle shaped bracket to fit under the piece of black plastic that is some how absent from the included photos. I noticed that in his review the pics of copperkid's battery box cover were different than mine, not sure why. I would recommend a screwdriver that has a socket attachment to tighten the nuts that are now blocked by the rubber mount they just told you to put on, or the extension to clear it.

Next you will notice that the fitment of the rubber sleeve is not quite right on either end. It looks to be a little too short. After you finish the install, loosen the hose clamps again a bit and you should be able to push it together a some more.

Lastly, I was about to rip CP a new one because I thought the breather line was totally effed, not quite. While the line is hard plastic, closer examination reveals that the end does swivel. This may be obvious to someone working with correct lighting, but in my parking garage I missed it the first time. The fit is snug, but it will go on. Make sure you don't try to add the plastic piece that is attached to the original rubber sleeve.

I hope this helps. Like I said these issues are minor, but it just might save you some time and aggravation.
I will try to post pics tomorrow when the sun comes up. Until then read the included instructions and pics then when you add this it will make perfect sense.

Mods, feel free to move this to how to, after it's circulated a bit, thanx.

There's always this kind of stuff and you do a service to us for pointing the things that will piss off a number of us. Thanks.

Damn, I was hoping they woulnt rush it but it looks like they cut a corner or two. Atleast it wont affect performance.

Thanks for the tips!

I installed mine tonight and you definitely saved me some time and frustration.(uhm)

My eleven year old son helped me put it in and you should have heard us whooping and hollering when we took it out for a test drive!

The sound is awesome! The engine seems to rev easier at low RPMs which is a nice bonus--it used to feel like it was struggling a bit before the turbo kicked in. Oh, and did I mention that when you pass the 3000 RPM mark this thing hauls ass? OH YEAH! (10)

Make sure you don't try to add the plastic piece that is attached to the original rubber sleeve.

Why not re-use the stock plastic piece? I thought it was suppose to be re-used (even though it wasn't mentioned in the directions). It works just like on the stock sleeve.

Edit: This is the blue clip i'm referring to.

Last edited:
I replaced the the plastic breather hose, with a silicone hose. It came out great and fits under the IC cover much better. This mod should have been part of the Nano intake kit. See pics below.

HPIM0086.jpg

Last edited:
I've ordered the CP-e HKS BPV and the Nano. Both installation manuals were SEVERELY lacking. I don't get how you write up an installation manual and get lazy enough to not write in some really important steps... It seems like they just skip from one part to another and think that along the way, we (the customers) just figure it out on a trial and error basis.

On a brighter note, the Nano is SWEET! Increases of power all over the power band. I was so giddy I made a 100 mile trip at 3AM last night just so I could visit some friends for an hour at college (even though they're coming back today for Thanksgiving break :p).

And about the PCV hose, I was able to fit it on the SRI with complete ease (which sort of scared me cause in most posted reviews they all noted that they took 15-20 minutes JUST to get the hose connected to the SRI... Did I do something wrong? Alls I did was swivel the end and it fit perfectly without any issues of rubbing or putting any pressure on the intake :p) and only ran into trouble with the clamp on the turbo inlet.

A really easy way to fit the triangle battery mount is to wedge the right side in underneath the battery tray, and then grab a screw driver (doesn't matter philips or flat-head) and place the screw driver head underneath the left side of the battery tray and use leverage to lift the black piece just enough to slip the left side of the mounting bracket in.

Back