Brakes shot at 23,000 miles, PICTURES

;-) Thanks for the Centrics tip.

I really like dsc888's experienced advice re learning to drive smoothly due to seasick kids in the back. No Zoom Zoom for him!

No problem, man! But I spoke too soon! Kids being kids....let's just say my 3 year old should not have mixed milk with pasta with cake and JUMPING around while I loaded my 1 year old into the car. All of it made an unwelcomed reappearance right after I pulled into the driveway. No Zoom Zooming on the way back from Cheesecake Factory.

I was out cleaning the care for almost 2 hours trying to get the mess out of every nook. He was in the 3rd role and I had a Prince Lionheart seat protector and the caught most of it. The car is fine now with a little helping of Febreeze.

Sorry for going off topic guys ;-) But I had to share after my little ordeal.

And as for the brakes, they are beginning to show some mild vibration now at 10k. I looked at the rotors and the rears look a bit "grooved". The fronts are smooth. My wife drives the 9 most of the time and she has no aspirations to be Michael Schumacher behind the wheel. I will try to bed them in again with some high speed stops. If it doesn't resolve it then I am heading back to the dealership.

Last edited:
Hey dsc, if you try heating them up and it doesn't work out, the dealer will void the warranty. (there will be obvious heat indications on the rotors, and the dealer will know that you either were towing something heavy or exceeding the limitations of the rotors with some other activity) I think they give you a 12 month / 12k brake warranty, so if you are still within that period, just go to the dealer and don't even bother putting a bunch of wear & tear on the car if it can be taken care of for free. 10k vibration is totally bogus, they need to take care of that.

Hey dsc, if you try heating them up and it doesn't work out, the dealer will void the warranty. (there will be obvious heat indications on the rotors, and the dealer will know that you either were towing something heavy or exceeding the limitations of the rotors with some other activity) I think they give you a 12 month / 12k brake warranty, so if you are still within that period, just go to the dealer and don't even bother putting a bunch of wear & tear on the car if it can be taken care of for free. 10k vibration is totally bogus, they need to take care of that.

Thanks for the advice, helbigtw! Unfortunately, I am already out of the 12 month brake warrantee. But I just hit 10k miles. I've owned the car for about 16 months thus far. I am not sure if the dealer would even extend me the courtesy. I have a feeling they would simply try to machine the rotors which will only make it worse with less material on the rotor to dissipate heat. But rear rotors look like they have somewhat deep grooves where as the fronts look good. Very weird indeed. I guess all the talk about the OEM rotors being crap is true. We only use the car to drive our 2 toddlers and a double stroller at the most. No heavy towing or loading at any point during our ownership.

I replaced my front brakes around 32k or so. Just about 55k on the ticker now, factory rear brakes are still fine. They have some grooves but there is no pulsation in pedal. I would wear that dealer out if it were me until they agreed that 10k miles is outrageous on a new car.

Back