cosworth parts?

Airman Jack said:
how do you know it'll throw a CEL?
Because our stock intake manifold has the variable intake-air system. Which is controlled by the ecu and once you remove it, you will throw a CEL.

Just alittle update, went up to Marcy Motorsports this weekend to get fitted for the intake. So the ball is rolling, he will be getting back to me when the finished is done and sure will let everybody know. Don't know how long yet. The ass dyno felt some good gains though. About the cossie parts we will see more next time I go up there he should have them by then.

Don't much else till we fit it on hopefully next month but know that it does bolt right up and will throw the CEL that's why we need the sct tuner or cossie to make the kit available for us with a reflash like the focus.

I just joined the forum today. I was from the www.mazda3forums.com. I was interesting in the same cosworth intake manifold. However, there was nobody can answer my questions about fittings and performance. I found out that you guys are having disscussions about this intake manifold so I decided to join in. Now forgive me first but I do have some questions. what is a CEL? What elses do I need other than the intake manifold? Where can I get my ECU reflashed (corksport??) Is there anybody going to put the intake manifold on soon? My car is a 04 manual hatch with AEM CAI.
Thanks

An intake manifold will do the best when used with the intake, header, exhaust, throttle body and tuning. Without the rest I don't believe you will see a huge difference but coupled together the whole system will flow much better which is why you need the tuning to get the most out of it by adjusting air and fuel.

I am interested as well. getting rid of that plastic intake manifold would be nice ... but the CEL thing bugs me.

My thoughts exactly....I want things done right...no point in fixing up 1 thing, and causing another issue

If CP-e can rid us 6's of the Fuel trim cel then I'm pretty shure cos could rig something up. Now with this intake mani...it kills vtcs but does it also kill vilm?

Da 6 said:
If CP-e can rid us 6's of the Fuel trim cel then I'm pretty shure cos could rig something up. Now with this intake mani...it kills vtcs but does it also kill vilm?

Cosworth is not hacks like CP-E and don't trick the ECU. What they do is almost the same as the guys on ebay selling 99 cent resistors. If Cosworth makes an intake manifold specifically for the Mazda3 it will come with a reflashed ECU just like the Focus. But since it will probally be a while before they do make one for the Mazda3, we will be able to use it only if we have the SCT tuner.
And what is VILM, I looked in my service manual and on the service cd and did not find it?

They are working on it so it will be ours someday. The focus one is barely for sale so we just have to wait. But until you have every other bolt on you won't really need it.

AzMz3 said:
And what is VILM, I looked in my service manual and on the service cd and did not find it?

I think he's referring to Variable Length Intake Manifold. It was a typo. Cut some slack.
Just FYI, Mazda calls their multi-chambered intake a VIS (Variable Intake System).

To answer the original question: probably. Since VIS is part of the intake manifold, it will probably be designed out for hi-po applications. You never know, though. It has its uses, so they may keep it.

Back