Completely new to Mazda. Got a P5. Now what?

I think functional hood scopes are sweet. But finding a hood like that one may be difficult, and crafting your own is tedious and time consuming. But if you have the patience, it would be awesome.

The intake boxes are functional and a lot better than a short ram or conventional CAI, but aren't as aesthetically pleasing as the hood scoop.

Okay! I haven't done much to the car as of late. However I will be sending it in to get it looked over within the next few weeks. I just need the rain to go away so I can drive my classic car without worrying about the rain.

I HAVE A QUESTION. I am wanting to get some Mazda 6 rims for my P5. (shown below) I was wondering if the rims will fit? I know they will bolt up just fine, but my concern is scrubbing tires when cornering. I intend on getting some smaller tires in an attempt to keep the total wheel size close to stock.

mazda6%20wheel.jpg

Out with this nasty piece of garbage and in with the new!!! It's been like that since I got it.

Overall I'm satsfied with the replacement. Some cheap Ebay stuff that was on sale. I've made it a point to hold back on most of the cosmetic mods I want to do until the performance is up to spec or at least fixed. That is with the exception of when certain items go on sale. For example this knob. I'm debating on getting some nice stock rims from a newer Mazda I found for sale on Craigslist.

...If I go nuts with the cosmetics on my budget I'll end up with a pile of garbage like my last car...

I replaced VSS that I thought was bad. You guys know my speedometer and Cruise Control aren't working. Welp! Unfortunately that was not the answer, as the brand new one still failed. But I did find several breaks in my stock intake system, so next paycheck I will be replacing that! Any of you guys got a CAI laying around that could ship to 30045 for around $200? Hoping to do a basic setup that'll keep from hydrolocking while still being an improvement from the stock system!

Last edited:
For the idle, look over your intake tube and ensure that there's no cracks along the accordion section.

Welp! You were right about the cracks. I took your advice and ordered a CAI to replace the stock intake. First true car mod! About time. I'm on my fourth car and all I have done before is cosmetics! Ah well. Better late than never!

Okay! Serious question. I've been reading the forums for hours now and either I'm missing the threads I need or they don't exist. I'm pretty sure it's the first one...

Anyhow! I was finally able to give the P5 a thorough testing on some mountain roads (Paved, dirt, and gravel) and highways. Suspension needs to be firmer but I know how to fix that (A later ordeal...). My question is what can I do to the transmission to get a better fuel efficiency on the highway without doing an engine swap? I was getting 20 highway MPG, which is... abysmal. I have a 1976 Plymouth Fury that is getting 17 highway MPG! Not to mention running 3k at 70MPH sucks. I drive on the highway all the time! Don't get me wrong. I'd love to improve the acceleration, but I work at Walmart. Money isn't exactly in abundance!

Okay! Serious question. I've been reading the forums for hours now and either I'm missing the threads I need or they don't exist. I'm pretty sure it's the first one...

Anyhow! I was finally able to give the P5 a thorough testing on some mountain roads (Paved, dirt, and gravel) and highways. Suspension needs to be firmer but I know how to fix that (A later ordeal...). My question is what can I do to the transmission to get a better fuel efficiency on the highway without doing an engine swap? I was getting 20 highway MPG, which is... abysmal. I have a 1976 Plymouth Fury that is getting 17 highway MPG! Not to mention running 3k at 70MPH sucks. I drive on the highway all the time! Don't get me wrong. I'd love to improve the acceleration, but I work at Walmart. Money isn't exactly in abundance!

If you're only getting 20mpg on the highway, you have other problems. I'm not thrilled with 3500 RPM either, but the engine doesn't seem to mind.

With the stock trans, I've been getting a 26-28mpg average, mostly highway at 75mph.

Okay! I dropped my P5 off at the Mazda dealership to get a thorough comb over and it's not good news...

The VSS works fine. The issue is that the gear between the VSS and the rest of the transmission is gone, and Mazda doesn't sell that gear. (Anyone got a spare?)

The oil burning when I cold start the car is being caused by bad valve gaskets. There is a lot of sludge build up from the previous owner, and they recommended that either I rebuild the entire head or scrap the car. I plan on going the route of replacing the engine itself. That being in mind, do I just stay with stock or dish out a bit more and get the turbo? I'm not sure what I will need to do to go about this, but I will start perusing the forums as soon as I post this to get a general idea.

Okay! I dropped my P5 off at the Mazda dealership to get a thorough comb over and it's not good news...

The VSS works fine. The issue is that the gear between the VSS and the rest of the transmission is gone, and Mazda doesn't sell that gear. (Anyone got a spare?)

The oil burning when I cold start the car is being caused by bad valve gaskets. There is a lot of sludge build up from the previous owner, and they recommended that either I rebuild the entire head or scrap the car. I plan on going the route of replacing the engine itself. That being in mind, do I just stay with stock or dish out a bit more and get the turbo? I'm not sure what I will need to do to go about this, but I will start perusing the forums as soon as I post this to get a general idea.

The MSP engine is internally the same as the P5. You can swap the turbo peripherals at a later date if you prefer.

dealerships are full of s***. the ring gear part number is G501-17-341A. It retails for 15 bucks.

Rebuild the head. If you want a ton of power sell the car and buy something else. Otherwise you are in for a s*** ton of work and money.

After a lot of thought I believe that I'm going to replace the bad gasket and flush the inside to get rid of the sludge. According to the dealership, it's really bad. I'll decide from there whether or not it needs a complete rebuild. I get the nagging feeling the dealership was just trying to rob me of my money and the internals are just fine. I know that I want this car to last a lot longer than the last one I had, but at the same time if I don't need to do it, then why spend the extra money?

Wow. It's been a while. Time for an update!

First off. I installed an Injen intake! Fantastic addition. I love the growl I get now when I'm driving hard. I painted my valve cover while replacing my gasket. Nothing too fancy, I just got bored. I also installed a Number One strut bar, but I don't have pictures of that.

Today I replaced my rotors and installed my Tokico Blue struts and Sprint springs. Thanks Protege99! Didn't take much to clean them up.

Getting started on installing them. Bottom's up!

Here's the final product. Due to some complications with a completely rounded nut it was dark by the time I was done. I passed the shoe test though! (Any other MCM fans out there?)

As you can see in that last picture I am starting the process of removing the door trim as well. That's all I have for now!

Last edited:
Long time since I posted, but until a few days ago I had nothing new to say!

I just got the lil P5 back from getting the new Spec stage 2 clutch and Fidanza flywheel. I'm definitely going to be doing the exhaust next. It feels like my catalytic converter is clogged. Not to mention I need a nicer exhaust. Debating between Racing Beat and OBX.

If the rain holds off I intend on doing some cosmetic fooling around tomorrow. We'll see!

I NEED YOUR HELP!

So I picked up a roof rack from a local Craigslist ad (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/5677243019.html) but all of the plastic was dry rotted and the guy broke everything off. I am in need of ALL of the plastic pieces so if anyone has them I really need them!

Also, you can see in the picture, New wheels!

ALSO! anyone near Atlanta looking for a leather interior swap? This car has them. It's in great shape too. Just a little tear in the driver door and worn down on the seat.

This is the donor car. Lol!

One more thing. Is there any way of installing the new rack without completely removing the headliner? I don't think I can do that xD

Last edited:
Back