Boost control

moll88

:
08.5 mazdaspeed
I have a question so I recently added on my map clamp so I can boost higher and I am having some trouble. I can only get 15psi out of third and 16 out of 4th if I crank it any higher I can't shift in to 5th or 6 bc I hit 22 psi on just romping on it in while I am in 5th. At wot 5th and 6th hits about 15psi how do I set it up so I can boost 18 allday?

A map clamp is not a boost controler. You should be able to set the clamp to any voltage you want with no effect on boost. I ran a clamp for 2 years, most of the time with a mbc, but i did run it on stock boost control for a while. I could drop the clamp to 2 psi and the boost wouldnt change. I am not calling you a liar.... Those are just not the results i saw.

Hmmm... I never noticed a change like that. Even with my mbc. The clamp must be changing how much/wide your throttle is opening. That would account for the spike. Thats the only explination i can think of. To be honest though, i say let that b**** spike. The car cant hold boost for s*** up top. You may as well let it have its fun while it can. I dont care how much boost you run. If you are on a k04 it wont blow. While i was playing around with my forge WGA at first, i had my car spiking to 28psi. It LOVED IT !! The problem i had is that it cut all the damn time !!

I am not to worried about the spikes I just want to kno how to get it to 18 psi ?

On a stock turbo you wont get to hold 18psi. It just cant do it. You can spike like crazy in the midrange, but 6k you wont see more than 15-16psi tops. Even when my car would hit 28psi, up top it still fell flat. The little k04 just cant move that cfm needed in the high revs.

So I should just crank up till I like it ?

For sure man! The stock turbo cant flow enough volume to hurt this motor if it tried, unless you have a real bad CDFP. There have been crazy guys (including me) to run that little k04 over 27psi and it was fine.... Not very efficient, but fine !

For sure man! The stock turbo cant flow enough volume to hurt this motor if it tried, unless you have a real bad CDFP. There have been crazy guys (including me) to run that little k04 over 27psi and it was fine.... Not very efficient, but fine !

i always thought overboosting a turbo was bad for it? would you damage the turbo? even if the motor can handle the pressure the turbos turbine is only made to spin so fast correct? isnt that why you put on a bigger turbo when you want more volume of air than the turbo can make? the psi is lowered because you have more volume pushing through the turbo on a bigger turbo. a smaller turbo at 20 psi pushes the same as a bigger at 12psi. (made up numbers) but my point being to much psi through a turbo can ruin your turbo.

i wonder what the highest peak psi this turbo can handle is then if 27 is ok.. lol. dayyyum

You are right. Overworking a turbo isnt good for it. Most dynos seem to show that past 20psi the k04 is dead anyways. Short spikes wont hurt anything though.

before i had my dp/tp i was boosting a soild 18-19psi in all gears. i have the atp bcd and hallman mbc. now with the dp/tp i am boosting 19-20 its probably more then i should be but so far i haven't had any problems.

before i had my dp/tp i was boosting a soild 18-19psi in all gears. i have the atp bcd and hallman mbc. now with the dp/tp i am boosting 19-20 its probably more then i should be but so far i haven't had any problems.

Same here!
Really woke the car up. I run 10 psi in town to keep the engine in the engine bay, but can and do crank up the boost from inside the cabin with Hallman's remote boost controller cable when needed. (evil)

Back