Can you hear the turbo spooling sound with a CAI?

cdesigns

:
Mazda CX-7
I just bought the CX-7 3 days ago, but I really haven't played with it, I'm on a bussiness trip and I was wondering if I buy a CAI will I hear the turbo spooling sound? I hope so.

Anyone?

cai

just installed a cai on mine and can deffinatly hear the turbo ,the stock air box has a silencer box on it

r07cx7 said:
just installed a cai on mine and can deffinatly hear the turbo ,the stock air box has a silencer box on it

Finally a response (yippy)

Turbo cars should sound TURBOOO :D

I will be ordering a CAI soon.
thanks

Cpe Cai

I installed this about a week ago and you can REALLY hear everything that is going on now. I can hear the air coming in through the intake, the turbo spooling and the BOV.

The turbo spooling up is awesome, i can hear the BOV now as well, got the exhaust done with magnaflow and wow.

clivo360 said:
does this void your mazda warranty?

If they can prove that extra airflow damaged your engine, which would be hard to prove, then it poses the possibility. But, they could argue that with a better air filter. Now, if you damaged the MAF sensor or like installing the CAI, then you will be stuck with that bill. There is always a risk.

The install of the CPE unit was pretty easy, but it's pretty loud. Louder than I was expecting it to be. My brother had some aftermarket stuff on his little Focus (Air Intake, Throttle Body, Diablo Chip, etc.) and his intake noise wasn't nearly as loud as the CX7's.

Since it's the wifes car, she's not all that fond of the noise...I heard about it non-stop for a few days but she hasn't said much lately. Or at least not since she filled up and got 22.2 mpg. :) It was probably about 40/60 Hwy/City. I'm expecting to get 25mpg or so on the interstate. :D

cliff0529 said:
The install of the CPE unit was pretty easy, but it's pretty loud. Louder than I was expecting it to be. My brother had some aftermarket stuff on his little Focus (Air Intake, Throttle Body, Diablo Chip, etc.) and his intake noise wasn't nearly as loud as the CX7's.

Since it's the wifes car, she's not all that fond of the noise...I heard about it non-stop for a few days but she hasn't said much lately. Or at least not since she filled up and got 22.2 mpg. :) It was probably about 40/60 Hwy/City. I'm expecting to get 25mpg or so on the interstate. :D

Any noticable performance gains?

Anyone have the instructions in PDF form to see what it would take to install? Does the front bumper have to come off?

Just got my CAI delivered this afternoon and will be installing soon. I read over the instructions and all it takes is basic tools and black electrical tape. The bumper does not come off but you do have to remove part of the front fender well liner to take out the silencer. Not sure how difficult this will be since I have not investigated how this is attached to the metal inner fender.

Just make sure you turn the wheels all the way to the right BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE. Thats how I got my silencer out.

Sorry to revive a semi-dead thread, but I got the aem short-intake as well and it sounds like the engine is taking a DEEEEEEP breath after about 1.5k rpms+.

I've never had a turbo car before, it sounds pretty cool, although with the windows down, its pretty loud coming in from the drivers side window. I dunno if the wife is going to like it.

I was surprised that it didn't make the engine revs sound any louder - just the really deep sucking sound. I need an aftermarket bov or something now. You can just barely hear the stock valve with an intake.

And before anyone tells me I should have gotten the cp-e. We get some pretty crazy snow sometimes here, and I didn't want to take a chance during the winter :)

Back