Concerned Buyer

btw. the engine falling out issue in the 07's was due to a recall on an engine bolt. correct me if im wrong on that. The bolt was faulty and under high torque there was a chance the engine could "rip its self out". obviously they had a recall and fixed it. so no more worries. but like i said, correct me if im wrong

btw. the engine falling out issue in the 07's was due to a recall on an engine bolt. correct me if im wrong on that. The bolt was faulty and under high torque there was a chance the engine could "rip its self out". obviously they had a recall and fixed it. so no more worries. but like i said, correct me if im wrong

their is a recall on the 07s. has something to do with aweful drivers from MA(cryhard) just kidding

Don't read too much into the negative. The ups and downs flow on any message board. BAsically you'll hear more negs on message boards than good and that's typical.

not on a honda or subaru forum(loser). seems to be a mazda thing

I wouldn't say that....when I had my 03 AV6, there was tons of hate out there regarding the 5spd tranny flaw. Then they came out with a rinky-dink fix to better oil second gear....the hate grew. That was just one thing too.

Just thought that everyone might want to know that today i purchased a white 2009 ms3. Thanks for everones help

Nice Rally Sport! Those are the best looking Camaros ever built.

It is a beautiful car. The pic isnt actually my car though. I had this exact car but when my wife and I moved I must have thrown out the pictures(dunno). I have pics of my chevelles, but my favorite car(the camaro) I cant find. Its as close a pic as I could find

1st off, i wouldn't let literally a couple of negative, horror-story type posts unduly influence you. human nature being what it is, most ppl don't post anything when everything is running smoothly, and likewise adopt a 'the sky is falling' attitude when something breaks down.

2nd, i'd do some online reading. Autoweek conculded its long-term wrapup of the MS3 and after ~25k miles, there were only a couple of minor quibbles w/ the car. look up C&D, Edmund's and others.

and after you've read up on it, test drive both cars. you did the right thing by asking Qs on an MS3 board, ppl will tell you their 1st hand experience. mine, for example, is this: car is coming up on 2 yrs anniversary, never a CEL, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and it's a pleasure to drive daily. my biggest headache is identifying/fixing an annoying rattle from under the passenger seat, where the subwoofer is. i'd call that a good deal, reliability-wise.

IMHO it's a no-brainer: 200 hp vs 263. that alone would seal the case for me. (yippy)

There's a TSB on a rattle inside the car. Something about getting the seatbelt buckle replaced under warranty.

*sniff*

I remember prancing about after I just purchased my MS3, and simultaneously, first sub-160,000 km car (zero kilometers...what a notion!). I've never been more excited. Didn't sleep for weeks.

As for all the negative stuff on the board, the engine mount failure was fixed in 08. I remember discussing this with Mazda before I bought the car. It squeeks and rattles when its cold out, so expect that. Also, I'm disappointed with the defroster and heater - but unless you're in an arctic climate like me, you won't notice (-10F and below).

People who blow up their engines typically bypass the car's fuel management system using modifications. Bypassing the ECU's pre-ignition countermeasures and safety parameters, they start increasing boost and induction efficiency, then they wonder why their engine knocks and blows up. These are the same people who are probably responsible for the cold air intake being removed from the market - "I dunno man, all I had on there was the intake I swear!". Bullocks. However, if faced with the same predicament I doubt I would have acted any different! :)

Traded in a 07 civic sedan SI for my current 08 MS3 GT. No comparison whatsoever, same thing for the GTI. I can't believe ppl in here are actually trying to compare these cars. Not being a fanboy but the MS3 kills these cars no contest. Yes I've driven all of them many times. I kept seeing the same few members posting negative s*** about the MS3 because they're having problems and or paranoid. Don't lesson to their crap, they just keep repeating their selves like broken records. If you don’t believe me you’ll see it’s the same handful of ppl 95% of the time complaining. Perhaps the MODs could take note of their asinine behavior and send a warning or something. It's not helping the community

Last edited:
I can understand people being upset about the motor mount issues with the 2007 models- but you can't just judge all the speed 3's by what happened to the first one they came out with. They have to work the bugs out first. Geez...

So, I am looking at used 07s and 08s (I think I want a GT). What do I look for, what were the early problems you had?

Are there any particular extras you wish you had, or any that were useless and you wish you had not paid for them?

How is the navigation? I tend to take a $100 garmin over a $2k onboard solution, what are the arguments for getting it with nav?

Thanks
Martin

So, I am looking at used 07s and 08s (I think I want a GT). What do I look for, what were the early problems you had?

Are there any particular extras you wish you had, or any that were useless and you wish you had not paid for them?

How is the navigation? I tend to take a $100 garmin over a $2k onboard solution, what are the arguments for getting it with nav?

Thanks
Martin

The '07's were the ones with the motor mount problems- so I would go with an '08. I have the sport- and I love it. I liked the cloth seats better than the leather, but that's a personal preferance. I didn't care about the GPS, or the rain sensing wipers, so I just got the sport. I think the GT has different lights? I'm not positive on that one but I am sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong. (lol2)

The '07's were the ones with the motor mount problems- so I would go with an '08. I have the sport- and I love it. I liked the cloth seats better than the leather, but that's a personal preferance. I didn't care about the GPS, or the rain sensing wipers, so I just got the sport. I think the GT has different lights? I'm not positive on that one but I am sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong. (lol2)

The MS3 GT has over the Sport the following:

HID XENON headlamps with manual adjust feature (No, you aren't going to find better in the aftermarket)
LED tail lights (looks gorgous)
Bose surround sound with 7/speakers & sub(Nice unless you crank it up really loud)
Partial leather seats (Makes interior look 100% better and provide great support)
Trip computer with MPG/AVG/Miles until empty etc (Pretty nifty feature)
Rain sensing wipers (Don't really care for)

Well worth the extra $1750.00 IMO.

Last edited:
Back