Considering a CX-5, question about long trip comfort

My parents have a 2005 Honda Civic. They used to live in Galveston and I went to UT Austin so I made that 4 hr trips quite often when they come pick me up for holidays and etc. The biggest discomfort I found with long drives is my lower back. I've always had to shift around in my seat or switch between sitting up higher and lower to rest my back.

My new CX-5 GT have power adjust lumbar support, which makes a huge difference. The seats are firm but comfort, so it won't feel like you're sitting on a sofa, but the lumbar support really takes care of the lower back stress for long driving trips. That's comfort from the driver point of view. CX-5 is sporty; the suspensions are tighter than your avg luxury cars, so don't expect limo like drive, but I like that as a driver, since it feels more engaging and more connected to the road, instead of floating.

One thing I really wish the CX-5 have is arm rest attached to the front seat. I looked at Honda CR-V too, and really liked the arm rest that folds down on the right side of the seat. I mostly drive with just my left hand and it would be nice to have a place to rest my right arm. The center arm rest of CX-5 is a bit low and pointless. But CX-5 was better in so many other aspects (I tested highest trim for both cars), with auto turning headlights, auto wipers, 8(?) way adjustable power seat, auto dim mirror, blind spot radar, adv keyless entry (don't ever have to take the key forb out of pocket), semi-manual shift option, not to mention the handling, that it was no contest.

I too was in the CRV versus CX5 buying contest and picked the CX5 two days ago. I took extended test drives with highway miles in both vehicles and the CRV arm rest almost swayed me to the Honda. Other performance and road feel features brought me to the CX5. I might build an arm rest from a stiff piece of seating foam and upholster it to match my Sand leather interior. It will wedge between the 2 front seats and can be thrown in the back when my wife or son drives.

i have done many many 4.5 hours trips with no problems, even a few 8 hour trips without issue (other than the expected getting stiff)

I've now taken a number of 5-6 hour trips in my CX-5 and am getting ready for my annual 1500 mile marathon to Texas (and 1500 back again a week later), and there are only two things that are going to bug me: 1) somewhat cramped footwell for the left foot (not too big a deal) and, somewhat more of a concern, after 6000 miles I still don't like the steering wheel. It has spokes where my VW had spaces. In particular I really prefer the 9-3 hand position which just does not work on the CX-5. The CX-5 wants you to use a 10-2 position. I am considering building up the backside of the wheel somehow so I can take a firm 9-3 grip. As it is my arms get fatigued from having to grip with just my fingertips and thumbs... First World problems...

I've been commuting with my CX5 1 hr 10 minutes each way and up until now I have found very few faults with the CX5. Now that I have had to spend some decent long hours in it I have one complaint. Its loud inside this car. The exhaust is the major contributor to this but I can always hear this engine working and it gets tiresome on long trips. I downloaded a DB app for my phone and it hovers around 75-78 db at 70 mph. for comparison my wife's 2012 Mazda 5 is 65 db at the same speeds with the same app and phone and the Mazda 5 isn't known for being quiet.

I plan on doing one of two things. Trade it in for something quieter or add insulation. It depends on how much of a hit I'll have to take to trade it in. Other than this major (for me) complaint I love this car.

I drove for 8 hours when picking my car up.
Felt just as good as my old 2002 Volvo V70 - wich has legendary seats.

Really happy with the CX-5`s comfort...

Took a weekend day trip of about 2.5 hours each way, portion of Highway 1 which include many curves and also long stretches of highway.
I am still getting used to the steering. It is a bit heavy and the spokes are not where I am used to. Perhaps my seating position / location of steering wheel is not yet idle for me. I came back with arms a little tired.
Seating is very good with support in the right places. Wife and son said it was good and comfortable.
The car does feel heavier than my previous ride. The gas pedal is stiffer. The 2.5L engine was pretty quiet most of the time.
Overall, very nice ride, very good in turns. The AT was good most of the time, though did not seem to hold gears when driving uphill slow (because of the turns) and was too eager to get below 1500 RPM, where there was insufficient torque for the incline so I had to either switch to manual or give it some more gas so it would shift back to a more sensible gear. In contrast, when driving at reasonable speed on a similar angle straight incline, it did know to hold gears.
The engine is still in its break-in period, so I practice much restraint (It's very hard!).

Thanks for all the responses.

Can't wait to find time to test drive the car. Friend is loving hers (have yet to ride it in though since she bought it).

Back