Comparing CX-9 GT...2007 vs. 2008?

Harleigh

:
Mazda, CX-9, Grand Touring
Hi Everyone! I am new here and am enjoying everyone's thoughts on the CX-9's. Due to buying a house below street level last year I finally have an excuse to buy a CX-9, which I am thrilled about! I of course have a Grand Touring appetite with a Sport budget, so I am choosing between two used vehicles, both immaculately maintained as far as we can tell.

The 2007 is the White Mica Pearl color that I love, fully loaded with NAV/RES, sunroof, rear-view camera, tow package, etc... with 45K highway miles on it for about $3K under KBB and fits well into my budget.

The 2008 is one of the grays (not sure which it is called, but gray is my second color choice) with Nav, rear-view camera, no RES with only 15K miles on it. It is about $2K under KBB but still higher than my budget before taxes, fees, etc...

Is the difference between the first and second years of the CX-9 with the change in the engine so great that there is a noticable difference?

Does anyone here have any thoughts on purchasing one with such high mileage as the 2007 as opposed to the 2008 with such low mileage?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice you are able to give, I appreciate it!

Depending on the in-service date, the manufacturer warranty might still apply on the 2008. If not, I would consider the 30K mileage differential between the two and lean toward the lower mileage vehicle, but if you have budgetary concerns as well, that may dictate which way you go. If you do the 2007, you might want to consider an extended warranty. Best wishes, either way!

Hi Everyone! I am new here and am enjoying everyone's thoughts on the CX-9's. Due to buying a house below street level last year I finally have an excuse to buy a CX-9, which I am thrilled about! I of course have a Grand Touring appetite with a Sport budget, so I am choosing between two used vehicles, both immaculately maintained as far as we can tell.

The 2007 is the White Mica Pearl color that I love, fully loaded with NAV/RES, sunroof, rear-view camera, tow package, etc... with 45K highway miles on it for about $3K under KBB and fits well into my budget.

The 2008 is one of the grays (not sure which it is called, but gray is my second color choice) with Nav, rear-view camera, no RES with only 15K miles on it. It is about $2K under KBB but still higher than my budget before taxes, fees, etc...

Is the difference between the first and second years of the CX-9 with the change in the engine so great that there is a noticable difference?

Does anyone here have any thoughts on purchasing one with such high mileage as the 2007 as opposed to the 2008 with such low mileage?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice you are able to give, I appreciate it!

Our first CX-9 was a 2007 and the 3.5l engine is (in my opinion) a better engine than the 3.7l. You will not be able to tell any performance difference even by driving both back to back. Our 2007 avg. 17 city/26hwy while our 2011 with the larger engine cannot get above 22mpg on the highway and only 15mpg in town. Why Mazda felt like they had to go to the bigger engine is a mystery. A 6 hp difference is negligible.

There have essentially been two updates to the CX-9 through its lifespan. The 2008 got the displacement bump from 3.5 to 3.7L. Then the 2010 got some exterior/interior changes. I never drove the 3.5L but recall reviews saying the car felt underpowered at times. Also, it was not until the 2008 came out that the CX-9 started winning many awards and comparison tests, many of which attributed improved performance to the bump in displacement. Then again, jrtouareg's comment above says that the difference is negligible and he actually preferred the 3.5L. Sounds like you prefer the 2007 and the car better fits your budget...maybe that's worth more than any other information...

Although "they" say that the only change to the engine was the actual bore size... I'm sure there were other misc. minor upgrades to parts here and there in the engine. Also, for manufacture dates beginning either in April or May of 2008, you don't have to worry about the transmission valve telling the engine to reduce to minimal power which is a big safety issue. (see several threads on here about the transmission valve issue) although personally, I believe that if you have the factory towing package, this issue would not apply as the trans has an exterior cooler pipe for the towing package. Oh another thing, the guages on the instrument cluster did not have the luminescent blue rings in 2007. Mine is a may/2008 production, and has the blue rings, I think it started some time in 08'. You may check to see about the indirect blue lighting, not sure if 2007 had that or if it was in different locations (more indirect lights or less lights). BSM (Blind Spot Monitoring) which works VERY WELL was not an option on the GT's until 2008. Also, there were some substantial paint issues regarding failing panel edges and liftgate premature rust with the 2007 models as well. My vote is 2008 or later. They worked out a good amount of small issues for the 2008 model. You won't end up with more out of pocket costs with a 2008. I wish I had a 2010 model because all the kinks have been worked out except for the failing armrest padding on the newer models which don't apply to the 07 or 08, but my budget only let me get the 08 after some good negotiations.

Definitely the 08. Not that it matters to me (though it may to you), someone said previously that the 3.5 is manuf by Ford whereas the 3.7 is from Mazda.

Not sure what's the price below KBB is, but I think an 08 GT w/ 15k miles with the options you listed could be had for around $25k?? If not lower? Gas prices are very high now. Most big SUVs are not going to be selling like hot cakes. Try negotiating harder.

1 year difference plus 30k miles difference is worth at least $3k more at trade-in or private sale IMO.

Definitely the 08. Not that it matters to me (though it may to you), someone said previously that the 3.5 is manuf by Ford whereas the 3.7 is from Mazda.

Not entirely correct.
Mazda took the 3.5L Duratec and did two things
- increase the bore to make it 3.7L
- revise intake manifolds
Mazda calls them MZI 3.5 and 3.7 respectively.
Anyhow, these engines are sourced from Ford w/ or w/o modifications by Mazda.

Is there any public references to the claim that MZI 3.7L is made in Japan?
I personally doubt that. "made" is a complex word to define nowadays.
Mazda probably imports most engine parts of MZI 3.7 from Ford (Duratec 3.5),
re-process some of them, and incorporates other self-made parts together.
(my guess)
The final assembly of the MZI 3.7L is definitely in Japan.

Not that it really matters that much to me where it is made (US or Japan).

Is there any public references to the claim that MZI 3.7L is made in Japan?
I personally doubt that. "made" is a complex word to define nowadays.
Mazda probably imports most engine parts of MZI 3.7 from Ford (Duratec 3.5),
re-process some of them, and incorporates other self-made parts together.
(my guess)

What I've heard in the past is Mazda ships the engines (3.5 and 3.7) to Japan and tunes it to their preference. Different intake and exhaust manifolds. Mazda ignition. They use the Aisin 6 speed transmission (which is the best 6 speed auto available to date) and the Ford Edge with the same engine uses a 5 speed Ford trans. The Edge just this year became available with a 6 speed auto as an upgrade option. The Aisin 6 speed auto is used by the Cayenne/Q7/Q5/Touareg and the MB R SUV. I've driven a Ford Edge and there is no resemblance between the 2 engines after Mazda has done their own tuning.

What I've heard in the past is Mazda ships the engines (3.5 and 3.7) to Japan and tunes it to their preference. Different intake and exhaust manifolds. Mazda ignition. They use the Aisin 6 speed transmission (which is the best 6 speed auto available to date) and the Ford Edge with the same engine uses a 5 speed Ford trans. The Edge just this year became available with a 6 speed auto as an upgrade option. The Aisin 6 speed auto is used by the Cayenne/Q7/Q5/Touareg and the MB R SUV. I've driven a Ford Edge and there is no resemblance between the 2 engines after Mazda has done their own tuning.

Cayenne/Q7/Touareg come with 8 speed auto now.

Cayenne/Q7/Touareg come with 8 speed auto now.

Yep, picking up my 2011 TDI tomorrow. Wifey drives the CX-9. I was getting well over 25 mpgs around town stomping on the gas pedal at every traffic light when I test drove one for 3 days when they first came out in December. 0-60 in 6.9 sec according to Car&Driver. Well over 30 mpg on highway and can tow 8000 lbs. And that's with full time AWD. Diesel is the way to go

Yep, picking up my 2011 TDI tomorrow. Wifey drives the CX-9. I was getting well over 25 mpgs around town stomping on the gas pedal at every traffic light when I test drove one for 3 days when they first came out in December. 0-60 in 6.9 sec according to Car&Driver. Well over 30 mpg on highway and can tow 8000 lbs. And that's with full time AWD. Diesel is the way to go

Congrats on the new ride!

I have a 2011 Q7 S-Line with the 333 HP SC V6. I'm averaging 19.5 MPG in my every day driving, which was a surprise to me.

For some folks, the mere mention of Ford and Mazda in the same sentence turns them off. Little do they know the Mazda and Ford engineers often work together in the same building.

Maybe not so much after Ford is no longer majority stake holder. Been a while since I was last in the Ford WHQ building.

Thanks, everyone! I have to apologize as I am new to this forum and have no idea how to subscribe to my own thread! I appreciate all the replies and input, thank you!

After seeing both vehicles and checking out a few more between 2007-2010, I did end up purchasing the 2007 Pearl White Mica CX-9 and it is beautiful! It was by far in the best shape out of all the cars and I can honestly say I have no idea how on earth the previous owner put 44K miles on it...there aren't even any rock dings on the front bumper, let alone any mars in the paint, no door dings, etc... It's almost like they flew it over the rest of the cars to get to where they were going! It is in impeccable condition and for the price, I am more than happy with it, and I don't feel like I had to break the bank to feel like I'm in a luxury car! I'll try to attach some pix if I can...

I drove it to the Bay Area yesterday and though I've never had a ticket in my entire life, I told my husband I have a feeling I just might in this car...I was doing 80 mph and felt like I was going about 30...this could definitely cause me some trouble! I think I'm going to enjoy being a Mazda owner! Now if only I can figure out how to reset the Navigation-was still set on S. CA where car is from and then when we tried to restore factory settings, it now only recognizes towns in PA, which is where I assume the car originally came from???

Also working on getting the correct plug for a 2nd Generation iPod Touch to work with the 2007 auxiliary plug...it seems there is some confusion on which is the correct cable, argh!

Other than that, I'm off to get it detailed today before taking it to show my family. I am loving driving my new toy! Thanks for all of your support, everyone! I think I finally figured out how to subscribe to the thread, so hopefully I will be a better participant from now on!(hi)

Attachments

• Mazda CX-9 2.JPG
    Mazda CX-9 2.JPG
    471.6 KB · Views: 385
  • Mazda CX-9 1.JPG
    Mazda CX-9 1.JPG
    333.1 KB · Views: 401
  • Mazda CX-9 5.JPG
    Mazda CX-9 5.JPG
    555.8 KB · Views: 396
I would have to agree that if you find one in perfect shape, and it is an 07, then yes, get the 07 over the 08 any day of the week. I wanted an 09' but my 08 was in perfect condition (but for the door trim, which was taken care of by the tsb for free).

It is clean...enjoy it, but watch that speed. You don't want to be contributing to the CHP fund.

Back