changing ac condenser

Tzar177

Contributor
Looks like a may be installing a msp turbo kit on my mp3. Does changing to the msp condenser require me to release all the freon in the system?

Yes it does, once the a/c lines are disconnected from condensor all the freon comes out. But have it evacuated at a garage first.

Is it absolutely necessary to change the condenser or is it possible to get stock smic to fit? Also, could I buy those cans at autozone and recharge my freon or would I need way more than a can?

Is it absolutely necessary to change the condenser or is it possible to get stock smic to fit? Also, could I buy those cans at autozone and recharge my freon or would I need way more than a can?

If you want to install a smic, then the msp condensor is a must since it is smaller in length compared to the n/a condensor. Once the condensor is replaced and lines reconnected, you have to take it back to a garage so they can pull the moisture and air out of the a/c system first before any freon is put back in.

Isnt there a way they can bleed the freon into a tank to save it, then install it into new condenser to save money?

You can charge it with cans, just make sure to vacuum the system and make sure it holds for at least 5 minutes with out leaking pressure. Unless you have gauges and a pump it's best just to go back to whoever recovered the freon. I charge 15 to service ac, but that's just to hook uo gauges and charge or add freon. To remove the freon prices vary. The guy I use charges $40. Freon is serious shizzle. If it gets on your skin you can get frostbite, it will freeze your eyeballs if it blasts them. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just warning to use extreme caution when handling freon. Also replace any o rings as cheap leak insurance. Also add the proper amount of approved compressor oil to replace what was in the other condenser. 1-2 oz should work if you can't find specs. Good luck.

How do you add the compressor oil? Shop manual says to use 5oz of ATMOS GU10 oil

Last edited:
Adding compressor oil

There is 2 ways to add compressor oil. The first way is to add the recommended amount of compressor oil to the condenser before vaccuuming and recharging the system. I usually drain out the old oil from the other compressor into a small cup and then I add that same amount to the new condensor. Not all the oil will drain out of the condenser so just put a little more than what drained out of the old one. The other way is to add it in a small can with the freon. They sell small cans of freon with oil mixed at parts stores. Just make sure the oil is the proper specification.

Good luck, pm me if you have any other questions...

So once you pay a garage to have your A/C evacuated, it's perfectly fine to recharge it with the cans of R134a, as long as you have one of those basic pressure gauges that some of them include?

Yes, unless you change out a part of the AC. Then you would need to have the system vacuumed again before the recharge

Back