Cobb AP whats the deal?

:
mazdaspeed 3, ford probe gt
so i just ordered my cobb accessport and for the most part im excited. however, i was looking through the cobb tuning site and was surprised to find that all the other APs out there net WAY more power for there cars, even the 2010 speed 3 is claiming 18.5% gain in WHP! the 07-09 speed 3 is only 3.5% hp. am i missing somthing or is the tune for the 1st gen speed 3 not as good.

im actualy considering canceling my order, can some one explain this? and if you have one let me know how you like it.

right now i only have a mscai. but i have plans for rear mm, bpv, turbo inlet and maybe dp. will i see any noticable gains with the ap with those mods? or should i move to a different tuning solution.

Last edited:
well given that im only going to be mildly build i was just looking for a flash turner, or do i need the pro tune?

Well, obviously you have to pay for the pro-tune. I'd recommend it, but ATR is free with the purchase of your AP.

hey dude,

It's a must to have a pro tune once you get all your mods installed. I just got mine done I love the car more than ever now...lol

thanks for the responses, i think im going to stick with my purcess, ill let you guys know how i like it. so at what mod level does an ap become worth it? lol after a downpipe? FMIC?

you need to do a lot of reading before you start ******* around with atr....

protune isnt necessary as long as all your parameters are in check. which means you need to do lots of data logs to make sure your not overboosting, leaning out, your cdfp is ok, etc

i made 285whp/320wtq with an intake/inlet and protune @ 16psi a while back, im much more modded now

i really dont intend on messing with it, its my DD. i have some experience with tuning, i tuned a 97 pontiac grand prix with a ZZP DHP awhile back and got 440WHP lol. i know what goes into it and dont want to do it again, thats why i was looking into a simple flash tune. but unfortunately it sounds like the maps that come with the AP arnt very good:(

i do look forward to some data logging

that sounds sweet, mine isnt anywhere close to that. what kind of dyno?

just an fyi conventional tuning goes out the window with this platform. the ots maps are a good starting point. usually simple things like recalibrating the maf sensor are enough to dial the car in. my numbers were on a dynojet at a local dyno day, uncorrected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKPvuVBmH_w

skip to 3:20

cool, nice numbers for the mods you had. well if i decide to mess with it i will hit you guys up for help then lol. i plan on data logging anyway. so really the ap can help even with just intake mods, that helps, now i can justify spending $600 on this thing.

What this guy said

i have looked into this and it does look cool. but the price of the HT tune and a dashawk would be more than an AP. so i decided to get the AP. kinda the reason i started this thread was to make sure i was doing the right thing. most of all if i ever want to get more aggressive i can with the AP.

I have had an AP and got rid of it for the hypertech. Car feels much smoother and natural with the HT and plenty enough pull for me. Way to much boost for my liking with the AP. Yeah it pulled nice and hard but the numbers scared me enough to get rid of it. Plus there was nothing smooth about the AP off the shelf maps. Jerky as %$#k. My only mod is a MSCAI. Well, a RMM too.

If you plan on getting a lot more mods or are obsessed with WHP numbers, get the AP. But if you are asking questions now, I'd leave the tuning to the pros.

The ht will maximize the potential of the stock turbo, and safely at that. But once you get mods that will overwork the stock turbo or expect too much from it, like a complete exhaust setup that will quickly overcome the stock wastegate's ability, the ap+professional tune or another turbo plus ap+professional tune would be better

personally i dont like a 1 size fits all tune, its basically the same concept as an OTS map tailored to your mods. problem with the HT is, if there is an issue or something that requires minor tweaking, youre ******. with the AP you can adjust as necessary

Latest posts

Back