Clear coat, or rather, not-so-clear coat

thaxman

Mazda5 the Anti-Van
The hood, tops of door pulls and roof on my Phantom Blue '06 have all had parts of the clear coat go white. On the pulls, the tops of the pulls look like they have been "powdered." The hood started looking like a sunburn peel, but then the clear coat started to just come off, leaving rough edges and unprotected paint in the center of the hood. That all started a good 2 years ago. Now the roof is failing. I thought it was due to neglect on the part of the original owner (Acquired the car after 3 years/27K miles) and that they never washed or waxed it, so the damage was done before I ever took ownership.
Well, I think I was wrong. My tailgate spoiler cracked by the hinges within the 1st year of ownership, so the dealer got me a brand new tailgate and painted it Phantom Blue to match. That was in early 2010. I have been very diligent with waxing the car because of the hood. Well, the top of the spoiler near the roof has started to show white patches that look like sunburn peel, so I know what is coming.
Anyone else have this problem? I actually discussed with my wife vinyl-wrapping the whole car in white because of the clearcoat problem, and that was before I noticed the tailgate.

Not much can be done at this point. Prep the surface for vinyl wrap or repaint.

thaxman said:
...Mazda uses cheap ass paint...
summarized it for ya :) yes, but that is known. This has been a Mazda problem for a very long time, up there right behind bottom of the barrel material quality.

Weird thing is that I have only seen 1 other Mazda5 with a paint problem, and trust me, we are pretty much the pit that used Mazda5s fall into. There are 3 others just in my 1/2mi-1/2mi neighborhood.
That other one was also Phantom Blue, but what gets me the most irked is that I have been very cautious with the paint ever since I acquired the car, and the spoiler has been 100% my own care - and for only 4 years. Sure, the car is 100% in the sun 5 days/week for the entire school year, but what good is waxing if it won't protect the clear coat????
Does clear coat normally have UV-inhibitors? Do OTHER makes usually include them?

Latest posts

Back