Considering 2014 Mazda6

RyanS93

Hi everybody, new member here! So, currently I am driving a 2012 Ford Fiesta. I bought it when I started college 2 years ago because I needed a reliable car for commuting, and it was the best car I could afford. My brother has one and I really liked it. Unfortunately, it has not turned out as well as I had hoped. I have had several issues, including a wheel bearing, shifter assembly, brake issues, lots of squeaks and rattles, vibrations, and more. The car is less than 2 years old with about 26k, and feels like it is falling apart. In addition, it just feels too small and at times underpowered.

So, I am on the hunt for a new car. I now have a higher income so am looking at something better. I have already driven a new Accord and a new Altima, both of which I liked a lot. I just test drove a new Mazda6 as well and was very impressed. Basically, I am looking for something that is reliable, practical, refined, and fuel efficient, but also interesting and fun to drive. I would probably be looking at a Sport automatic (my Fiesta is manual, but with the driving I do I think an auto is better suited), because I like cloth seats better and would like to keep the cost down.

What I am asking the forum, is those of you who have purchased a new Mazda6, how do you like it so far, and does this seem like a good fit for what I have described? I would really like to hear from those with Sports, as they seem to be less common than Touring and Grand Touring models. I have always liked Mazdas and everybody I know who has bought a Mazda has been very happy (mostly 3's). I do a lot of driving (mostly highway), and want something I will really enjoy for a long time. How has it held up in terms of reliability, comfort, and driving enjoyment? Also, I have heard that the 3's suffer from very weak air conditioners. Is this the case on the 6 as well (with the single zone system on the Sport)? Good A/C is a must for me.

Thank you for any help or suggestions, I really hope that the 6 will be the car for me, I love the style and the feel of the car.

The mazda 6 is an awesome car. I test drove a 13 ford focus but i didn't like the feel of it too much, it was slower than i thought, and feels small to me, plus once the options are added it gets real expensive. So i went for the mazda 6 touring and never looked back. The car looks impressive, the handling is very sharp for a sedan, very roomy and build quality is very good. The auto trans is very good and very responsive, it will kick down quickly when power is demanded. As far as fuel efficiency i have easily hit 36mpg averaging 70mph. The A/C system you dont need to worry about, on full blast it will turn you into a Popsicle, one of the more powerful systems i have used

I've had the M6 for about 4 months, this is one of the best cars I've had so far (driving for 40 years). More pep than most 4 bangers, and fuel economy in the mid 30s (measured fill up to fill up and averaged). Excellent ride and handling. I generally keep cars 10+ years, hope it will be as reliable as the 2 Maximas I had prior. Recommendations: 1) also drive the Ford Fusion, it's the same chassis with similar characteristics, with turbo power, and 2) DON'T get the Mazda Radar Cruise Control, it's dangerous.

I've had the M6 for about 4 months, this is one of the best cars I've had so far (driving for 40 years). More pep than most 4 bangers, and fuel economy in the mid 30s (measured fill up to fill up and averaged). Excellent ride and handling. I generally keep cars 10+ years, hope it will be as reliable as the 2 Maximas I had prior. Recommendations: 1) also drive the Ford Fusion, it's the same chassis with similar characteristics, with turbo power, and 2) DON'T get the Mazda Radar Cruise Control, it's dangerous.

^^^xxx1000..awsome car..have mine for 4 month..

Thanks for all of the replies! Sounds to me like the 6 may be the way to go, I've been doing research and see only positive things. In regards to the Fusion, I like the styling, but after my experience with my Ford I'm not really ready to buy another one. Also seems too big and heavy for me. The more I look, the more the Mazda seems to be the right car for me. I still want to do another test drive of a Sport and make sure I like it but I hope that I will be purchasing one.

@ LE-FLO: regarding MRCC: first of all its a moot point for the TS since you can only get MRCC at the GT model (which he said he is not looking at), 2nd of all to claim it IS dangerous is way over the top. YOU may think its dangerous, I have no problems with it at all, taking the systems capabilities and limitations in mind.

2014 Sport Automatic

I picked up my 6 Sport Automatic 2 days ago. I could not be happier. In a perfect world I wish I could have gotten the 19" rims on my Sport but I like the 17" also. My main reason for getting the sport is that I prefer a cloth interior over the leatherette. I drive alot with work and leather/leatherette interiors just are not as comfortable to me when driving long distances. The 6 looks great and has personality. I have had 2 other Mazda's in the past and they have been great cars. My last car was a Passat. Drove nice but something was always breaking. Go with the 6, you can't go wrong with it.

The Fusion isn't built off of the same platform as the '6. I've heard it drives well though!

I don't own a '6, nor have I been in one, but all reviews I have read have been positive. I don't see many Sports, but I hear that Mazda doesn't make many with the automatic (although both of the Sport 6's I have seen were automatics).

The Fusion is something to consider as well, but I definitely understand your hesitance to go back to Ford. The new Accord (especially the Sport w/ the 6 speed manual) has been very well received, so that might be something to check out (although the LX is more in the '6 Sport's price range).

I do want to say: the 2014 Mazda3 Hatch will be making its way to dealer showrooms this August. Click here to see pictures of it (courtesy of autoblog.com). The 2014 Mazda3 will be about 200 pounds lighter than the outgoing model, and will be more aerodynamic as well, so it should get an easy 42 hwy with the SkyActiv 2.0.

Honestly, I would stick with the manual, regardless of what you get. The '6 Sport w/6M is very basic, just pick your color and go! Car and Driver magazine remarked, "In exchange for being an options martyr, though, you receive the endless bliss that comes from perfectly placed pedals, snappy throws, effortless shifts, and creamy clutch engagement. Engineers with RX-8's clearly had a hand in this gearbox."

The issue I have with going manual is I either have to go with the Sport which makes me give up options like Bluetooth which are must-haves, or I have to go with the Touring, which is a bit more expensive, and has options like the leatherette seats which I don't want. The Sport auto is equipped pretty much exactly as I want.

A question that has come up as I have done more research on the car, is that apparently the stereo system has a serious bug with the iPod integration where it takes forever to read and skips back to the beginning. If I know this will be fixed, I am not worried, but if it's still up in the air that's a serious hindrance to my wanting to buy the car as I use an iPod about 98% of the time in the car.

The Fusion isn't built off of the same platform as the '6. I've heard it drives well though!
. The Fusion chassis is virtually identical under the skin to the M6, as the Focus is the the M3. Power trains, sheet metal, dashboards and design cues are different, to give each a different personality. Lincoln has a version as well. There was a great deal of design sharing during Ford ownership of Mazda, and it looks like the sharing of technology is continuing. I drove them both (Mazda and Ford) and was astounded at the similarities. The Ford powertrain is excellent, but I was not interested in paying more for a turbo. For the kind of driving I do daily, the normally aspirated 2.5 is perfect. We also have a Mazdaspeed 3 in the family (my son's car), very reliable car and a kick in the pants to drive, but not my cup of tea.

I have my sport automatic only 4 days but I have had no problem with my iPod working with the stock stereo.

The issue I have with going manual is I either have to go with the Sport which makes me give up options like Bluetooth which are must-haves, or I have to go with the Touring, which is a bit more expensive, and has options like the leatherette seats which I don't want. The Sport auto is equipped pretty much exactly as I want.

A question that has come up as I have done more research on the car, is that apparently the stereo system has a serious bug with the iPod integration where it takes forever to read and skips back to the beginning. If I know this will be fixed, I am not worried, but if it's still up in the air that's a serious hindrance to my wanting to buy the car as I use an iPod about 98% of the time in the car.

MRCC is awesome! Driven from San Diego to LA (about 120 miles) with barely having to touch pedals: very good for reducing long trip fatigue. It is not dangerous - the distance to the followed car needs to be set appropriately for the speed traveling and traffic density. In the dense traffic I set the distance to 3 or 4 bars (4 is maximum and means furthest distance), in case there is an abrupt slow-down from 70 mph to 35 the car has time to lose speed in a comfortable manner. On an uncongested freeway 1 bar suffice, and at any rate the distance can be adjusted on the fly.

. The Fusion chassis is virtually identical under the skin to the M6, as the Focus is the the M3. Power trains, sheet metal, dashboards and design cues are different, to give each a different personality. Lincoln has a version as well. There was a great deal of design sharing during Ford ownership of Mazda, and it looks like the sharing of technology is continuing. I drove them both (Mazda and Ford) and was astounded at the similarities. The Ford powertrain is excellent, but I was not interested in paying more for a turbo. For the kind of driving I do daily, the normally aspirated 2.5 is perfect. We also have a Mazdaspeed 3 in the family (my son's car), very reliable car and a kick in the pants to drive, but not my cup of tea.

They have nothing in common. Mazda-Ford partnership is no more. 2014 "6" is ALL Mazda. Completely new design done by Mazda in-house. AGAIN, for the very slow: 2014 Mazda 6 has nothing in common with Ford Fusion. NOTHING

They have nothing in common. Mazda-Ford partnership is no more. 2014 "6" is ALL Mazda. Completely new design done by Mazda in-house. AGAIN, for the very slow: 2014 Mazda 6 has nothing in common with Ford Fusion. NOTHING

I have to agree. The old 6 was based off of the Ford Mondeo platform and when the Ford/Mazda partnership dissolved, this left Mazda on their own. Without Ford's design shackles...Mazda redesigned their whole fleet. I'm sure a new CX-5 and CX-7 platform will appear soon. Similarities, maybe...much like with other cars in their classes. The same, no way...the best thing that ever happened to Mazda was getting away from Ford.

I test drive both the Fusion and the 6 back to back before I bought my 6. 1. Notice the automatic shifting...Mazda, smooth...Ford, jerky. 2. Cornering at 15 MPH...Mazda, tight and little body roll...FORD, loose and heavy. 3. Power, controlled and refined power...Mazda, great power band...Ford, brute strength. Both need more powers and it goes to Fird with the EcoBoost. 4. Looks...both are very good looking...it's your preference. 5. Trim Packages...Mazda, GT...Ford Fusion Titanium...you'll pay more for the Ford to get the equal trim package. Note the interior quality, when I pushed the sunglass holder in the Fusion the whole headliner moved where it did not in the Mazda.

While I love the 6, love Mazda, and plan to continue buying them, I am going to take a pretty close look at the new Fusion, and especially the new Accord when the Skyactiv-D hits the USDM.
I do like the gen 3 MZ6 in its current form, with the gas engine, but I feel like I'd be selling myself short by buying one now, having never driven the much preferred oil burner. :/

But, for what it's worth, I really don't think you can do better in the price range than the new 6.

We all choose cars for our own personal reasons and each of the cars you mentioned shines in it's own way. As a driving enthusiast (I've done a few club races with my 81 RX7 at Sears Point, back when it was called that anyway...) the Ford Fusion, Honda Accord Sport, and Nissan Altima just did not deliver the kind of road feel, steering response, and mechanical tightness that I get driving the Mazda 6. While the 6 has a very lazy feeling throttle at low rpms, this has vastly improved my gas mileage and has done wonders with curing my heavy foot. I still drive fast but the urge to gun it after every stop has gone away.

Just drove my 6 along twisty Hwy 1 on the California coast this weekend, and it reminded me why I chose the Mazda. I had such a great time driving along the coast and at least there, the car NEVER felt underpowered. I'm a family guy now so I dont need a car with 5 second 0-60 or even a 10 second qtr mile. I just want to enjoy every turn life throws at me and look good doing it. Saving on gas and not buying into the electric/hybrid fad doesnt hurt either. The 6 is far more eco friendly than Prius drivers may think...

Back