BMW 335i M Sport vs. MS6?

snooky

:
Mazdaspeed6 GT
So I had to make a trip to the BMW dealership my buddy works at. My girls muffler tip fell off and she needed a replacement....

while i was there I noticed a black 335i (X-Drive) with an "M" package, looks exactly like the M3 (minus the side gills, scooped hood and of course the v8..)
but it had the rims, skirt... looked SWEET!,
I asked if I could take it for a spin, it being a demo and all, he said no prob, and we were off. I must say the car has amazing power 300 hp soo...
but the thing that surprised me the most was the handling. not sure if by having the M pack changes the suspension, or power but i do know it had the M3 rims and tires which i'm sure are bigger and wider than stock.

my question now is, how much faster in a quarter mile race is the BMW compared to the MS6?

And how do i get my MS6 to grip the road like the BMW? we both have AWD so....

thanks guys!

SnOoKy~

but im sure theres some parts on can add to improve it?

Strut bar, sway bar, trailing brace???? im just speculating if you guys think im going in the wrong direction, or you feel there are more mods that can help please let me know.

The suspension geometry is completely different. Thats the biggest issue. Also the M package IIRC has 245/50s up front and 255s in the rear. Thats alot of rubber.

First off, you really are comparing apples to oranges. The BMW is rear bias, where the MS6 is front bias. It's how they tune the car.

Next, there's the weight distribution. The BMW is almost 50/50, where the MS6 is 58/42 or something close to that. Again, front vs. rear bias.

Suspension setup is totally different, but thats across the board. BMW have refined the 3-series to a level that few can compete with.

Looking at the website, the M Sport is merely an appearance package. There's nothing on it that is performance oriented. You can get wheels similar to those on the M3, but that's about it.

Hate to say it, but you're better off saving for a different car if that's what you're trying to emulate.

I've had three 3-Series BMW's in the last 10 years. They are truly a phenomenal auto platform. That's also because that platform has been in development and evolving for 40 years! In my opinion it is by far the most "Bang for your buck" car in the world.

They are only recently (the last 7-8 years) becoming quite expensive. But they can do that because of the quality of car it is. People know they can buy a used one that is 3-4 years old and still have an incredible car.

As much as I love it, the MS6 is not even the same ballpark as even a 335i or xi. If you want to make your MS6 handle better, that's a good goal to have. Just don't make the mistake of going into it with the goal of making it handle like a BMW. You'll just end up disappointed. Hope this helps!

^^^Couldn't have put it any better than how Blendercloud put it. I traded in a 3-series BMW for my MS6 and have driven a few 335i's before. It's comparing apples to oranges for me. You get bang-for-the-buck with the MS6 but the BMW is in another class. When I get older I'm for sure going to be getting another BMW (probably more than one). My dream garage (attainable, at least) would be an 89 E30 M3, a 99 E36 M3 and a 4 door E90 M3 for my DD.

The M-technic package is just an aero skirt kit. Usually it is fitted to a 328/335 with sport package which includes staggered 18 or 19" wheels, sport suspension, and sport seats.

A stock 335xi 6spd will do zero to 60 in 5.3 secs and is governed at 150 mph.

Snooky, do you have a link for the 335? I can tell you want it is.

The suspension geometry is completely different. Thats the biggest issue. Also the M package IIRC has 245/50s up front and 255s in the rear. Thats alot of rubber.

You must be thinking M3 tire sizes.

According to the e90 sedan, e91 Wagon, e92 Coupe, and e92 convert brochures that I have the sport package is 225/40R18 and 255/35R18 on a xi.

xdrive is for weather and safety, not for performance.

I've tracked a 335xi and it handles very nicely.

AWD with different tire sizes? unlikely.

Umm...yes.

Umm...BMW should change its name to DMW for Douche Motor Works. I think that speaks for itself.....

What do you drive?

Last edited:
thank you guys, for waking me up from my dream, i guess i have too much confidence in the MS6, i feel like it can do anything. probably because im soo used to telling people all of its features and comparing them to other cars in a higher price category. There arent too many AWD, Turbo charged, 274hp sedans on the road that cost the same and looks as good....

but now that we have the whole suspension question out of the way, what about a quarter mile drag? i know the BMW has more HP but it also has more weight.

I figure in my car with my mods it should be a pretty close race, I even feel like I could win. but then again its probably my confidence in the MS6 blurring my judgment
again...

let me know what you think.

the speed can keep up, im sure at a track as well, and definitely with boltons, the only difference is BMW invents things like dynamic performance control, in which their xdrive cars get a more generous amount of torque and all wheel drive activity than other electronically controlled all wheel drive systems. its a passive system that has much more technology behind it. but the xdrive system in the e90 is mated to mainly the DSC and ABS system and is designed to cancel wheel slip alltogether to give a more refined sense of control around turns. its a bimmer, so the handling is already quite perfect. xdrive in the e90 just doesnt cut it when compared to Subaru and Mitsubishi, its just as a hinderance as quattro was pre-2008 (plus the extra weight of it), without a street controller its just as questionable as our haldex system, but i dont beleive they have the same type of LSD that we have, which allows very generous launches and power sliding capabilities.

like steve said, the weight balance is 50/50, but the AWD is near 30/70. so its a completely different way for a car to handle than our 60/40 weight distribution, and 50/50 awd capabilities.

i also beleive the AWD shaves a second off their quarter mile. but their 60ft times still dont break 2.0, i've been looking at dragtimes, and even the bolted ones have trouble making under that.

BMWs are sports cars. then they gave them turbos.
this car is a family sedan, turned into a sports car.

thank you guys, for waking me up from my dream, i guess i have too much confidence in the MS6, i feel like it can do anything. probably because im soo used to telling people all of its features and comparing them to other cars in a higher price category. There arent too many AWD, Turbo charged, 274hp 4cyl sedans on the road that cost the same and looks as good....

but now that we have the whole suspension question out of the way, what about a quarter mile drag? i know the BMW has more HP but it also has more weight.

I figure in my car with my mods it should be a pretty close race, I even feel like I could win. but then again its probably my confidence in the MS6 blurring my judgment
again...

let me know what you think.

there are a few that meet those marks but add the 4 cyl part and the massive down low torque and thats something to be proud of.

BMW 335 vs MZSP6 quick take

Well, I didnt try hard enough to beat the mid life crisis douche bag in his piece trendy BMW.......but he did pass me quickly, and too bad the cops werent sitting in their usual spot in NW Vegas to catch him. I was cruising at 3300 in 4th and just gave it some gas. Hence realizing this street is a speed trap, I slowed down immediately. I know he enjoyed my K04 turbo with vacuum sounding Fujita CAI and turbosmart BOV. Too bad the LEDs in my parking lights didnt blind him. Gotta love Vegas......And its still hot here too!

I hate to say it, but 335>MS6 in almost every aspect.

EDIT: Not that I don't love my MS6 every time I drive it, but they are two different types of cars. Someone put it extremely well in another thread around here....

BMW's are sports cars and then they gave them 2 turbo's (in reference to the 335)
The Mazdaspeed 6 started out as a mid-level family car and then they put a hopped up engine/suspension in/on it.

Last edited:
I'm going to assume you didn't street race, but rather got to posted speeds quickly, no? (drive)

Back