Car pulsates at high speeds...

MoJoeTCM

:
Mazda, MSP Protege
When cruising at speeds over 85 (I know it is bad to speed, but i drive on the highway 30 mins to and 30 mins from work everyday) I get a very akward rumble from one of my rear tires. I am not sure what it could be although i checked my tires for tread wear and so forth. This pulsation began to occur after i installed my rotors from **********. At the same time i rotated the tires myself...At regular speeds i do not have this problem so i am just wondering what it could be.

Is it because the tires need to be balanced?

Is it because the rotors are warped and need to be turned? They are brand new, does it require it?

Is it because i lowered my car over two months ago? (never had this prob till the rotors)

(boom07)

that is what my bets are on.....anyone else have this issue...btw i know i saw this in the past...but does anyone have a very faint clicking noise when driving at slow speeds? it sounds like the rotors make this weird noise?

Hm. I'd guess it's an out-of-balance tire too but it's weird you notice it now, especially with it in the rear. The fact that it didn't happen until you did your brakes does imply that it could be a f-ed up rotor too...but yeah if they're brand new it shouldn't be that...although manufacturing defects are always possible I suppose. So yeah...I guess this post was of no help hahahaha!

Maybe rotate the tires again just to see if the rumble moves to a different spot. Also, I do get an occasional ticking sound when going slow ... mainly while turning. I guess I don't notice it much anymore though - it either went away or I got used to it.

Ok, I did the same thing last weekend or so. I installed new springs and some used drilled & slotted rotors in the rear and the ass end makes this resonating vrump, vrump, vrump sound like something is warped????

I wonder if one or both of these rotors are warped???

did you remove the protective coating from the rotors?
Your supposed to wipe them with brake cleaner before actually installing them.

I've heard stories about people not doing it then the rotor, breaking, or gumming up the pads, then ruining the rotors.

I was just about to post the same question.I actually have the exact same problem but I haven't installed new rotors so I think its a balancing issue. I'm going to go tomorrow after class and get them balance so after I test it out I'll let you guys know if it worked.

P.S. MoJoeTCM Does your steering wheel wobble a lot when braking b/c mine is doing that as well.

Last edited:
gen1pro said:
I was just about to post the same question.I actually have the exact same problem but I haven't installed new rotors so I think its a balancing issue. I'm going to go tomorrow after class and get them balance so after I test it out I'll let you guys know if it worked.

P.S. MoJoeTCM Does your steering wheel wobble a lot when braking b/c mine is doing that as well.

This has nothing to do with my rotors i think, they were cleaned btw, i bought the zinc plated ones. I think it is a balance issue as well, but what would i do if there was a defect in the rotor? that would blow if i had to buy another set.....i cant say what it is because i rotated and did the rotors all at once...

Gen1pro.....the pulsation coming from the steering wheels means you need to turn your rotors, it cost about 30 to 50 bucks at midas, usually the front ones....for some reason on proteges if the rotors warp even to the slightest bit you will feel it. Just remember the more you turn them the quicker they warp.....

apocman said:
Ok, I did the same thing last weekend or so. I installed new springs and some used drilled & slotted rotors in the rear and the ass end makes this resonating vrump, vrump, vrump sound like something is warped????

I wonder if one or both of these rotors are warped???

hmmmmm used might explain that problem...but you can turn them if that is the case.....did you rotate the tires too? Also at what speed are you traveling?

Last edited:
please let us know!!!!! gen1

Moe, I will get this done ASAP and post results as well. I am also going to get an alignment and balanced

good luck everyone

of course I'm in the middle of an engine swap so once done, I will begin the above mentioned...

Well I just came back from getting my rotors turned and that fixed the pulsating while braking. I won't be able to get my tires balanced until Wed. so I'll update everyone then.

it was a balancing issue....i had a flat and plugged the rear tire. I was incapable of taking my tire to get some air so i used fix a flat. This caused a bubble gum looking substance to build up on one side of the tire after driving it. This threw off the balance and now i need to buy a new tire. Fortunately i can still drive on this tire till it is completely worn out. So the rims i bought about a month ago wont be installed till nov 13....b-day time....

!

Yea i had the same problem with the tire thing, i just went and got them balanced and i got my car aligned at NTB for 65 bux for free alignments for a year as many times as i want and it went away. but that was a while ago, but it seems its starting back up again so maybe ill go get another alignment and balance.

yea

i have this same problem with mine, im getting a wheel alignment next week to fix it. Mine goes from the left side of the car to the right at around 85-90 is when it starts. I found out it was my alignment when i took my back drivers side tire to be patched and ended up having to get a replacement becasue the whole inner sidewall was bald enough to see the cord. It was constantly losing pressure.

Latest posts

Back