break in period

mader

:
2004 mazda3 GX
hey all... got my new 3 a little while ago..
I've been reading alot about break in periods (this is my first new car)...
The problem (maybe) is that my new car was driven by the dealer 230 miles from another dealership to the one close to me..so the breand new car went about 400km on a brand new engine. No stops....straight diving. I have heard this is bad for a new car....Any thoughts on this....Does this mean my car won;t function as well as if wasn't highway driven right off the bat..
I'll kill mazda if it is detrimental!!!!

thanks

Mader

I'm kind of worried about the break-in period too. i have about 500 miles on mine so far, but when i asked the dealer about breaking it in, all he said was not to use cruise control for about a 1000 miles to keep the engine from hovering around the same RPM. I don't think i've riden it that hard, but with all the problems I've been hearing, i'm kind of nervous.

Just take it easy for the first 600 miles or 1000kms. I used the cruise control the day I bought it. Just don't hold it at the same speed for long distances. Internal combustion engines are tough, so don't worry. Also take it easy on the brakes for the same miles.

I have almost 940 miles on mine and have taken it to the redline many times (after 600 miles). I also hit the rev limiter once.
Getting ready for my first oil/filter change this week. I always do that with my new cars, first change around 1000 miles.

As far as babying the engine goes, there's a new thought process behind that :

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Read this stuff, then decide for yourself. I'm running my engine somewhat hard for the first 500-600 miles, getting the revs up there but not entirely to redline, and not keeping it on one speed either. If I destroy anything, that's what a warrenty is for, right? ;)

mader said:
hey all... got my new 3 a little while ago..
I've been reading alot about break in periods (this is my first new car)...
The problem (maybe) is that my new car was driven by the dealer 230 miles from another dealership to the one close to me..so the breand new car went about 400km on a brand new engine. No stops....straight diving. I have heard this is bad for a new car....Any thoughts on this....Does this mean my car won;t function as well as if wasn't highway driven right off the bat..
I'll kill mazda if it is detrimental!!!!

thanks

Mader
the guy who drove ur car, probably redlined like crazy... cause i know ppl that used work for Honda that just drives car from dealership to dealership.

Hope it wasnt the case for u

I also used cruise control the first day I got my car, I wanted to make sure it worked... you have to test all the gadgets, so why not in the beginning.

break in periods, this is what i think of them, if you are buying a car with like 15+ miles already on it, how do you think the fucker was driven before you bought it, i can guarentee you it was relined and driven hard, so what's the point! drive it like you stole that s***.

some break in periods i agree with, like if you did an engine swap or something to that effect, or just rebuilt the entire engine, etc...

Driving it like you stole it from the beginning makes no sense even if the person who drove the car before you drove it hard. That is unless you're gonna sell it not too long down the road. Just because someone took abuses your car, it doesn't make sense to abuse it more.

dannyboy said:
I'm kind of worried about the break-in period too. i have about 500 miles on mine so far, but when i asked the dealer about breaking it in, all he said was not to use cruise control for about a 1000 miles to keep the engine from hovering around the same RPM. I don't think i've riden it that hard, but with all the problems I've been hearing, i'm kind of nervous.
me 2, i have only 3 hundred miles on mine, but when i got my mazda 3 it had 6 miles on it. so i dont think whoever drove mine drove it far.

When I got my last car it had 2 miles on it ...
Took it red line on the first on-ramp out of the dealership ... oh ... half a mile down the road. Drove it hard, drove it well and it was none the worse for the wear. No cruise, but I did give it a little gas everynow and then through the city during break in - no problems at all.

All depends on who you want to listen to, it seems.

I heard actually some car companies actually want you to redline the car while breaking it in a few times so the seals don't get used to only spinning at low rpms.

Back