Check engine light

they are trying to fix the flutter valve without replacing it. My service adviser kinda explained it, but not really. Basically they are trying to fix it without replacing it. Mine kept my car for a few extra days so they could order the part and just replace it. Apparently some of these parts are troublesome and they are having problems keeping stuff in stock.

cel came on about 1000 mi had new gas cap put on cel acme on again about two weeks later dealer had to replace the gas tank filler tube, cap would not seal no more cel.

I filled up my CX-7 Thursday evening (Sheetz-premium gas) and I didn't end up taking it out again until today, Tuesday. (OK, so I feel bad driving it in the snow......) Anyway, when I got in the car this morning, I noticed my CEL was on!! I have used the remote start here a few times over the past few days when I wasn't using it. I just bought the car January 2007 and have 706 miles on it. The car came from OH, since it was the only Black w/ Black leather in the area. I asked about the gas cap recall, since I did some research prior to purchasing. They told me that had already been taken care of. I'm going to call my Mazda dealer this morning and see what they have to say. I sure hope I don't regret my new purchase. I'll let you know what happens.....

cx-7_Girl said:
I filled up my CX-7 Thursday evening (Sheetz-premium gas) and I didn't end up taking it out again until today, Tuesday. (OK, so I feel bad driving it in the snow......) Anyway, when I got in the car this morning, I noticed my CEL was on!! I have used the remote start here a few times over the past few days when I wasn't using it. I just bought the car January 2007 and have 706 miles on it. The car came from OH, since it was the only Black w/ Black leather in the area. I asked about the gas cap recall, since I did some research prior to purchasing. They told me that had already been taken care of. I'm going to call my Mazda dealer this morning and see what they have to say. I sure hope I don't regret my new purchase. I'll let you know what happens.....

my first cel was at 680 miles. dont sweat it, itll be ok ;)

mikey1981 said:
my first cel was at 680 miles. dont sweat it, itll be ok ;)
OK the CEL was on since yesterday but gas cap was snug as far as I could tell. I decided to try gassing it up and puting the cap back based on what a dealer told someone to do in one of these CX7 forums. Sure enough the CEL light went out. Not sure what this means... supposedly my dealer took care of the cap predelivery or it did not need it. Also someone posted a series of VIN that had the problem and mine was not one of them. Also they indicated that cars delivered after a certain date would have the gas cap replaced. Mine was delivered after that date. I find it hard to believe mine is not gas cap related since filling it up took care of it... unless the problem is in the gas fill neck that someone else aluded to.

cx-7_Girl said:
Well, we took it to the dealer, and of course the light was off. They got the code off of the computer it read P0300 - random misfire. The service guy asked me if the car was running different or felt odd. I only drove it a short distance this morning, but nothing was noticeable. Service guy says there has been a lot of CEL, but when they check them, they can't find anything wrong. He said it could have been the gas, I guess these systems are very sensitive, so he says. So I'm keeping my eye on it. Anyone else get the P0300 code??

Only 2500 miles and this is the second trip I'll have to make to the dealer regarding the CEL. First time it was "fixed" via a new gas cap, now I don't know what it is. Getting a bit annoying taking this thing to the dealer once a month. Glad its only a lease. Anyone else have mult CEL problems after the dealer has "fixed" it?

*dealer says it might be a "swirl valve".....we'll see

Last edited:
XCELR8 said:
Only 2500 miles and this is the second trip I'll have to make to the dealer regarding the CEL. First time it was "fixed" via a new gas cap, now I don't know what it is. Getting a bit annoying taking this thing to the dealer once a month. Glad its only a lease. Anyone else have mult CEL problems after the dealer has "fixed" it?

*dealer says it might be a "swirl valve".....we'll see
My CEL came back on, but I'm not sure what is causing it. Mazda is going to have a serious problem on there hands if they can't figure this out. I don't know about other states, but where I live a car can't pass inspection with a check engine light on. While the cars are under warranty it is not an issue.

LOL.... maybe they can just take out the bulb!!!!! (stooges)

update.... took it in yesterday and it was the swirl valve. some solenoid type thing that mounts in the throttle body and opens/closes. guess the factory mounted it in the wrong spot and the dealer had to re-tap holes and mount it in a differ location. said they've done three like that in the last couple weeks. hope this is it.

The iMRC is the valve that everyone is having trouble with .My dealer tried to "adjust it". that failed after 2 weeks. They put a new redesigned part on today so well see if that solves the problem. Dealer told me that I was the 2nd car this week that had the redrilling of the holes fail and a new part had to be ordered.

yea the last 2 posts & mine all sound like the same problem. I will keep updating if mine becomes an issue again after the "drilling"

meanstreak said:
Filling mine up with gas turns the light back off. The second time it came on was about 60 miles after a fill-up.

The filling up with gas remedy no longer eliminates the light though I still believe it is something fuel system related. Yesterday it when out by itself, but then back on again. I hate having to bring it now with about 2400 miles because It will need it's 3500 mile service soon. I average about 70 miles a day so that will be pretty soon. I just hope I can't do any harm driving anout 1100 miles without having it checked out.

The other "common" problem for CEL now seems to be the IMRC Valve. My dealer confirmed so yesterday when we talked. He admitted to seeing a few CX-7 with the problem.

Just got the check engine light. Dealer also mentioned he's seen a few CX-7's in due to a valve, related to the extreme cold we've been having (MI).

If I get any updates I'll post something.

Update on my Recent CEL

I dropped off my CX-7 at the dealer last night for CEL and other issues.

They code they pulled was P2006, meaning a malfunctioning IMRC (Intake Manifold Runner Control) Valve. There are two ways to go... they can fix it or replace it, but apparently Mazda can't produce them fast enough (I've heard this elsewhere too)... SO, the Service Manager told me that he HAS to do the fix first... Mazda is telling them they cannot replace it unless the fix fails.

He said they did the fix and the car is running great - no more codes. They also gave me a new PCM update... no details on the update though.

I'm going to pick up the car tonight... I'll be interested to see if the IMRC fix puts me back to the slightly better gas mileage I was getting a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
Goodluck to you Rabbit. Hopefully, there will be no more CEL. Anyways, I thought you already had the PCM update done? Is there a newer version? I had mine done and at first, I was iffy about it since I cannot feel the boost or surge anymore but the shifting was smooth. I love it now and I feel that my gas mileage is improving. More on this on a related topic.

I had an update right around Christmas and I THOUGHT it was the "hesitation" update because I clearly felt a difference in the boost/surge when coming from a dead stop, or during a rolling start.

But they did do another PCM Update... I don't know if it's a globally available one, or if it has to do with the IMRC Fix specifically.

shrexster said:
Just got the check engine light. Dealer also mentioned he's seen a few CX-7's in due to a valve, related to the extreme cold we've been having (MI).

If I get any updates I'll post something.

Got the car back from dealer, the CEL was do to a shutter valve. They replaced it. Also, I had this annoying vibration from the back bose speaker, I always forgot to mention it, but this time I remembered and they fixed that. Also, had the Auto headlight feature adjusted, they adjusted the sensitivity on it, now it doesn't go on as much when I go under a overpass or something.

Got the update for hesitation, it feels soooooo much better now. I hated how it switched between 6th and 5th gear around 60MPH.... now thats all gone.

Back