California Mod Laws?

Zeya

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3
I'm starting to think about getting some mods. And I know there are street legality issues that come into play most commonly with window tints and maybe suspension. I live in California now, and everyone in this state seems to be all about emissions, gas mileage, and driving Priuses. So I figured I'd do a search and found this:

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/05/576.asp

That article is from two years ago, and it's kind of scary because they talk about how going after people with stickers on their windows and tints helps them find people with illegal mods and how about this program bringing in alot of cash for the state. (I like the part about "driving while asian" too... in a sad kind of amused way.)

Anyway, now I'm wondering what exactly these laws are and how much I can get away with on my vehicle. The California DMV site is about as helpful as...well the DMV.

And does anyone have stories about getting pulled over and getting slapped with fines due to modifications?

From the Article:

Under Drag-Net, San Diego officers come to train other departments how to look out for what they believe to be tell-tale signs of illegal modification such as window tinting, large spoilers, extra gauges or racing stickers. Police say this gives them probable cause to stop and inspect a vehicle and its engine compartment.

In practice, "excessive exhaust noise" tickets are the most common violation. California law does not require police to measure sound levels objectively. Instead, according to the California Highway Patrol, the "citation is based on officer's judgment."

Drivers of stock vehicles that come from the factory with some of the characteristics of modified cars have experienced harassment under this provision. One such motorist complained on an enthusiast website that the California Highway Patrol was using these programs to make "driving while Asian" a crime, pointing out that the department's own website has several pages dedicated to Asian involvement in street racing and "vehicle modification."

Does'nt California have bigger problems than stopping ricers with big spoilers and 20 gauges? They should be going after the hypocrit Hollywood crowd whom preach global warming, oops I mean climate change, and wants everyone to ride bikes while they take private jets everywhere they go.

By the way, does'nt the "climate change" everyday? Does here.

I reside in california and i got a ticket for my window tint, 35 all the way around and I had my passenger and drivers window down, he said he spotted the strip on the windshield...That was the only mod i had at the time and i just purchased the car in Nevada..I explained to him and he inspected but found nothing cause it was stock obviously but he wasnt a dick, just a fix it ticket

That sucks. One thing I'd like to mention is that you don't need to live in California to get a "driving while Asian" citation. The vehicles I used to own were definitely much sportier appearance-wise; that's what I like about my MS3 -> looks just like any other Mazda 3. I haven't been pulled over since I bought this car 1.5 years ago, and I want to keep it that way. *^_^*

I live in california and i know how it is. It isnt so much the "driving while asian" its the "driving while being a teenager/looking like a teenager". You can thank the people who that derives from. My understanding of the for mods is

-If the middle of the headlight is lower than 12 inches from the ground, its illegal
-Excessive exhuast notes (I dont know if the 93dB thing is true, but i've been hearing that people get in trouble for it regardless)
-If you have air suspension/hydrolics, dont mess with it while the car is in drive/moving
-Window tint is illegal in the front regardless of %, the rear is as dark as you want it to be. My general rule of thumb for it though is "if the officer can see you perfectly while the sun is still out and your windows are up, you're good to go"
-NO ADDITIONAL LIGHTING FROM STOCK!(LED washer nozzles, LED license plates, neons,etc...)
-when looking for intakes, injen is probably the best to go with because its CARB exempt. Anything thats CARB exempt is legal on our cars including hi-flow cats, but good luck finding CARB exempt mods besides the intake provided from injen
-Turbo'ing a vehicle that was N/A from the manufacturer is illegal, PERIOD.
-If you can hear your music from 50feet away with all of the windows down, is disturbing the peace
-stickers on the winshield/back window must be smaller than 5".
-Radar jammers are illegal, but radar scanners are not
-Swapping in an engine thats from a newer year car is legal, but you will need a referee to "OK" the swap
-Being teen/mexican/black/asian will get you harrassed by cops end of story

the things i've said wont stop a cop from pulling you over and issuing a ticket(fix-it or not) but it will help out in battling it.

Welcome to the world of why people end up hating cops

-Window tint is illegal in the front regardless of %, the rear is as dark as you want it to be. My general rule of thumb for it though is "if the officer can see you perfectly while the sun is still out and your windows are up, you're good to go"

Thanks krimsonviper. But I think you might be wrong about the tint issue. I looked it up online and found the following link. They say the windshield can have the top four inches tinted and that the front side windows can be tinted up to "letting 70% of light through". (Of course perhaps they are wrong too...)

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

Also I found this nice link that discuss mods, and even mentions Mazda and the RX-7. This may be of interest to people.

http://www.racingbeat.com/emissions.htm

I didn't realize that California was more strict than other places, somehow. I should have figured though. Seriously, people in this state... (dark)

And I think you're right about the teenager bias. I remember getting my share of speeding tickets for like ten over.

Last edited:
oh good old california.

the tint shop will make you sign a disclaimer saying you know it is illegal to have a tint on your front windows. they will tint it anyway in most cases.

when i searching for a tint shop in my area, this one local one wouldnt even touch my front windows, yet they wanted 220 for the rear windows...

I live in california and i know how it is. It isnt so much the "driving while asian" its the "driving while being a teenager/looking like a teenager". You can thank the people who that derives from. My understanding of the for mods is

-If the middle of the headlight is lower than 12 inches from the ground, its illegal
-Excessive exhuast notes (I dont know if the 93dB thing is true, but i've been hearing that people get in trouble for it regardless)
-If you have air suspension/hydrolics, dont mess with it while the car is in drive/moving
-NO ADDITIONAL LIGHTING FROM STOCK!(LED washer nozzles, LED license plates, neons,etc...)
-when looking for intakes, injen is probably the best to go with because its CARB exempt. Anything thats CARB exempt is legal on our cars including hi-flow cats, but good luck finding CARB exempt mods besides the intake provided from injen
-Turbo'ing a vehicle that was N/A from the manufacturer is illegal, PERIOD.
-If you can hear your music from 50feet away with all of the windows down, is disturbing the peace
-stickers on the winshield/back window must be smaller than 5".
-Radar jammers are illegal, but radar scanners are not
-Swapping in an engine thats from a newer year car is legal, but you will need a referee to "OK" the swap
-Being teen/mexican/black/asian will get you harrassed by cops end of story

the things i've said wont stop a cop from pulling you over and issuing a ticket(fix-it or not) but it will help out in battling it.

Welcome to the world of why people end up hating cops

First of all, there is No regulation on stickers for the back of the car.. Having a back window is not required by CA law, so that sticker height goes out the window.

another thing that needs to be said is, NO police officer can inspect your engine and write you for illegal mods unless they are a certified DOT inspector. The only ones who really are, is the CHP with the blue jumpsuits. None of those cops out there can tell what the hell is going on with someones engines. About 6 months ago, my neighbor got pulled over by a orange county sheriff who tried to get him a ticket for a BOV. I pulled in behind him and told that officer what she is doing is illegal. She had no probable cause for one and secondly, wasnt an ASE/DOT inspector. I also explained to her that turbo cars require these to run correctly, regardless if she likes the sound of it or not. I requested her sergeant to come over but she said forget it and bailed. Which again proves by point, have some balls and stand up for you and your car. He had an EVO9 MR btw.

Last edited:
another thing that needs to be said is, NO police officer can inspect your engine and write you for illegal mods unless they are a certified DOT inspector. The only ones who really are, is the CHP with the blue jumpsuits. None of those cops out there can tell what the hell is going on with someones engines.

That being said, a cop can still hold you until he acquires someone who can legally inspect your car w/a warrant of course.

And they have time constraints on this... and they wont find anyone.

Anyone see a CARB EO on the MSCAI?

Damn, and I've always dreamed of living in Cali...
I guess it wouldn't be a good choice for me since I can't seem to leave a vehicle in its stock form... (lol2) (ricer)

I've always thought of Cali as being the mecca of the automotive world; as having the latest trends in automotive style, mods, research and development; having the most exotic vehicles, etc...
In addition to the best roads with amazing scenery...

If the local government is this strict on cars, what will happen to the automotive culture in Cali? Will Cali loose its automotive trend setter...?

Every time I picked up a car magazine and drooled over the featured ride, the car originated in Cali...also, Cali is the port for Japanese exotics and JDM... I would imagine that someone in the political world would realize this and think of the impact that would have over the state...

Am I taking this too far and over analyzing it? (huh)

Last edited:
Just a little. Since Cali, is and might still be, the centerpiece for the auto-customization world, street racing has become a big thing and as a result police crackdown and harass. And our roads arent really that great. in fact, my uncle is a trucker, and he says that he knows he's in california by the conditions of the roads. hell, just down my block theres a bump that will cause you to hit your head on the ceiling of your car if you go like 25mph. I think us californians will always mod our cars and take what the gov't gives us(tickets) and keep running with it. I know it wont really stop me when i get my project car and it didnt stop my brother from ricing out his galant. just be smart when you're driving, always being aware of the po-po's and their kick it spot, and shifting at like 2500 when driving by them

oh and alot of the ideas that i have for my car are like originating from like kansas and florida. more like the middle country to the east style is appealing to me, california has more rice than anything, hence my pure hatred for honda/acura

Yeah it is pretty bad hear...but thats why I'm keeping my CBE stock. krimsonviper is right! you have to look out for those bastards...Alot of times I have been able to, go up to, 140-145 at least a good couple of times without getting caught. Another thing that sucks is out here in LA we lost one of our race tracks...they tore it down for ROCKs!?!?! yeah you heard me ROCKS(protest)

Latest posts

Back