Buying a P5...your $.02 on reliability and ownership

define bad??
I exaggerated a little but most of the complaints in this thread I don't see as being issues with the car...

Biggest issues (of which the OP should already be aware):
Dirty EGR Valve
Flickering A/C
VICS Screw Recall
Oil Consumption (higher mileage only)

'02 means it came stock with the roof rack, manual transmission was pre-revision, no markers on front fenders, round rubber shift knob, flip-cover cupholders and chrome 16" wheels in addition to ES trim options.

Options include ABS w/ side airbags, sunroof and leather seats (I think - those may have been later)...

I have used 2002/P5/
I got it 2 years back with 112K miles.
Now, I have hardly 120K miles with no major issues except maintenance like brake pads, busted rear shocks...

I exaggerated a little but most of the complaints in this thread I don't see as being issues with the car...

Dirty EGR Valve
Flickering A/C
VICS Screw Recall

'02 means it came stock with the roof rack, manual transmission was pre-revision, no markers on front fenders, round rubber shift knob, flip-cover cupholders and chrome 16" wheels in addition to ES trim options.

Options include ABS w/ side airbags, sunroof and leather seats (I think - those may have been later)...
i have an 02 with markers on the fenders and normal alloy wheels (not chrome)

02 flip top cup holders (too shallow)

So are the '03 cupholders better? What do you mean shallow? Do cups not fit in all the way? I was thinking that the flip cover of the '02s might be nicer, but I guess it's an extra step to stick a cup in there - hehe whoa lazy. Are the center consoles swappable between the '02 and '03?

What trim is your wife's sedan? The P5 is literally an '02-'03 ES wagon so if that's what she has then you'll be dealing with essentially the same car.

My wife's Protege is the LX 2.0 liter.

Dirty EGR Valve
Flickering A/C
VICS Screw Recall

Is the EGR easy to clean? Or do you just replace it when needed? Difficulty?

i have an 02 with markers on the fenders and normal alloy wheels (not chrome)
Then you have a '02.5, not an '02. Mazda had mid-year refreshes both 2002 and 2003.
So are the '03 cupholders better? What do you mean shallow? Do cups not fit in all the way? I was thinking that the flip cover of the '02s might be nicer, but I guess it's an extra step to stick a cup in there - hehe whoa lazy. Are the center consoles swappable between the '02 and '03?

My wife's Protege is the LX 2.0 liter.

Is the EGR easy to clean? Or do you just replace it when needed? Difficulty?
Personally I liked how the flip-covers looked better, but yeah the open ones were deeper and less likely to throw your drink out (I rarely ate/drank anything in my car).

Depending on the options on your wife's LX the two could still be almost identical. For sure, drivetrain-wise they are identical ('02+ Proteges all had the 2.0L). Brakes will be different if your wife's are four-lug w/ rear drums (not sure if that was still available in '02+). That's pretty much it aside from the trivial differences (appearance, options, etc.).

The EGR is easy to clean (carb cleaner, degreaser, etc.), but kind of a pain to get to (two 10mm bolts underneath the intake manifold). I really think some members exaggerate the need to clean them. I know Mazda has revised the EGR valve several times, but I only cleaned mine once in the five years I owned the car and didn't have any issues.

Get it! It does eat bulbs but you can solve that by getting an HID kit. I have an '02 that I bought in '05 with 57,000 miles on it. I now have 153,800 miles and it has been very reliable. Just tend to your regularly scheduled maintenence and it will last you a long time.

Yeah, I kinda like the flip-up cup holders more. But that's very minor stuff obviously. Thanks for the info on the EGR. Wife has a four-lug drum brake config. I guess reliability and safety ratings are the same between the years then. That's my biggest concern.

So there are two P5s now that could be potentials. The '02 one I mentioned, and an '03 with 68K miles for $6K (one owner).

Get it! It does eat bulbs but you can solve that by getting an HID kit. I have an '02 that I bought in '05 with 57,000 miles on it. I now have 153,800 miles and it has been very reliable. Just tend to your regularly scheduled maintenence and it will last you a long time.

If I do get the P5, I would allot for money for the HID retrofits that Matt V is running :)

Last edited:
I rate it very reliable. 200K miles - no major issues (except as stated above).
I am the only owner and she is carefully maintained. Borderline Psychotic. Okay, past the border...

Runs great. Handles even better.

The 'lightbulb issue'. When i went to Sylvania Silver Stars (better/much brighter) I did go through a bulb every six months. Set your calendar by it. Once i went to the 'Syl Ultra' (less bright/still better) i have not changed one since. Stock bulbs still last longest. Not a car design issue - it is a Sylvania issue.

Go for it! No regrets.

+1 It does eat bulb

I've put 20k+ on my 02.5 P5 in the past year and it has been a great car. Replaced shocks and other than that regular maintenance. Flip top cup holders are nice, it keeps the lines of the center console. Especially if you paint it something besides that gross gray or whatever it is. They don't fit the giant buckets of soda most places give you these days, but do you really need that much?

I rate it very reliable. 200K miles - no major issues (except as stated above).
I am the only owner and she is carefully maintained. Borderline Psychotic. Okay, past the border...

Runs great. Handles even better.

The 'lightbulb issue'. When i went to Sylvania Silver Stars (better/much brighter) I did go through a bulb every six months. Set your calendar by it. Once i went to the 'Syl Ultra' (less bright/still better) i have not changed one since. Stock bulbs still last longest. Not a car design issue - it is a Sylvania issue.

Go for it! No regrets.
+1 to not using Silverstars. I think in the five years I owned the car I changed three headlight bulbs...

Yeah, I kinda like the flip-up cup holders more. But that's very minor stuff obviously. Thanks for the info on the EGR. Wife has a four-lug drum brake config. I guess reliability and safety ratings are the same between the years then. That's my biggest concern.

So there are two P5s now that could be potentials. The '02 one I mentioned, and an '03 with 68K miles for $6K (one owner).

If I do get the P5, I would allot for money for the HID retrofits that Matt V is running :)

Yeah you can't go wrong with those!

Then you have a '02.5, not an '02. Mazda had mid-year refreshes both 2002 and 2003.

Personally I liked how the flip-covers looked better, but yeah the open ones were deeper and less likely to throw your drink out (I rarely ate/drank anything in my car).

thats pretty damn retarded lol (not what you said but what they did mid year).

but yea, the shallow cupholders are a pain especially with the 5spd. i usually just stuff the drink in the arm rest and use the cupholder for keys or big spare change (quaters and nickels)

Last edited:
not gonna lie, i had a choice between an 06 3 sedan or the 03 p5 that i have now and what got me to get the p5 over the 3 was the hatch... i too needed something for family and i think the extra .3L in the 3 woulda really hurt fuel economy since the fianc is just learning manual and i have a lead foot (now more since i have my sts and intake installed)

+1 to not using Silverstars. I think in the five years I owned the car I changed three headlight bulbs...

if you have the money for em, the best bulbs ive ever owned were Hella bulbs. had them in my Pontiac (car before this) the day that i bought it and they showed no sign of fade/dimming the 3.5 yrs i had the car

Back