COBB shifter weight impressions

Kain

After installing my CP-E CAI, the stock counterweight came within a 1/4" of hitting the pipe in 3rd gear when parked. I wasn't about to find out if engine movement would make up for that 1/4" and put a dent in my CAI. I flipped the counterweight as per CP-E's instructions, but then found out it hit a fuel line in 4th gear. lawl.

So I took off the counterweight and liked the shifter feel much better right away (I wondered why the stock shifter movement was heavier than I was used to). Still, it felt a little too light, so if the first porridge is too hot and the second is too cold, then order the COBB.

cobb_shifter_weight.jpg

You can see the COBB weight is much smaller than the stocker, and it's advertised as 2/3rds of a pound lighter. Running through the gears it clears everything by a comfortable margin. And driving it is even better. It's a happy median, giving the shifter some heft but not too much like stock. Overall, it was definitely worth the $25.

I also took off my shifter weight and felt it was too light without any weight, so I put it back on. I have been looking at the Cobb weight but don't want to spend the money when there may be a way to reduce the stock weight. Did you consider cutting the stock weight?

I also took off my shifter weight and felt it was too light without any weight, so I put it back on. I have been looking at the Cobb weight but don't want to spend the money when there may be a way to reduce the stock weight. Did you consider cutting the stock weight?

I don't have the tools to fiddle with the stock weight. For $25, it was worth not having to buy/borrow tools and spend the time. Plus I want the counterweight as is in case I need to throw it back on if I need the tranny or shifter linkage warrantied.

My stocker hit my FMIC pipe thus I took it off. I purchased the Cobb one and happy again as it clears everything. It works well with the Cobb STS :)

Your right, I better not cut up my stocker until the warranty expires. Mazda might try to say it caused my power window to fail.

check with the jsc speed sponsor forum here...they should have them.

If JSC Speed has whatever I'm looking for, that's where I get it. One-day delivery (for me at least since I'm close to the shop) and no shipping costs on COBB parts if you speak with Aaron directly. $25 shipped beats even ordering from COBB itself by several dollars.

Oh man, its not even painted cobb blue....

It's funny that you mention that because I've toyed around with the idea of powdercoating it red.

Last edited:
My stocker hit my FMIC pipe thus I took it off. I purchased the Cobb one and happy again as it clears everything. It works well with the Cobb STS :)

looking into fmic kits, which one do you have?? getting the cobb counter weight ahead of time will save me headaches!

did I read the correctly if I buy from COBB and speak to a rep they'll eliminate shipping cost ... after shipping costs its not worth it and I looked again at JSC and it said out of stock is that not true?

looking into fmic kits, which one do you have?? getting the cobb counter weight ahead of time will save me headaches!

I run the ATP FMIC for now. I like it a lot but I would go with Cobb if I had a choice. But for $400 I could not pass up on the ATP with a HKS BPV (2thumbs)

did I read the correctly if I buy from COBB and speak to a rep they'll eliminate shipping cost ... after shipping costs its not worth it and I looked again at JSC and it said out of stock is that not true?

Shoot Aaron a PM. If you're a forum member he waves the shipping costs. I got mine from him as well. $25 shipped.

Latest posts

Back