Buying a P5...your $.02 on reliability and ownership

Hank3

Asian Persuasion <><
Contributor
:
2010 Mazda5 GT
I found an '02 MT P5 w/76K miles for $5700. It's silver and in really good shape inside and out. Current owner put 8K miles in the past year and the original owner was family of a dealer (not sure if it was a Mazda dealer or not). No maintenance records from the original owner, but the current owner has changed the oil twice and replaced the rear caliper and pads.

I currently own an MS3, but looking to sell and get a cheaper DD. How has the P5s held up for you guys? One of the reasons I'm thinking P5 is because my wife has an '02 Protege and I've been maintaining it for the past three years. And I helped my friend who had an MP3 maintain his for a few years. I like that I'm familiar with the maintenance intervals and that it's been relatively cheap and uncomplicated.

Just wondering if the P5 is that much different? Any oddities/quirks I should know about? Does it drive way different from the Protege and MP3? I don't need a lot of HP since I just need it to get to work and back (and for kids in the future). Anything you guys can think of, LMK...I'd certainly appreciate it.

TIA :)

Last edited:
Hey Hank,
I have had more problems with my P5 than I did when I had my '90 Accord so that kind of sucks. Problems including burning headlights every 6 mos., having to add engine oil in between changes, and terrible console visibility due to dim lights. I think my other problems are specific to my P5 because my previous owner sucked.
That being said, I love driving the P5 over my '90 Accord because it's considerably peppier. I've never driven either of your previous vehicles so I can't compare to that.
It also sounds like people often have problems with wheel bearings, drive belt bearings, wheel well rust, interior rattling noises, ignition coils/wires, PCV and EGR.

Thanks for the feedback, local. I have to be honest and say I'm a little taken back by your experience with it. My wife's Protege hasn't had those issues (she's at 107K miles - albeit a AT), and my friends MP3 never had those issues either. Was the P5 built that differently or I wonder if yours is in the minority.

I think the average P5 has a lot more to give after 75000 miles and that price is pretty low. Not sure if its market low but for $5700 its hard to go wrong with a DD in good shape.

If you have not spent much time in a P5 just remember its slow, very slow compared to a MS3
That said I really loves mine when I had it.
I only had it for about 10,000 miles so longevity wise I cant speak to it.
The odd this is that the MP3 that was aftermarket turbo charged hit 50,000 miles no problem but my wife's ES sedan blew and engine at that mileage. I wouldn't worry about that too much honestly as no one else had an issue like that that I have ever heard of and my wife has killed every car she has ever had....which is why my Xterra is at the body shop because she thought it would look good as a Service trucks hood emblem.

It is near identical to the MP3 of your buddies engine and mechanics wise so no issue there.

Last edited:
The only problems that are common with P5's are torn motor mounts that I know of. Of course, with older cars, you'll have the typical problems and maintenance. But nothing you can't handle or wouldn't already be used to doing with your wife's Protege and your friends MP3.

I bought my P5 2-1/2 years ago with 85k miles and I bought it from a Mazda dealership used for $9,500 (which is a little high). She now has 122k miles on her and she still runs great and strong. I've done a lot of modding and don't auto-x or track it, yet. I think a lot of it is simply taking care of your car and motor. It seems like a lot of blown FS-DE motors are due to abuse and poorly taken care of.

The only things I've replaced were the back brake calipers because the adjustment allen bolt for the piston was seized and wouldn't adjust. But calipers were $150 a piece. I've cleaned my EGR valve twice, but never really had any idle issues anyway. I can't really think of anything I've had to replace due to break downs or anything. I've used my car on tour with my band and put a lot of highway miles on it, as well as spirited driving. And she still runs great. I think if the car you're interested in runs well, she'll continue to do so for a long time as long as you take care of it.

I have had very few issues with my P5, the main one was replacing the O2 sensor that I damaged with seafoam. It is a great DD and gets good mileage, If it had about 200 hp N/A and a 6 speed it would be the perfect car.

Great info. That's what I'm seeking.

I know as far as niceties and HP goes, it'll lack big time, but in the two years I've had the MS3, all I've been worried about is gas mileage so I don't even drive it hard. Been grannying it for basically two years - I'm so ashamed LOL. Priorities and prefereces have changed in those two years. I should've just purchased a different vehicle from the getgo. Not that I regret the purchase...the MS3 has been a wonderful car and I've enjoyed how much you get for the price you pay. But right now, I can get into a cheaper car and still be fine since we can save extra $$$ for kids in the future.

Still not 100% sure as I've been toying around with the idea for a couple months now. I've looked at Miatas, MSPs, Focus SVT, Mini Coopers, but this weekend me and my wife thought about the P5. It makes a lot of sense in ways. We'll see. Any other feedback, keep posting. I'm really intersted in reading ownership stories.

Hey Hank,
I have had more problems with my P5 than I did when I had my '90 Accord so that kind of sucks. Problems including burning headlights every 6 mos., having to add engine oil in between changes, and terrible console visibility due to dim lights. I think my other problems are specific to my P5 because my previous owner sucked.
That being said, I love driving the P5 over my '90 Accord because it's considerably peppier. I've never driven either of your previous vehicles so I can't compare to that.
It also sounds like people often have problems with wheel bearings, drive belt bearings, wheel well rust, interior rattling noises, ignition coils/wires, PCV and EGR.

my 91 accord gave me a ton more problems than the p5 has (then again i had a swapped h22 lulz). the major problems ive had was the 3rd gear syncro going out and the damn a/c switch. i have a slight oil leak due to a bad cam seal but other than the car has been pretty solid *knocks on wood*. i am completely stock if that matters. i dont have rattle noises or anything of that sort. my headlight bulbs never died (my HIDs give more problems than the stockers did lol).

I know about the AC switch. My friend's MP3 had it and we still deal with it on my wife's Protege. I just flip it to 3 and then back to 2 and that seems to work every time :)

get that b**** rust proofed, check the endlinks, EGR and j pipe. Dim dash lights, thats no big thing takes about 20 minutes or less to change the lights in there swap em for LED.

Rust proofed? Didn't think that was essential in N. FL.

naw we dont need it. the only rust spots i have n the car are where assholes rammed their door into my car and chipped the paint. i swear people need to learn how to open doors slightly and respect other people's property

naw we dont need it. the only rust spots i have n the car are where assholes rammed their door into my car and chipped the paint. i swear people need to learn how to open doors slightly and respect other people's property

Preach it!

Been reading up on the P5 some more. Were there any other changes to the P5 in the two years it was made available ('02 & '03)?

Changes I've read about:
  1. '03 had 5AT instead of 4AT and the shifter looked different
  2. MT had different shift knobs between the two years ('03 was a like a round ball from what I can tell)
  3. '03 had Laser Blue Mica?

I've had my '03 MT P5 for about 15 months now. Bought it for $7K at 85K miles. Loved it the day I bought it and still love it today. It's just such a fun car with a timeless design. The car leaves little to complain about.

Over the last few months the check engine light came on in response to an odd problem. Me nor the dealer could figure it out. In the end I bumped up to quality 89 octane and that solved the problem. Not a big deal. And of course it's a terribly slow car...until you hit some corners.

I'm an active college student and find this car to meet almost all my needs. I see other students driving around in their WRXs struggling to make payments when I'm likely having just as much fun for a lot less leaving me more in my pocket for after college.

I think with your background in Mazda ownership, a well maintained P5 could be an easy, reliable car to own for less than some of the other cars your looking at.

Been reading up on the P5 some more. Were there any other changes to the P5 in the two years it was made available ('02 & '03)?

Changes I've read about:
  1. '03 had 5AT instead of 4AT and the shifter looked different
  2. MT had different shift knobs between the two years ('03 was a like a round ball from what I can tell)
  3. '03 had Laser Blue Mica?

02 was a regular AT 03 was the shiftronic or whatever mazda calls it
rims are slightly different
02 flip top cup holders (too shallow)
03.5 (I think) had the spare tire sub as an option

options:
ABS
alarm
leather
side curtain air bags (only on the leather)

I can't think of anything else right now.

We bought a P5 in Jan for my fiance so far she loves it. I don't think that there are any P5 specific issues.

reliability all depends....i've had mine since it had 500 miles in 03....it's an 02 manual.

i've replace:
suspension(lowered it, but did have a blown shock) ~80k
the bat many times(have stereo system too)
it is THE headlight bulb eater
motor mounts(all ripped, went after market)
have cleaned the egr twice, runs really rich

other than that....i still get above 30 mpg cruising at 80mph and ac on high.....not to mention it still runs like new....still on orig clutch and everything else

What trim is your wife's sedan? The P5 is literally an '02-'03 ES wagon so if that's what she has then you'll be dealing with essentially the same car.

There's a lot of bad information in this thread...

What trim is your wife's sedan? The P5 is literally an '02-'03 ES wagon so if that's what she has then you'll be dealing with essentially the same car.

There's a lot of bad information in this thread...

define bad??

Dude to be honest i have had nothing but trouble out of my p5.
but i couldn't be happier about owning it cause it has grown on me and now i cant go a day with out taking it out for a drive.
It is your decision in the end but i say go for it.

Back