Can you hear the turbo spooling sound with a CAI?

Well the thing to look for besides the obvious of HP gain & torque gain is the what type of air temp is going in to the MAF.

I have been monitoring the stock box against 2 ambient temp gauge (one from stock connected to the OBD2, the other front mounted temp gauge in the air damp)

According to the temp at intake(OBD2 reading) its anywhere from 5-11degrees hotter than ambient while running (seems like at 75mph it's the coolest), at idle it sometimes as high as 19-30degrees.

Last edited:
wongster and astraelraen,

How are you guys liking the AEM SRI? If you had to, would you do it again? Is the noise with windows up bareable? Gas mileage? Any other input?

I'm seriously thinking about getting one myself. I'm trying to get some real world and honest input.

Thanks!

Rick

The AEM SRI is twice as loud as the CPE intake. It is loud enough that non-car enthusiast will think there is something wrong with your car. Power wise, I noticed no difference between the two intakes. I personally didn't like the excessive noise and prefer my current CPE intake. As far as water in the intake, the CPE filter is located in the wheel well which is totally sealed from rain water. When I had the AEM intake I actually threw a CEL in heavy rain once. Moisture actually got past the filter and landed on the MAFS, No damaged but I had no power past 4000 rpm until I cleaned off the MAFS. The wheel well is actually drier than the upper engine bay. The duct opening in the grill for the OEM airbox channels in outside air to the AEM intake but it also can channel in rain water. Hope that helps.

The AEM SRI is twice as loud as the CPE intake. It is loud enough that non-car enthusiast will think there is something wrong with your car. Power wise, I noticed no difference between the two intakes. I personally didn't like the excessive noise and prefer my current CPE intake. As far as water in the intake, the CPE filter is located in the wheel well which is totally sealed from rain water. When I had the AEM intake I actually threw a CEL in heavy rain once. Moisture actually got past the filter and landed on the MAFS, No damaged but I had no power past 4000 rpm until I cleaned off the MAFS. The wheel well is actually drier than the upper engine bay. The duct opening in the grill for the OEM airbox channels in outside air to the AEM intake but it also can channel in rain water. Hope that helps.

hello ricky,

i actually bought shadow1's aem short intake, and i love it.. i do notice a bit more power, and less noticiable turbo lag... been driving through heavy rians with it and no problems.. the turbo sound is actually pretty bearable... with window up.. its not noticable, ...

Back