Car Starter...good/bad?

italgal02

:
2004 Mazda 3s (4 door)
One more question while Im on here...

My old car had a car started on it, and i LOVED it. I wake up about 545 to be at work by 630 so int he cold weather its worth it. Now the thing is my old car was Automatic.... my 3 is Standard... I hear that a dealer or seller wont put one on, but im sure I can have it put it on by someone I know.... now my question, is it possible and should i do it?

I think you're refering a Remote car starter. You can definitely put it on in a manual car, I had it on my Celica 6-sp, bought the remote start at BJ's for like $65, and had my friend put it on for me for like $50. The 3s has immobilizer system, so you need to give the installer a key to put it into a module, to trick the car that a key is on the ignition when started.

Last edited:
remote start on a manual

There is no problem with putting remote start on a 5pd. I install them daily. Now for the 3 theres a couple of extras.

1 the key has a transponder in it. The car will not start if the key is not sensed. a bypass must be added. I use a DEI 555u

2 the car needs to see the clutch pushed in. So 1 extra relay is added to bypass the clutch switch

3 the keyless entry is a digital 1 wire. relays and resistors are used.

drop me a line if you need any more info

italgal02 said:
One more question while Im on here...

My old car had a car started on it, and i LOVED it. I wake up about 545 to be at work by 630 so int he cold weather its worth it. Now the thing is my old car was Automatic.... my 3 is Standard... I hear that a dealer or seller wont put one on, but im sure I can have it put it on by someone I know.... now my question, is it possible and should i do it?

... feel like taking a trip to Connecticut to do it for me?? HAHA
I called 2 places yesterday to ask f they would do it, the 1st place which is a very respectful buisness said no and the 2nd place which is not so much a s*** hole, but not as nice said of course..... i dont knwo if i trust the 2nd spot though.....

If anyone from CT knows somewhere good, drop me a line id appreciate it!

jsmayda said:
There is no problem with putting remote start on a 5pd. I install them daily. Now for the 3 theres a couple of extras.

1 the key has a transponder in it. The car will not start if the key is not sensed. a bypass must be added. I use a DEI 555u

2 the car needs to see the clutch pushed in. So 1 extra relay is added to bypass the clutch switch

I spoke with someone on friday and they swore to me that it couldnt be done for many reasons, one insurance reasons (which is bulls*** because my cousin is my isurance agent) and he also said because the fact its a 5 spd more then likely it will be faulty and not always work.... I think im going to call up mor eplaces even if i have to drive 2 hours, because its cold as hell here... If anyone from CT knows anywhere good, drop me a line plsssssssss!

jsmayda said:

remote start

Well it sounds like I need to open shop there cause if they wont do it I should be. The place that said they would find out a little more about them. Take a look at the work they do and go by that. And tell them you dont want to see a single crimp connect anywhere in the system. They go bad and that is your ignition system.

italgal02 said:
... feel like taking a trip to Connecticut to do it for me?? HAHA
I called 2 places yesterday to ask f they would do it, the 1st place which is a very respectful buisness said no and the 2nd place which is not so much a s*** hole, but not as nice said of course..... i dont knwo if i trust the 2nd spot though.....

If anyone from CT knows somewhere good, drop me a line id appreciate it!

Have you asked your dealer yet? (dumb question)

In Canada, mazda dealers put them on cars all the time. Of course, we aint Canucks.

italgal02 said:
I spoke with someone on friday and they swore to me that it couldnt be done for many reasons, one insurance reasons (which is bulls*** because my cousin is my isurance agent) and he also said because the fact its a 5 spd more then likely it will be faulty and not always work.... I think im going to call up mor eplaces even if i have to drive 2 hours, because its cold as hell here... If anyone from CT knows anywhere good, drop me a line plsssssssss!

I got my car in Canada and that was one of the accessories proposed by my dealer. I bought it. The dealer did not install it, they sent the car to a local wind shield replacement place specialized in the installation of these remote starters. Mine works well.

I'm now living in Florida and use it frequently to cool off the car. The only problem I got is that the mechanics at the dealer here in Florida are not able to start the car. There are all kinds of protections installed on the system to make sure the car will not start when it's in gear so it makes it a little bit tricky when you start it without the remote starter.

My car is a 5 spd.

just before i left selling mazda's there was a remote start comming out for the 3. It was a mazda part w/ warranty. Not sure if they limited it to the auto's though.

my car is 5 spd, circuit city put mine on and i havent had any problems with it.
just make sure they hook it up to your e brake so that your car wont jump if you have it in gear

One other thing to keep in mind with a remote start manual is that since your not actually disengaging the clutch anymore, the starter is having to turn the added weight and resistance of the guts of the transmission. I don't think it is a big deal but just keep it in mind.

with the protege its easy, because we have a neutral safety switch, it goes to ground when the car is in neutral. I just used this for my car, it will only remost start in neutral with all doors and the hood closed... dont know about the "3" though...

Compustar 2WSS-AS: gotta love it.

Last edited:
RyanJayG said:
with the protege its easy, because we have a neutral safety switch, it goes to ground when the car is in neutral. I just used this for my car, it will only remost start in neutral with all doors and the hood closed... dont know about the "3" though...

Compustar 2WSS-AS: gotta love it.
I have vipers top of the line alarm and starter. Love it......it makes it impossible to start the car if the correct steps are not done while turning the car off. you also can't open trunk, doors, hood after the car shuts off and is set to start. a nice addition to my car last sept after someone broke into my car......my neighbor caught them right as they got in. she was like, "what the hell is ryan doing to his car at 3:30 in the morning." she scared him off and called the cops for me! got nothing but the remote for my radio......bastard!

i talked to the place that put my starter in to price one out for my g/f's new jetta and it was expensive for her car. dam germans make it hard to by-pass their chip keys, ignition system, and the fact it is a 5-speed. she never had one on her last cars, so why does she need one now? she has me to drag my ass out there on the cold nights and morinings.......

Last edited:
Door Lock/Unlock is on a single wire using a 1K Ohm resistor.
Mazdas do not a clutch bypass. ( Relay)
As for the Immobilizer, there is a Transponder Bypass that exists that does not need an extra key in the vehicle.

As for the car starter, on manual vehicles, the car starter demands a certain procedure before it can actually start.

On models like the Compustar, you have to have the car running, handbrake on and your foot off the brake as you remove the key, exit the vehicle and then lock the doors.

Other models actually make you press a button on the remote before turning the ignition off.

Car starters have really improved in the last while, to the point where it's almost annoying to do the whole procedure for remote start.

I didn't do that, that way sucks, I used the neutral safety switch, its a pink wire on the tranny, goes to ground when in neutral. I used that to give ground to the relay, allowing the car to start...

For the first couple weeks, it might be a pain learning the steps but you get used to it by habit. I left my lights on a couple times and killed my battery becasue the car is running when you get out (can't get the warming chime to come on); you learn though.

There was some relay that was put installed to trick the ignition system to think that the clutch was pushed in so the starter would fire.

Starters are great in the winter time.......

Back