Catalitic converters 1 or 2

upsman

:
'00 JDM converted sedan
Hey all

I don't have a MP3. I have a'00 Pro with a JDM FS-ZE 2.0L engine swap and wanted to compare some parts with cars that are more similer to mine (now). I was just wondering if someone could tell me how many catalitic converters a MP3 has. Is it the same as the Pro's where the California cars have 2 and the rest have only one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hope you don't mind me pposting without a MP3

Thanks
Jeremy

I am pretty sure the MP3's have 2. There is one right on the header, then one farther down, and also a resonator farther down. I live in NC so it is not just a cali thing.

We all have the 2 cats. One just under the exhaust manifold and one under the car. It sucks ass! Do you know of any high flow cats that will fit? BTW, post here anytime, you are the first that I know of to have the FS-ZE swap. Was it very complicated to do, and how much was it?

Yep Yep! Two Cats. Meow Meow HEHE
And no we dont mind you posting here, just because you dont have an MP3 doesn't mean you are not welcome. :cool:

Originally posted by Ben:
<STRONG>We all have the 2 cats. One just under the exhaust manifold and one under the car. It sucks ass! Do you know of any high flow cats that will fit? BTW, post here anytime, you are the first that I know of to have the FS-ZE swap. Was it very complicated to do, and how much was it?</STRONG>

Hey Ben,

I mentioned these guys before: http://www.randomtechnology.com/

They do have a direct fit for several 2 litre Mazda engines. So those may fit. But you'll have to check out the dimensions. They also have universal fit. Apparently these guys are some of the best.

Just my .02 cents.

Thanks guys for the info guys. I know that some of the Pros have only one cat. My friend Jeremy ( same name as me...go figure ) has the same swap as me ( go figure again ) but only had one cat on his car. I thought that I got a Cali car on accident since we both live in VA. Anyways I was just curious as to what system you guys had. I had to replace my lower cat. The dealer called the system "Cali" spec or something. The one with 1 cat is called something else. I can't remember b/c it was awhile ago.

BTW yes I raced him and we are even so I don't think the x-tra cat slows us down. Either that or I'm just a better driver. :D

Thanks again and since you don't mind I'll post here also!!!

Jeremy

Ben,

Forgot to answer your ? It will cost about $4000.00 to do the swap. It isn't hard but there is always some little thing that will slow you down. Mine was a crank sensor and "other" Jeremy had something else that gave him a problem. Thats normal with doing a swap tho. It is a direct bolt in and you just use your accessories and belts. ECU work will need to be done also. We are the guinea-pigs in that catagory right now.

Jeremy

Yesterday I emptied out the second cat. (They stopped doing emissions testing down here.) It doesn't seem to hesitate as much when you're taking off. I thought it would sound a little tinny, but it didn't.

Back