Dash cam reboots on ignition…Any ideas?

I was trying to install my dash cam using a fuse tap adaptor (on fuse #11 for accessories). I found that after I go to ACC mode, when I start the engine, the dash cam reboots and goes into the parking mode which is annoying. I tried other fuses which have power only when car is in ACC or ON mode (I don't want to drain the battery) and same problem happened. I think it's because when I start the engine, accessories lose power for 2-3 seconds. Any idea how to solve this?

Did you ever figure this out? What was the ON only fuse position you tried? How did you determine it was ON only? Are you tapping two fuses? Which dash cam?

I'm looking to do this install soon myself and trying to figure out how I can avoid this issue. Using an ON only circuit is what's recommended in this video (4 minutes in): 2022 Mazda CX-5 Dash Camera Wiring so I'm concerned to hear that didn't work

OK guys, I found the ultimate solution: Dongar Technology connector. The reason is I found that although ACC fuses lost power during ignition for 2-3 seconds, the electronics in the car (radio, AC, auto-dimming rear-view mirror) do not lose power. So I guess there must be something like a capacitor between the fuse box and the connector. Just use Dongar connectors to get power from the rear-view mirror. It works perfectly and saves a lot of wiring work!!

Did you ever figure this out? What was the ON only fuse position you tried? How did you determine it was ON only? Are you tapping two fuses? Which dash cam?

I'm looking to do this install soon myself and trying to figure out how I can avoid this issue. Using an ON only circuit is what's recommended in this video (4 minutes in): 2022 Mazda CX-5 Dash Camera Wiring so I'm concerned to hear that didn't work
Haha, I also watched that video and one of the comments below that video was from me. Actually, I tried all the ACC/On only fuses and NONE of them works during the ignition for 2-3 seconds including the one "#10 Mirror" used in the video. So just use Dongar which is very neat and easy to install!

Glad to hear you got it working!

Do you still get parking mode then?
Unfortunately no parking mode because the auto-dimming mirror only has power in ACC/ON mode. I am a little bit afraid the parking mode will drain the battery. Considering that I park my car indoor for most of the time, I decided not to use parking mode. I did all these wiring stuff instead of simpy plugging it into the 12V power supply just to make it look good LOL.

The shrink wrapped parts on the Dongar look like a couple of capacitors and a relay.
That's true. But I don't know if the capacitors etc. are part of the circuits that converts 12V to 5V. I assume that a capacitor that can support the dash cam for 2 seconds should be pretty big (around 0.2F?)

That's true. But I don't know if the capacitors etc. are part of the circuits that converts 12V to 5V. I assume that a capacitor that can support the dash cam for 2 seconds should be pretty big (around 0.2F?)
The capacitor is probably there to hold the relay closed for a period of time not power the camera itself.

I am making an assumption your original issue was caused by a power drop to the accessories while starting the engine. The Dongar adapter may be using a direct battery connection through a relay. I am just guessing since I do not have experience with this product.

I am making an assumption your original issue was caused by a power drop to the accessories while starting the engine. The Dongar adapter may be using a direct battery connection through a relay. I am just guessing since I do not have experience with this product.
Oh I see. I am pretty sure that Dongar is not connected to the battery. Dongar gets power from rear-view mirror which is only on in engine ACC/ON mode.

Back