Brake failure - totalled my MS3

First... glad you're ok. you definitely have a guardian angel lookin out for you.

This is just crazy... Mazda needs to do something about this. I think GDorris is blaming himself too much here. Sure, the brake pads were worn... and sure, maybe he should have checked them first. but come on... that doesn't mean they should fail completely? what kind of BS is that? I'm no lawyer but....

Im glad I don't have ABS:) or that fast of a car for that matter lol. I didn't read pages 2-5, but was the e-brake also non-functional? Glad your ok though, thats one messed up MS3:(

Im glad I don't have ABS:) or that fast of a car for that matter lol. I didn't read pages 2-5, but was the e-brake also non-functional? Glad your ok though, thats one messed up MS3:(

He didn't have time to react to pull the e-brake. May actually have made it worse by putting him into a high speed spin.

I believe he contemplated pulling the e-brake but, in a split second, decided (due to the angle of his car and how he'd most likely have a head-on collision) against it.

it's crazy how some people are able to make such important decisions with so little time. think QBs... race car drivers... yoga instructors

Yeah, I mean in a situation like that you make decisions before you even know why you did what you did. I know I somehow steered my car away from my accient being any worse than it already was, it just kinda happened and afterwards I was glad I did what I did.

It is kinda weird that your instinctive reactions can be so helpful.

In my one accident in my MSP, I was coming around a curve and hit a huge patch of loose gravel. The car completely broke free from the road, and if I'd just blindly slammed on the brakes, I would've slammed head-on into the side of the mountain I was driving up doing about 50mph. Instead, I yanked the wheel around, the car did a 180, and I wound up squishing only the last foot or so of my rear quarter panel on a guard rail. I had no idea what I was doing at the time. I just .. did it. It could have been a LOT worse.

Very glad to hear the OP is okay, though. What an awful accident.

No mechanical wear indicator and no electronic pad sensor. You are right - there should be one or the other.

Another piece of the puzzle falls into place - The uneven brake wear I saw was most likely due to the amount of time i was in the ABS while braking hard during 4.5 track days. Every time the ABS pulses, the outer caliper moves slightly. Given how fast ABS pulses, a certain amount of energy being transferred to the outer pad was absorbed by the inertia of that massive piece of metal, and possibly slight flex as well. Use the ABS enough and uneven pad wear will occur. It should not be a problem on the street or on the track if ABS is not engaged on a regular basis.

Then it makes sense that ABS could cause uneven wear with any single piston caliper or pistons all on the same side of the caliper. I've heard Porsche guys talk about the inside pads wearing a lot faster at the track.

My original stock brakes squeal quite a bit now since a single day at the track in late September, but I have not checked them again since the tech inspection before the track day.

Damn!!!(wow) Well atleast you are ok!

But can you save the exhaust??? I'm looking for some exhaust for my hatch. How much shipped to 27107 or 27018? Preferred not cut in two.

Thanks
-Evan

the worst part about this is it would have taken you what 10 minutes to check? and maybe 25 minutes to replace. glad you walked away though.

Wow sorry to hear about your loss glad you were able to walk away from it. you said you would be parting it out and after looking at the pics I cant beleive anything is in parting out condition.

Wow sorry to hear about your loss glad you were able to walk away from it. you said you would be parting it out and after looking at the pics I cant beleive anything is in parting out condition.

Anybody need a gear shifter? (wink)

I will be posting the motor/tranny on eBay soon. As well as some interior parts.

Latest posts

Back