Could I get 18K out of my car?

azian6er

Asian Law Student
:
Mazda Speed Protege #987
Just curious if people would think 18K is a reasonable amount to sell me car for. For those of you who dont know me, i will list my mods below:

2003 Black Mica MSP
30K miles on chassis
20K on new motor
Completely built internals 9:1 compression
JE pistons
Pauter rods
Complete MAM Thumper turbo kit with garett gt3037s
Pwr Aluminum radiator
626 manifold
Tial 50mm BOV
AWR Motor Mounts
DG carbon strut brace
Tein S-techs
5zigen 16' with falken azenis sports
3 inch catless exhaust with Apexi muffler
Bride (rep) drivers seat
Sirius Radio
Kartboy all around
35% tint
replaced winshield
Greddy Profec B Spec 1 (the good one)
Defi Link meter Boost gauge
Split second extra injector controller (good for 14 psi and 300 whp on stock ecu)
Fiber Images oem carbon fiber hood
New mazdaspeed floor mats
new interior speakers (rockford punch with amplifier)
10' alpine type s subwoofer with power acoustic 360watt mono amp
Mobil 1 15w50 every 2500miles
Redline mtl tranny fluid just replaced

Last dynoed at 285 whp without new intake manifold or better tune. At 13 psi, should be over 300whp now.

LSD never broken, in great shape. Shifts just as well as when new.

I am looking to get into a used s2000, that is the reason for the interest in the sale.

Think it is reasonable?

-Bryan

Last edited:
No...generally mods don't add much value to your car. You would be better off returning the car to stock and selling off your car and mods seperately. You have a sweet car though.

so 18K is out of the question? what is a good price then 17K? People are saying casopolis' car could go for 16.5, and he doesnt have a built motor turbo kit etc...

the thing is, you can prob get $16-17.5k but you would have to spend too much time and money getting your car in the open to find an interested buyer in a modded protege. Not too much of a market out there for a modded Protege. You'd be better of stripping it down and exchanging with people for stock parts and money.

I don't think I will get that much, and you should be able to get 17

I would need TONS of stock parts, so I don't know what I am doing yet.

I will not part it. I will sell it for less if need be, but no parting. I will post an official for sale thread later for 17.5K and see if I get any bites. There are always people looking to move up from protege 5's or protege's, so I dont think it would be crazy to think so.

-Bryan

azian6er said:
I will not part it. I will sell it for less if need be, but no parting. I will post an official for sale thread later for 17.5K and see if I get any bites. There are always people looking to move up from protege 5's or protege's, so I dont think it would be crazy to think so.

-Bryan

yea that is why I just randomly posted 16K in my sig. I got an email on it, an outsider I think. We will see what happens. I don't have the time to part out... it would suck soo much.

I am looking at used Audi's as of now.

best of luck to you and hope you aren't in a hurry to sell it. try contacting msptitan(something). he is looking for a MSP under 13k I beleive but try to convince him yours is worth it.

I want to get a winter car and store my MSP in the garage to detail it for the spring. I think once people get tax money and the weather is nicer, the market will be better.

yeah, I am moving on to law school this summer, so I kinda want to get out of the boy racerish scheme and into something a bit nicer, and something the GF may like a bit better.

hhmmmm, you will still want to mod the s2000. My advice is to get a luxury car to get the modding bug out. Most you'll prob do to it is wheels and a sound system and tinted windows.

That's the unforuntate reality of modding your car - when it comes to selling it can often devalue the car (even if the buyer has plans to mod the car in the future). I guess people see a modded car and get hesitiant about the history of it. What do you guys think - money spent on modding the car should be look at as a lost expense when it comes time to get return on your investment?

Last edited:
i wouldn't buy a modded car.

there a guy around my house who's selling his 98 accord for 12k, and it has a 4k paint job(which i doubt and it looks ugly anyways) some lame ghetto rims and a air suspension. the interior is s***..and still he's asking 12k for it...

he'll get a bite in the ass when he finds out he's been trying to sell it for 6 months and not one offer.

a modded car is based on someone elses likes. its hard to get used to something that you didn't do.

maybe for a modded car 18k is a reasonable price..much less expensive than doing the same things on a stock car...but still...you won't have the fun of picking your brain when modding it..because someone else already did that...and if you don't like it...too bad...it has already been done that way for you.

strip it from everything, sell it stock.
prolly will make more money that way.

You went to all that trouble battling Street unit over their intake mani, yet you are selling your car?

I would keep it....

I don't think 18k is out of the question with the extent of those mods. The built motor helps considerably, imho. There are people out there who have the dough to plunk down the extra $$ even if the bank won't loan that much on it. Way cheaper and easier than doing all those mods yourself, assuming they're done right.

Of course, there is always the option of returning it stock like others have said. I don't know which way would come out better and there would be an awful lot of work in getting it back to stock. Your time is worth something, for sure. I'd love to have that motor and turbo setup though. Want to drive down here and trade me out for stock plus some cash? Hmmm... might be an option.

Too bad yours isn't a spicy orange with perfect factory paint or I'd offer you up 17.5k right now. Don't throw in the towel just yet.

Put some ricy stickers on it, and some young 16 year old kid will get daddy or mommy to pay whatever you want.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... don't listen to any one on line until you try for yourself. I sold a 2001 GSXR100o less than a year ago for 7500, with one black wheel and one white, not to mention I only had it back from the paint shop a couple of hours after I repaired it while looping it doing a standup at 80pmh. My moto is theres a buyer born every minute! never know till you try... my two cents! which I paid 5300 for 1 year prior... from apocmans friend!

I think 18's a decent price. Usually small mods like intake and exhaust won't help the car, but you've put some serious money into yours. Most of the guys on this board are pretty aware of the fair market value of our cars, but I wouldn't be surprised if some guy that was looking into spending more for an evo/sti (granted those cars are no comparison) decided to just drop $20,000 for yours. It's a long shot, but what's the rush if you stand to gain a couple thousand?

yea go for at least 18k. If i sell mine, its getting posted up for 25500.

will it sell? Probably not. But if it does, i will have enough to get the new car and be out of debt.

Back