Consumer Reports Talking Cars about Mazda (incl. CX-5)

Yeah, I saw that one too, I thought it was overall more positive than negative. Especially they praised Mazda for quality/reliability and they dinged Ford as being NOT so reliable(OUCH) for Ford. I was a little surprised by that, I though Ford was perceived as being more reliable than that??

I like their overall discussion of Mazda, but am disappointed that they did not discuss the CX-5 in greater detail. Still, worth a listen.

What I think is interesting is that they say Mazda is for people who care about driving, however I think that EVERYBODY can appreciate a nicer driving car. People who could care less about steering feel can tell the difference when a car steers better than another. I think it's a very nice surprise for people who don't know that you can get this type of driving dynamics outside of higher end luxury cars.

Yeah, I saw that one too, I thought it was overall more positive than negative. Especially they praised Mazda for quality/reliability and they dinged Ford as being NOT so reliable(OUCH) for Ford. I was a little surprised by that, I though Ford was perceived as being more reliable than that??

I bought a 1990 5.0 Mustang new and was very impressed with its reliability and engineering. Before I checked out the CX-5, I looked at a Ford Edge Sport SUV. The poor engineering of the Edge was shocking. The seats were as flimsy as a cheap couch. The ergonomics of console controls was appalling (a stick-on sheet for buttons?). The notorious infotainment. The slip-bang problem with transmissions. The foam rubber block covering the engine to reduce noise (probably last 2-3 years tops). I would hope the team that worked on the Edge had no hand in their other models.

My best and worse car were both Ford.

Worse car I ever owned: 87 Ford Tempo, after 4 or 5 years, it was like a new car, in that I think I'd pretty much replaced everything in it!! :)

Best Car I've owned so far: 1995 Ford Taurus, I gave it to my daughter at somewhere over 230,000 miles and I think she ran it another 60,000 or 70,000 miles after that. Serpentine belts, oil changes, brakes, and one alternator is about all we ever did to it, and it always got around 30mpg with a V6.

What I think is interesting is that they say Mazda is for people who care about driving, however I think that EVERYBODY can appreciate a nicer driving car. People who could care less about steering feel can tell the difference when a car steers better than another. I think it's a very nice surprise for people who don't know that you can get this type of driving dynamics outside of higher end luxury cars.

Unfortunately, some people only care about the infotainment system...

I don't think that EVERYBODY can appreciate a nicer driving car. I think a lot of people don't actually know what a nice driving car really is. What they want is ubber quite with light steering and a ride where you can't feel bumps in the road. That's why so many accords and camerys are sold. The masses don't by BMW, Audi, or MB sedans because of the price but those that do buy those car come to appreciate what a car should drive like. Of course all of those brands have had their duds and misses at times but generally have a good driving experience.

I like what they said about Mazda trying to position it's self as middle ground between the mass market vehicles (ford, chevy, honda, toyota) and the higher end cars the likes of which are mostly German. When we first started looking at cars it was for my wife to replace her A4, a very nice driving car. We looked at the Q5, X3 and XC60. Of the bunch we liked the X3 the best. The Q5 felt old, the XC60 to minivan-ish. After much thought and learning that baby number two is on the way we changed our focus towards replacing my protege5 since I'm the stay at home parent and will be carting the kids around more often. We looked at the CX-5 and were instantly reminded of the X3. The drive and suspension, handling, steering feel all was very similar. My wife actually said the same thing and she's not a car person at all. Truth be told my wife can be a bit of a car snob every since she got he Audi. She doesn't want to go back to "standard" brands, only "luxury" brands from now on. So I was a bit shocked to her say she would consider a CX-5 for herself! I know in the end she would go for the BWM. Why? It's quieter. The Audi is very quiet as well so she likes that a lot. I can tell you that the CX-5 was loader then the A4 but i thought is was quieter then my protege5. I actually like a little road and wind noise, it lets you know your moving. Some cars I've driven are so bland and sterile, they just remove all elements that let you know there is road underneath you and that you're hurtling through time and space at 70mph.

I am resigned to admit that the era of the manual transmission in america is all but over. Unless you go with a small hot hatch or something around those lines, the manual transmission is just gone. No one buys them so the dealers don't order them so the manufacturer stops making them. It's a shame because there is such joy to be found in shifting thru gears. I actually hope to one day find a manual car for my kids when they get to that age. I think the added task of shifting could actually help them stop from other tasks like texting and whatnot. you need to spend more time actually driving and not doing other things. Anyhow, since manual is on it's death bed I sure hope that the driving experience doesn't fallow it to the grave. I could see a possible future where cars are basically privately owned mass transportation. You get in and it auto drives you to where you need to go with no input from the passengers what so ever. The highways would be come one giant train, where everyone has there own "train car" to ride in instead of sitting next to each other. I sure hope Mazda continues the ZOOM-ZOOM for years to come. As for know, I'm eagerly awaiting the day I pull the trigger on the CX-5

Well said! (iagree)

I believe the message was that the CX-5 was the most fun car in its class for the money. After viewing lots of you tubes about my 2016 sole CX-5 GT, I REALIZED that the front pillars and side mirrors allow me to have better visibility than other CUV's. That is something they overlooked. The pillars are more to the side of the car than in your site. Also, the opening by the side view mirrors allow you to keep an eye on the curb as you make a sharp turn. There is a space between the mirror and the side window.

they seem to really like Mazda minus the wind noise. I listen to the radio or bluetooth the songs from my iphone so I never hear this wind noise they speak of. I am really really happy about my 16'.

I'm super impressed with the Bluetooth in our '16. I'm not sure if it was improved any over the '15 but there is ZERO background noise when talking with my wife - I cant ever tell if she's idling at a red light or driving 75mph down the turnpike. I've never owned a car with that great of a phone system before.

Everyone always complains of the background noise when I'm talking on the Bluetooth of my Subaru - not the case with our CX-5.

I thought the wind noise was pretty quiet when I bought my Subaru compared to other makes at the time, but our Mazda blows the Subaru away - it's much quieter.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back