Cams in a auto

:
2003 protege5
I was wondering if anyone has installed cams into their auto proteges or not, and if so did you have any problems with it?

I used to have a mazda 626 that had the 2.0L and was auto. When corksport installed their jdm intake cam they couldnt even get my car to idle right and ended up removing it and reinstalling my old cam for free.

I currently have the intake and exhaust cam from them and will be installing them when I get my student loan money.

Just need to know if anyone has experienced any issues with cams and an auto...

The only reason the cams wouldn't work is if they didn't have the gear to run the distributor and if your 626 was distributor type.

The FS-ZE is the same generation as the FS-DE in the Protege, so the cams should work as a direct swap.

Just to put some facts into discussion. ZE cam has a longer duration than DE-cam. Thus it probably runs in idle only smooth when matched with its exhaust cam. The main problem in idle is the reversion of exhaust gas flow, sucked up partly back into the intake. You can easily see this when putting a vacuum gauge on, vac is lesser in idle than a few 100 revs above.

That said, in auto, it's dependend on your transmission controller. ZE only produces more power in upper rev range. If your tranny switches too early in next gears, it may be pointless.

hmm i do think that the old car i had did have a distributor. if it did, then why did corksport attempt to install it for me i wonder?

I remember they tried over and over to adjust the air intake screw and some other things and were never able to get it to idle anywhere close to normal let alone driveable.

It was nice of them to swap my old cam back in for me though.

A ZE intake cam is in no way "aggressive" for a regular FS-DE. The ZE intake cam is exactly the same as the intake cam in the Australian and Asian FS-DEs, which have lowly compression ratios and between 130-140 hp, and our cars idle just fine, as stock. Either it was pinned incorrectly or there was some other problem.

Back