Check engine light

I add my first CEL a few weeks ago. I went to the dealership. He made a few checks and reprograms the ECU. He told me it might come back and that Mazda was working on it. The day after the CEL came back.
They told me that the CEL problem could be link to the poor gas mileage I have. I don't know what it is in mpg but here in Montreal I have an average of 6l per 100km. When I go to the gas station I have the feeling I bought a Hummer.

I hope they will find the problem soon.

CEL & idling

When I picked up my car from the dealer Friday night after having the PCM update, remote start installed & some of the other owed service, the manager told me that I should avoid idling the car unless I actually drive it as that may trigger the CEL. Apparently they have found that when the staff would run the cars on the lot just to warm them up (it is Alaska), they would end up with CEL on.

Has any one else heard that?

I don't plan on starting my car unless I'm going to drive it anyway. I recall my salesman telling me that because it's a turbo, not to let the car idle for very long in any event, just long enough to get warm.

Last edited:
I thought somehow i was gonna be "immune" from the CEL, however my 1st came in today at almost 1800 miles... I was hoping its not a big issue, will be bringing it to the dealer tomorrow..

I can now feel the pain some of the owners here are having (pissed)

CEL gone now but it was ON the whole time yesterday..

has anyone experienced the same on & off occurences of the CEL?

Thanks

CXRabbit said:
The code they pulled was P2006, meaning a malfunctioning IMRC (Intake Manifold Runner Control) Valve. There are two ways to go... they can fix it or replace it, but apparently Mazda can't produce them fast enough (I've heard this elsewhere too)... SO, the Service Manager told me that he HAS to do the fix first... Mazda is telling them they cannot replace it unless the fix fails.

He said they did the fix and the car is running great - no more codes. They also gave me a new PCM update... no details on the update though.

I'm going to pick up the car tonight... I'll be interested to see if the IMRC fix puts me back to the slightly better gas mileage I was getting a few weeks ago.

I brought the car to the dealer now, i have the same problem with IMRC valve.. they will have to order the parts yet & my CX7 will be staying there for the weekend until the parts arrive (hand)

Question for you fellow CEL sufferers. My Mazda dealer says "its not a big problem, we'll get back to you when we have a fix" - so how can you tell the difference between a CEL for this so called minor problem, and something perhaps more serious???

I can't keep scheduling a service appointment everytime the CEL comes on - in my case that requires a 24 hour drop off - I'd be without the vehicle half the time.

Its been three months since my first CEL and its been coming on/off almost daily since then.

This CX-7 is really starting to feel like a "beta" test vehicle. Perhaps it could have used a few more months in development and testing??

jrpembe said:
Question for you fellow CEL sufferers. My Mazda dealer says "its not a big problem, we'll get back to you when we have a fix" - so how can you tell the difference between a CEL for this so called minor problem, and something perhaps more serious???

I can't keep scheduling a service appointment everytime the CEL comes on - in my case that requires a 24 hour drop off - I'd be without the vehicle half the time.

Its been three months since my first CEL and its been coming on/off almost daily since then.

This CX-7 is really starting to feel like a "beta" test vehicle. Perhaps it could have used a few more months in development and testing??

You can go to Auto Zone and get it scanned for free. Takes about 5 minutes max.

papaalex said:
CEL gone now but it was ON the whole time yesterday..

has anyone experienced the same on & off occurences of the CEL?

Thanks

Me too my car's CEL goes on anf off and I don't know why.

IMRC Problems

papaalex said:
I brought the car to the dealer now, i have the same problem with IMRC valve.. they will have to order the parts yet & my CX7 will be staying there for the weekend until the parts arrive (hand)

I have had the same problem. In the last 2 months my car has been in the shop 5 times, as my CEL has been on and off for the last 2 months. Each time it has been the IMRC valve. The first time they said the Mazda Techline told them to move the valve two inches forward to tighten a spring. Picked the car up a day later. When I got in to start the car, CEL was ON!!! They then said they would have to order me a new part and call me when it was in. After a month, I still hadn't heard from them. Called them to find out where the part was. Come to find out the Mazda Techline told them they had to now try and move the IMRC valve 2 inches back to loosen the spring and that a new part was not required to fix the problem. Took the car in and they moved it again. After about 30 miles of driving the CEL came back on. Now they said they could order me a new part. Left the car at the dealer and a week later picked it up. Finally the light was off. It stayed off for about two weeks and came back on. Car is currently at the dealer awaiting yet again a new and improved valve, which should fix the problem. I live at high altitude and was told Mazda never tested at high altitude or in a very cold climate, so they never found this problem. Apparently I will have one of the first CX-7 with this new and improved IMRC valve. We'll see.....

CX-7 Driver said:
was told Mazda never tested at high altitude or in a very cold climate, so they never found this problem.

not surprised at all. you can tell, this car has been a different vehicle during the winter.

Finally, the CEL appeared for the very first time last Fri and I have 1547 miles on the car so I called the dealership for an appointment Tuesday. On Sunday, it disappeared so I guess whatever, but I still intend to have it checked. On appointment day, it reappeared like it sensed that the car is due for checking.

It is FIXED and this is the culprit:

VSC SHUTTER VALVE TSB

ACTUATOR, VSCV

Well, I hope it doesn't reappear like a bad habit.

Is there a TSB for the shutter valve issue yet? I'm having the CEL problem and my dealer acts like he's never heard of it. I'd like to cut all the crap and 10 trips to the dealer if I can just take them the info & get it fixed right the first time.

mikey1981 said:
not surprised at all. you can tell, this car has been a different vehicle during the winter.

I very much agree, my CEL came up when it was that "cold" here in TX (sick)

Well I'm driving my CX-7 in Calgary, Alberta. We're at 3300 feet above sea level and this winter we had several days at -30 degrees celcius. Over the past couple of weeks the temperatures have gone up above freezing and my CEL is off. Not sure if elevation and temperature have anything to do with the CEL problem, but if so, then it was probably a bad idea to buy one here! Still no word from my dealership about the original CEL visit I made two months ago. Wonder if they forgot ;)

Im pretty sure what trips the CEL, to go on and off randomly, in most cases its cold weather, is the shutter valve code.

For a full week mine went on and off, and i made a post about it a while ago (might have been one of the first reports of the shutter valve and drilling the solonoid) due to a week of extreme cold weather. I knew something was up as well, the engine wasnt running right, not that I knew what was wrong, but you could tell something was up.

CX-7 Driver said:
Apparently I will have one of the first CX-7 with this new and improved IMRC valve. We'll see.....

had my second CEL again today at 2200 miles (1st one was last month due to IMRC) this time it was due to an IMRC again! (hand) apparently they just modified the solution last month and made a "bigger hole", maybe that could also explain why i had a 2mpg drop since the last CEL :bs:

Anyway this time, the technician told me that they're going to change the "solonoid switch" which is a new part from Mazda which will be arriving next week.. I could bring the vehicle home till the part arrives..

is it really ok to drive the CX7 despite the CEL turned on? and is there really ANYONE AMONG US WHO IS IMMUNE from this CEL problem?? (protest)

papaalex said:
had my second CEL again today at 2200 miles (1st one was last month due to IMRC) this time it was due to an IMRC again! (hand) apparently they just modified the solution last month and made a "bigger hole", maybe that could also explain why i had a 2mpg drop since the last CEL :bs:

Anyway this time, the technician told me that they're going to change the "solonoid switch" which is a new part from Mazda which will be arriving next week.. I could bring the vehicle home till the part arrives..

is it really ok to drive the CX7 despite the CEL turned on? and is there really ANYONE AMONG US WHO IS IMMUNE from this CEL problem?? (protest)

It is fine to drive it. The MS3's have the same issue. Seems like people who are in warmer climates may be immune from having the CEL come on.

I too was concerned about the CEL.

When I asked about it, I was told that as long as it is intermittent and not constantly flashing, not to worry.

My two cents worth.
For what it is worth, I had a reflash done and the dealer said that they would order a new part. Before the part came in, I drove for about a week and there was no CEL. The temp in mid-NY state was between 15 -30 degrees Fahrenheit.

I have had an interesting week. Took in the cx-7 last week to have the new shutter valve installed and the new PCM update applied. Both were applied, but when I got in my car the CEL was on! Brought it back to have the CEL code cleared and be on my way. This time they said an "oxygen sensor" was tripping off the CEL and needed a new part. This is now on backorder and my cx-7's CEL light has been on for about the past few weeks now, with no solution looming in the near future.

Check Engine Light

It is exactely 2 years that i have purchased a 2005 Mazda 3 GT- automatic transmission, and what do you know CHECK ENGINE LIGHT has come on. The car only has 33,300 Kms . I turned the car off in case was a miss read, but when i turned back on the light was still there. I checked all fluids, and they are all good.

Took the car to the dealer on Friday and SCAN CODE # P2188 came up - PURGE VALVE WAS STUCK and PURGE SOLENOID LEAKING and were replaced by the dealer under warranty.

25 kms down the road guess what (flame) CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (flame)

Taking it to the dealer again on Monday - since they are to busy to fix something on Saturday for a problem that looks like it was not fixed.

Back