CF Hood getting cloudy.

:
2006 Evo MR
I have a VIS cf hood and it is getting cloudy. Do any of you know how to get this out? It appears to be just the top layer or so. Any advice on how to take care of this issue?

ViS from what I know just uses clear coat with no real UV coating. You can try wax and polish, but you'll most likely have to get it re-clear coated.

i wouldnt use any wax because that will make the buffing process a little bit harder. i would however first try just buffing with some rubbing compound. the only thing is that if the buffing doesnt take it off you might have removed a couple layers of clearcoat that sanding might go through all the way, so the following steps should be taken as a last resort. id get some 2000grit some people go as course as 1000 but i dont like using it. get a bucket of water then get lightly sand it keeping the sandpaper wet.then get a buffer with a foam pad and use some rubbing compound. if that doest get rid of it, strip it and paint it white. as for brands we use 3m everything but i am guessing that any other maker should do the job just fine.

Just for my future reference, how long have you had the hood on? Also, do you garage park or is the hood outside day and night?

hellcat said:
I have a VIS cf hood and it is getting cloudy. Do any of you know how to get this out? It appears to be just the top layer or so. Any advice on how to take care of this issue?

I have had it for about 2 years. It has been parked in a garage about half of that time, and another 1/4 of the time in well shaded areas. I have only waxed it twice and if I would have known that VIS didn't have any UV protection in their coating then I would have taken some sort of step to keep it looking good longer. Never really been satisfied with the fit either. If you need anymore info. I will be glad to answer what I can.

Hey, we all have our own tastes. I like the way it looks when the sun hits it. I'll probably buy another one sooner or later.

to each is their own, I don't like the offset of colors, hows about you paint all but the section comming off of your grille, so it matches some, and you have contrast that isn't such a hard line? Then you have a custom one off look and you can pinstripe it. I think you'd be pleased, and the exposed CF section you leave can have a thin clear white over it so it doesn't cloud yellow and it blends in with the car better.

Back