Breaking Windshields

:
2013 CX5 Touring
I think my '13 is breaking windshields. It started last week I was driving to work and I heard the notorious rock on windshield crack sound. I thought WTH there are no cars around me, the closest was about 1/4 mile ahead of me. I looked around for a chip and saw nothing. Overnight a huge crack appeared, it went from the black area on the bottom all the way to the middle of the windshield. Thought well that sucks and got it replaced with OEM glass. I noticed that there was a very small spider web that I did not notice the day before but not real impact mark. So it was replaced Friday and today I got in my car after work and bam, crack right in the middle from the bottom up about 12". No impact mark at all. So I am driving home and I hear the same rock impact window sound and noticed the crack was bigger. Call Safe Lite and they are coming out tomorrow. I hope I won't have to be out another $250 for another windshield. Has anyone seen this before?

I have honestly never heard of such a thing.
The glass tech would likely have noticed if there was a manufacturing defect on Mazda's end, or would have noted if the new glass was stressed or in a bind.

I'll bet you won't have an issue getting them to repair the glass again, free of charge, and just chaulk this up as an extreme coincidence. If it happens again......set the car on fire, it is posessed.

^ This. Plus the chassis is nothing like a flimsy Murano convertible, so there should be no flexing to cause such glass breaking.

However, I do notice that I hear objects hitting the windshield more often than I did in my past cars (MPV and Infiniti QX). That is with me driving AT LEAST 4 cars behind someone at all times.

I really hope this is a random issue. Mostly I am hoping not to have to pay for another windshield. I have to pay my deductible with Geico ($250). I think I might be shopping for a new insurer after this.

I've got a zero deductable replacement windshield coverage through State Farm. I'm sure other insurance companies have it. Just have to ask for it. I considered removing it from my policy but I think I may just keep it. Just in case.

Well Safe Lite said it was a stress crack and they are ordering me another new Mazda windshield. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm. The installer said that he has seen this before, not on this model, but eventually the dealer had to be involved to get the vehicle fixed. I am really hoping it was a defect in the windshield and not the CX 5.

there were some Honda Elements that had a little bump in the metal edge around their windshield and it would cause a pressure point and crack the windshields. Might be worth asking the installer if he sees anything that isn't smooth around the inside edge where the windshield mounts.

there were some Honda Elements that had a little bump in the metal edge around their windshield and it would cause a pressure point and crack the windshields. Might be worth asking the installer if he sees anything that isn't smooth around the inside edge where the windshield mounts.

Good advice.

Will do. I was not around for the first installation. I am going to make sure I am around for this one.

Well second windshield is in. It was installed this morning. I have let it sit all day to let the adhesive properly bond. They told me to wait 1 hour. But last time we waited 1 1/2 hours. No way to tell if that will help or not, but it couldn't hurt. Fingers crossed.

*edit* I did look at this windshield over very close before the install. The sheets of glass look thinner than other windshields I have seen. Maybe Mazda used thinner glass to save weight? The sheets looked to be barely thicker than 1/16" each.

Last edited:
I really hope this is a random issue. Mostly I am hoping not to have to pay for another windshield. I have to pay my deductible with Geico ($250). I think I might be shopping for a new insurer after this.

Change your coverage to "full glass", no deductible.

Well second windshield is in. It was installed this morning. I have let it sit all day to let the adhesive properly bond. They told me to wait 1 hour. But last time we waited 1 1/2 hours. No way to tell if that will help or not, but it couldn't hurt. Fingers crossed.

*edit* I did look at this windshield over very close before the install. The sheets of glass look thinner than other windshields I have seen. Maybe Mazda used thinner glass to save weight? The sheets looked to be barely thicker than 1/16" each.

I once read that the bonded in glass was an integral part of the body strength, so I'm a little shocked at how thin you say it is, it also needs to give some protection from flying stones etc.

There was one report in the Whatcar mag, were a owner was off the road for some weeks while Mazda sourced a spare shield, none in the UK at that time.

I once read that the bonded in glass was an integral part of the body strength, so I'm a little shocked at how thin you say it is, it also needs to give some protection from flying stones etc.

There was one report in the Whatcar mag, were a owner was off the road for some weeks while Mazda sourced a spare shield, none in the UK at that time.

I am pretty sure the windshield has no part in body strength. The only thing that attaches the windshield to the body is adhesive. So if it is part of the body strength that is some awesome glue.

Safe Lite received the first windshield within 24hours of me making a claim. The second windshield took them 8 days to receive. Slow but thankfully not weeks slow. The crack spread very fast also. Everyday it would grow at least an inch or two. I think the temperature changes during the day was causing the crack to spread. I would notice it grow in the morning when I came out and after it had sat in the sun all day after work. Night temperatures have been in the high 30's and daytime highs in the upper 50's with a few days in the 60's.

It took 4 days for the first windshield to crack again. This one is on day 2 so far so good.

Last edited:
Today's adhesive is pretty good.

In the UK Elddis caravans are held together with glue, while F1 cars and many car panels are also bonded.
Its a shame you didn't get to ask a shield fitter.

I'm the one who cracked the first windshield at the three week mark, though we did find the initial impact point, which was really just a pinhead, but overnight..a 14" long crack opened. The rock hit on the ay HOME from having a new Mazda windshield installed...that one was repaired and so far so good. AMICA insurance, in SC and with comprehensive anyway, covers all glass, replacement or repair, with no deductible, and it is not counted as a "claim" that will affect your premiums.

Back