Clunks and grinding with 6 speed manual?

beckster

:
CX-5 Sport 6 Speed
2015 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD w/ 2900 miles.

Just to preface: I learned to drive on standard and have had multiple people tell me I'm the smoothest stick driver they've ever rode with. I've been driving stick for years. Not to sound like I'm bragging; I'm just concerned there may be something wrong with my clutch or transmission.

I've noticed a few times shifting up and down in first, second, and third gears, that despite having the clutch in all the way to the floor, it just does not want to shift. I can ease it in slowly (takes two or three seconds), but if I try to quickly shift, it grinds and pops out of gear. And this morning, when downshifting into 1st at a stop sign (going maybe 3 mph) there was this horrible loud clunk and the car shuddered, even with the clutch all the way in.

It happens more frequently when it's cold out, and I haven't noticed a pattern around certain RPMs.

Am I just stupid or could there be something wrong?

Last edited:
Not stupid but, this MT may need some additional miles to loosen up?

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering the same thing... Maybe I'll just wait until my first service and see if the problem gets better or worse by then. My '04 Mazda3 was hard to shift when it was cold (I live in upstate NY), but it didn't clunk/grind like this, it just felt stiff.

I wonder if anyone else has had issues with the 6 speed for the CX-5?

I've had the same issues here and there when I first got my cx5 only w 1st, 2nd and reverse. Been driving manual for 10 years w several different cars and have had the same problem at times so I believe it's normal. It's just something that happens some times but if its repeatedly happening then it's something that should get looked at

What you're describing is not normal. Don't wait; take it in now for diagnosis!

Because it doesn't always happen, I'm worried I won't be able to replicate it for the dealer. But I may have it checked out just to be safe.

I've had the same issues here and there when I first got my cx5 only w 1st, 2nd and reverse. Been driving manual for 10 years w several different cars and have had the same problem at times so I believe it's normal. It's just something that happens some times but if its repeatedly happening then it's something that should get looked at

How many miles do you have and does it still have issues? Have you noticed any patterns?

My co-worker (mechanic) used to work at a dealership and said it might be the slave cylinder, so I'll probably make an appointment to get it checked out.

Because it doesn't always happen, I'm worried I won't be able to replicate it for the dealer. But I may have it checked out just to be safe.

How many miles do you have and does it still have issues? Have you noticed any patterns?

I'm at 44k miles and it rarely happens but will once in awhile a week or so was trying to put it in reverse and it was stuck for a sec

The first thing I would check is clutch pedal free play. You should have 1/2" at the top of the pedal. More than that and there's a chance you're not getting full disengagement at/or near the bottom of the pedal. Mazda has a long and storied history of shipping cars (including LOTS OF Miatas!) with improperly adjusted clutches. Or to be more precise, improperly adjusted clutch pedal free play. There is an adjustment for this on the clutch rod at the top of the pedal. It's quite easy to adjust free play and can sometimes offer dramatic improvements in clutch function.

The first thing I would check is clutch pedal free play. You should have 1/2" at the top of the pedal. More than that and there's a chance you're not getting full disengagement at/or near the bottom of the pedal. Mazda has a long and storied history of shipping cars (including LOTS OF Miatas!) with improperly adjusted clutches. Or to be more precise, improperly adjusted clutch pedal free play. There is an adjustment for this on the clutch rod at the top of the pedal. It's quite easy to adjust free play and can sometimes offer dramatic improvements in clutch function.

I went out on my lunch break to see if maybe the floor mat was interfering with the pedal (it wasn't) and I pressed it to the floor with my hand. There is some "give" before it feels like the clutch is engaging, though it's hard to tell how much exactly. I'll check it again after work.

I'm at 44k miles and it rarely happens but will once in awhile a week or so was trying to put it in reverse and it was stuck for a sec

Hmmm... Yeah it doesn't happen too often with mine, maybe once every other week or so. But the hard clunk I heard this morning has me worried.

My reverse used to jump out sometimes, not done it for months, and occasionally was a little hard getting it back out of reverse to neutral. Since it was reverse I wasn't too bother, if I had your problem, would take it to the dealer and let them drive it for a few days to experience it (hopefully).

My co-worker (mechanic) used to work at a dealership and said it might be the slave cylinder, so I'll probably make an appointment to get it checked out.

If it was a slave cyl issue, it would be every single gear, not just certain gears. Slave cyl doesnt care what gear your in.

My reverse used to jump out sometimes, not done it for months, and occasionally was a little hard getting it back out of reverse to neutral. Since it was reverse I wasn't too bother, if I had your problem, would take it to the dealer and let them drive it for a few days to experience it (hopefully).

Thanks! Yeah, I left a message with the service department a couple hours ago and haven't heard back yet. I'm not really a big fan of the dealership I purchased it from... Could I take it to a different one? This is my first new car, so the whole warranty and service stuff is uncharted territory to me.

Thanks! Yeah, I left a message with the service department a couple hours ago and haven't heard back yet. I'm not really a big fan of the dealership I purchased it from... Could I take it to a different one? ABSOLUTELY!

Yes, take it to a dealer you are happy with. My biggest gripe with the car is the attitude of the dealers. I use my 4th choice before I was satisfied with the work done.

Yes, take it to a dealer you are happy with. My biggest gripe with the car is the attitude of the dealers. I use my 4th choice before I was satisfied with the work done.

The dealership I bought it from called me back and said they wouldn't be able to look at it until next week, and at this time they didn't have any loaner cars so I'm basically SOL when it comes to another vehicle if they decide to keep it for more than a day.

There's another Mazda dealership close by, but I don't know what their reputation is, so I'm hesitating to call. This whole thing is stressing me out.

Hmmm... Yeah it doesn't happen too often with mine, maybe once every other week or so. But the hard clunk I heard this morning has me worried.

haven't had any hard clunks but if you notice anything out of the norm w the car when driving then I would def take it in otherwise keep on drivin =]

Back