BUYER'S GUIDE: SRT-4 VS MSP.

150 whp 223 whp in the SCC test....

wheel horsepower

they commented on the srt having 8 more horses at the wheels than chrysler claimed at the crank.......msp is 170 at crank 150 at wheels

slug420 said:
My friend bought a 2000 2.5rs and threw on a intake and an exhaust. He then had some problems with it and took it to a suby dealership, the suby dealership popped th ehood saw the intake and said, thats your problem. Wouldnt even touch it, just said you got that thing, you voided your warranty.

first off i'd make them eat that ****** intake if somebody told me my warrenty was void for helping my car breath better.

second, fuel cut can brake things depending on what car were talking about. if i or anybody else hits fuel cut in their RX-7's or whatever rotorty powered vehicle the fuel is shut off to the rear rotor causing detonation. not good in other words.

but only reason fuel cuts in rx7's is from running too much boost. and not enough injectors... im so confused!!!!!
srt-4 or msp!!!!! omg!!
i have to test drive both and the msp wont be here for a while t test drive...

i love the msp, and never considered the less expensive, more powerful srt-4 for a second. But you sound like power is what you're after so the srt-4 might be the best choice for you.

this is how it looks right now..

msp= good platform, looks 10x better than srt-4, handles better..

srt-4 = less expensive, MUCH faster, uglier..
what do i do? looks or speed.

srt- with the money you save you could buy some bolt on goodies and a body kit or something since you don't love the way it looks

With the SRT4, Don't spend all your money on body kits because at some point you may need it for repairs, or at least gas from going back and forth to the dealer so often. :)

MSP vs SRT-4

Personally I am kind of having a little doubts on which car I should have gotten.. I love my MSP even though my friend wrecked it and its sitting in my garage =[ but I whenever I see how fast that dam SRT is it makes me think. And with a stage III mopar kit without voiding the warentee that thing can have 300hp and be capable of easly running 13's all the time! Our car runs 15 but we have style, and handling. The SRT handles great but not as well as our, and I hate how it looks =[ do you think the MSP could ever compete with SRT's on the track? I am sure they can in auto x but in a straight line I think the SRT will just blow our MSP's away ;[ thats why I have second thoughts.. help me through! LOL!!

Yeah but its a Neon. How will the tranny holdup thats what i thought. Also is it laggy. Its a 16g right. It will never handle as good as our cars and its open diff yeah thats right so there thats almost 3 to 4 grand to spend to get it up to par with our cars

Maybe I'm qualified to answer the question about the SRT, as I have owned 2 ACR Neons.... Both of which blew motors that were box-stock and dealer maintained.

Don't buy the neon!

They can say what they want about an SRT being new and different but it is still the same dealer network, same company and the same platform.

Heck, our MazdaSpeed dealer actually let's our local SCCA region have AutoX's in their back lot...

Mazda gets it. DaimlerChrylser (Dodge) doesn't.

On the tranny front, the SRT is getting an all new 5 speed. That could be good or bad, depending on whether there are any initial quality problems with the new equipment....

I have a 01 R/T which is the same chassis as the SRT4.(2nd gen) I have no complaints with this car as it is very reliable and capable on the autoX course. The SRT4 has many other upgrades in suspension and drivetrain and will hold over 300hp and 300ftlbs. The open diff is a weak link but not as much as you would think, and the turbo very responsive, at least that is what GRM has reported. I would absolutely guarantee that with a little -camber and some Eibach springs the SRT4 will come VERY close or be @ par with the MSP handling. If you do som reasearch you will see this is true. The SRT4 does not have a sunroof, does not have a fancy stereo, does not have Sparco accents. It has a monster motor, 2nd to none seats, capable chassis and handling and if it lives up to the quality of the 2nd gen Neons it will be fine reliability wise. True, it may suffer from a few 1st year glitches but the car has been tested like crazy and it's SCCA rally version has been rock solid and performed well. As many may think, I am not on here to hack or insult other cars, I have very open mind and have a good understanding of the different cars in this segment. I want a SRT4, but a Spec V or MSP may be in the future instead. The Spec V could be had for 23k canadian and if I was lucky the SRT4 or MSP could be around 26k. I just can't decide if I want the creature comforts....
Check out neons.org and these pics http://home.tampabay.rr.com/blackcat/My_SRT.htm

Last edited:
who cares about straight line.

who even cares about auto x.

youre going to be driving the car more often just as a daily driver so...

Back