Carputer in Mazda 3s

mobomelter said:
the sad fact is not many places run secured networks. i mean honestly if anyone really wants to steal my bandwidth i'm not too worried about it.
FYI Mazda of Kent has a un proteted Wi-FI Network

Awesome! I see you are a member over on http://www.mp3car.com too. SO am I. I should have my carputer project finished in the next few weeks. Just waiting on my Xenarc which should be shipped this week.

mmmmm. . . carputers. . .....me and ahmad started something here lol. . .let me see your stuff pat when yours is done. . lol i should go over to tx one time to meet all you guys over there

Just updatin you guys, by the weekend I should be able to control the radio thru the carputer. Just waiting for my supplies to come in.

Also I should have the backup camera mounted and hooked up. I tested the camera, and its pretty nice, it adjusts to the amount of light. So when i pointed it at myself in my car it was kinda dark, but then when I pointed it outside where its real bright and first it was impossible to see anyhing but in a second it compensated for the brightness and pictute was great.

By tonight Ill have some pics up on the site of the carputer running my navigation software. (iGuidance)

Mine won't be anything fancy, just a laptop setup running to an in-dash VGA screen, and Routis GPS and the Haltech E6X Electronic Gauges. :D

Updated with 2 new pics and a GPS info section in the other page.

And I had to move the GPS mouse because reception wasnt too great. I have it on the roof now and its excellent. Between 10-12 sat locks all the time!

traitorhound said:
mmmmm. . . carputers. . .....me and ahmad started something here lol. . .let me see your stuff pat when yours is done. . lol i should go over to tx one time to meet all you guys over there

heh, guess i dont count anymore eh? ;)
im just too quiet about mine maybe. :p

too bad you had to mount an external antenna for the GPS. would an automatic car wash sweep it loose? any plans to make the HVAC controls electronic as well?

Airman Jack said:
too bad you had to mount an external antenna for the GPS. would an automatic car wash sweep it loose? any plans to make the HVAC controls electronic as well?

Touchless wouldent affect it, the magnet is very strong. I dont use automatic anyway, so I dont woorry about that.

No plans to make HVAC electronic since to switch between floor, defrost etc, my HVAC still relies on the old metal pipe thing. Now if i had climate control then it would be a real possiblity cause those systems are pure electronics.

My GPS Mouse has a magnet inside, but where I have mine mounted on the front window, I get 9 Sattelites easy!

Put a few newer pics up. I modified the skin so it matches our ed interior!

screen19.JPG

Updated the page with 3 new pics. A writeup for the screen mount will be coming soon in the FAQ page.

I installed a toggle switch to manually control when the computer starts up or shuts down.

why didn't you just mount the comp under the seat and put the screen where a factory nav screen would have gone? that way you wouldn't have to run all those damn wires and you would still have the deck in its place, or better yet put the comp in that big ass glove box and leave the deck where it was? not being a prick tryin to figure out why you did what you did if it was just to have the screen in the dash or other reasons, mostly cause i am looking to do the same thing but was just plannin on puttin the comp in the glove box?

tsunami said:
why didn't you just mount the comp under the seat and put the screen where a factory nav screen would have gone? that way you wouldn't have to run all those damn wires and you would still have the deck in its place, or better yet put the comp in that big ass glove box and leave the deck where it was? not being a prick tryin to figure out why you did what you did if it was just to have the screen in the dash or other reasons, mostly cause i am looking to do the same thing but was just plannin on puttin the comp in the glove box?

Why would i want to put the computer under the seat and have it visible? I like things better when people only see the final product and not everthing leading up to it.

Computer was a little to big for glove box and you will have ventilation, heating issue.

Putting the screen where stock nav would go kinda defeats the purpose of having a touchscreen cause i would need to bend over real far everytime i wanted to switch songs. Also it would cost a lot to make a custom kit to mount the screen where stock nav goes.

how would it be visible under the seat? if you run the wires properly know one would know, makes sense about the screen though... would deffinatly be a pain to reach over where the stock nav screen would be.

a fan or two in the glove box could fix the vent will have to see if what i am thinking will fit though.... thanks for the help man just tryin to figure things out...

tsunami said:
how would it be visible under the seat? if you run the wires properly know one would know, makes sense about the screen though... would deffinatly be a pain to reach over where the stock nav screen would be.

a fan or two in the glove box could fix the vent will have to see if what i am thinking will fit though.... thanks for the help man just tryin to figure things out...

how are you gonna run wires without them being visible? Plus the computer does make noise, you'll be able to hear it.

Anyway, i finished the writeup for the screen kit. Its a good option and solution for only 20 dollars.

nappyjim said:
how are you gonna run wires without them being visible? Plus the computer does make noise, you'll be able to hear it.

Anyway, i finished the writeup for the screen kit. Its a good option and solution for only 20 dollars.

run the wires under the carpet and then through a hole under the seat? thats just one of many options through the moldings and then through a piece of the right colored conduit to hide them till they are under the seat, either way there are ways to hide wire (trust me i do a crap load of it at work!!)

will check out the screen install/write up... thanks for the info man!!!

Very nice setup. I got the same kind of thing runnin in my protege. I made a custom plexi-glass case for my computer to fit under the passenger seat. No visible wires, and it's not loud at all. Nice job with the install though. Looks tight.

Back