Cargo Area Cover with Power Liftgate- has anybody found one?

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
One of the few things that I don't like about my CX-9 is the lack of a cover for the cargo area. Everything that won't fit in the bin under the rear floor panel or under a seat is exposed for anyone to see!

Mazda has a Cargo Cover as an Accessory, but it is NOT for models with the Power Liftgate. My 2012 GT has the Power Liftgate.

In the photo of the item on the Mazda website, it doesn't appear to be attached to the liftgate in any way-

15CX9_CargoCover.jpg

Why won't this work with the Power Liftgate? Has anyone found an alternative that will work with the Power Liftgate from another source? I'd love to know if one exists!

I think the size is different more space taken by the motor for the power lift gate.
Just get the Windows tinted/add the OEM sun blind mesh on Windows in the back it will help, and will improve as well heat in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the few things that I don't like about my CX-9 is the lack of a cover for the cargo area. Everything that won't fit in the bin under the rear floor panel or under a seat is exposed for anyone to see!

Mazda has a Cargo Cover as an Accessory, but it is NOT for models with the Power Liftgate. My 2012 GT has the Power Liftgate.

In the photo of the item on the Mazda website, it doesn't appear to be attached to the liftgate in any way-

15CX9_CargoCover.jpg

Why won't this work with the Power Liftgate? Has anyone found an alternative that will work with the Power Liftgate from another source? I'd love to know if one exists!

see picture in post #1 of this link,

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123839737-Poor-Man-s-Cargo-Cover-for-CX-9-Power-Liftgate

in your picture, that's the non-power liftgate model, it's doesn't show the extra powerlift gate motor vertical black push-up link bar, and the extra bulge that intrudes into the cargo area (driverside)

also note, Avidien's picture of the powerlift gate model, it doesn't have "hooks" molded into the cargo plastic pillar panel trim, so even if you buy the OEM cargo cover, there's no place to hook it to, once you pull the cover you need to align the horizontal rigid cover bar with "hooks" BUT there are no hooks on the powerlift gate models.

I got one of those dog cover aka "poor man's cargo cover" like Avidien, it work's great to cover everything fast and it's cheap ! I'm not going to spend over $200 for a cover.

In all honesty, hindsight, I don't think the powerlift gate was worth the extra money, it's so damn slow that I hardly use it anyway.

Last edited:
wouldn't a small blanket do the trick and collect less dust in the process? ; )

yes, but a blanket is not waterproof and doesn't stay in place and starts to collect mold and mildew, that dog cover has two loops that loop around the headrests. It may sound like a small detail but those loops really work, I just pull the flap at the trunk door end it covers everything without worry about the 2nd row end not being covered and I dump my wet umbrellas on the waterproof side all the time without worrying about the cargo area getting wet.

My concern with using a blanket is that it would appear uneven covering whatever was in the cargo area. It would basically announce, "I have something under here that I don't want seen/stolen!"

I've found that most items I don't want seen can usually be concealed by raising the 3rd row and putting them behind it. But it would still be great to have a cover for the entire cargo area when the 3rd row is folded down, as it usually is.

If there is one advantage to not having a cover, it forces me to keep the rear cargo area fairly neat all the time. =)

Back