Cold Engine bogs badly when raining

iluvmacs

:
2003 Protege ES
I searched around and didn't find anything useful, so lets see if anyone else has a similar issue.

If I leave my car outside and it has been raining I have some engine problems. I've noticed this since I got it, but it's rained a lot recently so I'm getting ticked.

The car bogs hard from idle to 2500 RPM. If I rev past 2500 it "wakes up" and runs normally. Otherwise, it acts like only 2 cylinders are working and has barely enough power to get moving.

This stops as soon as the engine is warm, about 2 minutes later. Again, if I rev higher (wears clutch and I don't like to do rev with a cold engine) it doesn't happen.

I need to go get the CEL code but I haven't had time. I'll send an update. I'm pretty sure it's going to say misfiring.

Ok, so now to figure out what's wrong. I originally though it was the ignition system. Since we have 2 coils, I figured 1 didn't like humidity and cut out. I have a CAI which I haven't changed the filter on since I got it (2 years, but only 15k miles). I don't think I'm sucking water, because the engine speed wouldn't fix the problem. The VTCS has been removed, but the problem only exists in the rain, not the cold. I've noticed a different performance issue with the VTCS removal in extreme cold.

So, has anyone had problems with the ignition coils?
Does it sound like a water/intake issue?
Does my MAF need to be replaced, or is it having issues with humid air?
Does the VTCS have something to do with this?

I'm leaning towards the MAF or ignition. Since the problem doesn't exist past certain RPMS, I believe it's computer related, and since it doesn't exist when the car heats up, it could be related to the ignition or open/closed loop.

Any suggestions?? Thanks.

no, not water intake. Probably just running in open loop (super rich) mode. Get that code read and I think we'll be a lot more useful to you :)

have you checked for vacuum leaks? have you ever change the plug wires?
are you using a CAI?

I've heard of weird cold engine issues with the 02 and newer ECUs with the VTCS removed but not as bad as this!

CAI yes

Original plugs (replacements sucked so I took them back, need to get new plugs), wires, and ignition.

Never checked for vacuum leaks, never considered (shouldn't apply to this issue.?...?)

CEL P0301, which is the one I usually get, I think it's misfire, but I forgot.

Thanks for the quick response, that was really quick!

plug wires plug wires. that's what happened when my sparkco wires got wet.. when I went to remove them I got shocked :p piece of crap. OEM spark plug wires ftw :)

edit: it's more than likely that your coils are fine, but the two plugs that are attached with wires are the ones misfiring. You could start up the car, witness the misfiring, and then shut it down right away and pull the plugs to see. When I did that two plugs (the ones not directly under coils) were dripping (argh)

as for new plugs.. check out the NGK ZFR5F-11, you can pick them up for around 8 dollars for the set at an auto parts store. If they want to know the model name, just tell them it's a 2000 Protege with the 1.6 litre engine, I think that's the stock plug for them (or maybe it was the ZFR6F-11 for them, not totally sure right now).

Last edited:
Yes, look down 1 post lol
Kansei said:
as for new plugs.. check out the NGK ZFR5F-11, you can pick them up for around 8 dollars for the set at an auto parts store. If they want to know the model name, just tell them it's a 2000 Protege with the 1.6 litre engine, I think that's the stock plug for them (or maybe it was the ZFR6F-11 for them, not totally sure right now).

iluvmacs said:
Any suggestion on what kind of wires to get?

I'd go with OEM wires (30-ish dollars) or NGK wires (probably the same price).

It's something you'll probably have to order though. I paid over 100 dollars for crap spark plug wires because I needed them locally same day.. yeah (blarf)

Thanks for the suggestions. I got NGK plugs for the 03 protege, not the longer ones. I'll try those another time. I also got the NGK wireset. I'll post if I see an improvement or if the problem didn't go away.

Thanks!

Wow, glad I put some info in the first post because I forgot all about this.

No, the problem hasn't gone away, but it's slightly different now. I haven't had any issues with rain in a couple of years, so I guess the original symptoms are gone. However, I have a dirt driveway that gets lots of puddles. If I go fast through the puddles and keep on the throttle, after coming to a stop the engine starts stalling. I would say that the symptoms are different but the issue is the same.

I'm still on the same coils, wires, MAF, and CAI. I have changed the plugs and air filter. I rebuilt the engine and ported the head, so my vacuum is way lower now.

Honestly, I get a little mad at the car but it starts right up after it stalls, and it only happens when I'm about to turn the car off in the garage anyways, so I haven't pursued fixing it.

Your coil packs could be bad or the plastic broken if that's the case increased moisture from the rain will make them not work properly or at all

One day on the highway the plastic under the intake space in the bumper unscrewed itself and got eaten up by the pavement. I took that opportunity to fab up a fiberglass replacement that would pull air at a much lower pressure from the wheelwell, at the same time with a bit of a baffling effect. The result has been a significant improvement in water suck. Granted the puddles pretty much go beyond the design.

The coil plastic could be an issue, but since everything works fine unless I drown the cars, I'm going to keep them installed.

Back