CEL on and off =/

MIKECRPR5

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
A few weeks ago my check engine came on, i shut my car off while i was driving and turned it back on and it was still on. but when i got home and turned my car back on a few minutes later it was off...but then it came on again, and shuts off for a few minutes every once in a while. i dont drive the car much during the week, usually only drive to the town next to me every friday and saturday night

the CEL didnt start coming on until a couple weeks after i put a new exaust on it, but that same day i put the catback on i also took part of my intake off, but then i put it back on and had no problems with it.

so theres only 3 things i could think of:
1) the exaust
2) messing with the intake
3)there is a recall for the 03 p5 intake manifold that i never had replaced

any ideas? im borrowing a friends obd2 scanner tomorow to see...where do i find what the codes mean?

My code reader prints the code on the screen with the meaning or explanation. If yours doesn't, it has a dictionary of meanings in pdf form somewhere.

A few weeks ago my check engine came on, i shut my car off while i was driving and turned it back on and it was still on. but when i got home and turned my car back on a few minutes later it was off...but then it came on again, and shuts off for a few minutes every once in a while. i dont drive the car much during the week, usually only drive to the town next to me every friday and saturday night

the CEL didnt start coming on until a couple weeks after i put a new exaust on it, but that same day i put the catback on i also took part of my intake off, but then i put it back on and had no problems with it.

so theres only 3 things i could think of:
1) the exaust
2) messing with the intake
3)there is a recall for the 03 p5 intake manifold that i never had replaced

any ideas? im borrowing a friends obd2 scanner tomorrow to see...where do i find what the codes mean?

Did you start the car while the intake wasn't hooked up? that would cause the CEL to light. When i was tinkering with my intake i got a CEL and it went away after a few miles (50?) of driving.

union county

gas cap is tight enough

the code is P2009, which is (IMRC) Circuit Bank 1 Circuit Low

im not too carsmart, so i dont have a clue what i need to be looking at. i have an exhaust leak between the flange connecting my midpipe to the cat, but i fixed it, although sometimes it comes back

if anyone could help me out id really appreciate it. thanks

arite...well im gonna take it to mazda because they have to fix the recall on my intake mani for free..if that doesnt work i"ll take it to autozone and see

the code was p2009, not 0209

arite...well im gonna take it to mazda because they have to fix the recall on my intake mani for free..if that doesnt work i"ll take it to autozone and see

the code was p2009, not 0209

oh....i know i had it one time and i forgot to plug that o2 sensor(the one on the mani) back in.....

There is actually no code listed in my '02 repair manual that is P2009 or P0209 (all the O2 sensor codes begin with P01XX). Of the two codes that even have a "9" in them, there is one related to the VTCS solenoid being bad, so you might want to check to see if both of those solenoids on top of your intake mani are plugged in.

Back