BMS intake

N7turbo

2023 CX-5 2.5T
Was told that it won't fit. They also told me if I wanted to try to make it fit I am welcome to do so and pay a 20% restocking fee if I can't get it to work, plus if I beat it up too much they'll increase the restocking fee or simply reject the return.

Nope. I'm not doing R&D for them on those terms and on my dime. Ridiculous.

Sounds like they're just covering their butts. They likely haven't tested fitment on a CX-5 yet, and aren't willing to say that it'll fit without verifying first hand.

To be fair, compared to the Corksport air intake that I have, the BMS intake doesn't share the same mounting points, and the BMS intake includes the turbo inlet pipe, which also requires some adjustment to the battery tray on the Mazda3 to fit properly. In addition, the BMS intake comes with a heat shield. The piping sits into a notch on the heat shield, and the heat shield is bolted down, holding the piping in place. This tight fit is probably why they aren't comfortable saying it will fit on other platforms. The CS intake on the 3, 6, CX-5, or CX-9 (not sure about CX-30 or CX-50) comes with a brace that mounts to a spot that the original air box mounts to, which has some flex.

Sounds like they're just covering their butts. They likely haven't tested fitment on a CX-5 yet, and aren't willing to say that it'll fit without verifying first hand.
They actually said that they tried, and that it won't fit. That's fine. But the rest of the response was ridiculous and passive aggressive.

It seems like a nice kit, it's just too bad they won't get any sales from owners of other Mazdas.

If you really care about the BMS intake, just take it to a custom shop. I’m sure they’ll be able to modify it to fit your needs. If not, There are plenty of aftermarket solutions if BMS is unwilling and custom shops are to expensive.

Last edited:
If you really care about the BMS intake, just take it to a custom shop. I’m sure they’ll be able to modify it to fit your needs. If not, There are plenty of aftermarket solutions if BMS is unwilling and custom shops are to expensive.
There are other options but do they actually...do anything? I'm really curious to know. There are dyno results for the BMS intake. I haven't seen proof that the others provide any gains.

There are other options but do they actually...do anything? I'm really curious to know. There are dyno results for the BMS intake. I haven't seen proof that the others provide any gains.

On a turbo car intakes don’t really do much, whether warm air or cold air. That’s why you see so many big turbos with pods directly attached to the turbo or just a screen attached to the turbo. I remember seeing a video online where they talked about how Intakes really don’t add much in the way of power. Also, typically when they do these “dyno test,” typically they take the lower factory Dyno number (factory airbox ) and take the higher dyno number once they put the intake on.”

Most would agree that an intake is primarily for the audio from the blow valve, and if anything, the gains are negligible.

Anyone who experienced putting the car on the Dyno…the numbers are rarely consistent with back-to-back pulls as shown on TV car shows.

I’m not not trying to knock BMS in anyway, nor do I work for any intake manufacture.

If you want solid games, better off, invested in BMS plug-in play, then intake, and then run a map that will make use of the increased air that the intake pulling in. The way these card are tuned is via load not how much air is being into the engine. Once the car has reached a given load, the throttle plate will close, so it’s not like you’re getting extra air once it hits the targeted load.

By the way, doing an axle bag exhaust does not gain you any power at all! The sound of the exhaust. Similar to how an intake changes the sound of the motor and allows you to hear the diverter valve/flow valve.

I recommend do a second cat delete or if you can manage a downpipe would probably give you better gains than an intake.

Last edited:
I agree on the exhaust and intake mods, in general. But the difference with the BMS intake is the larger piping going all the way to the turbo. That should relieve any restriction at higher RPMs where this motor tends to fall off.

Corksport has something similar with their turbo inlet pipe but I don't know if anyone has compared the two.

I agree on the exhaust and intake mods, in general. But the difference with the BMS intake is the larger piping going all the way to the turbo. That should relieve any restriction at higher RPMs where this motor tends to fall off.

Corksport has something similar with their turbo inlet pipe but I don't know if anyone has compared the two.

sounds like inlet pipe may help compare to the factory, which is a crush bend plastic.

But in the long run without a tuner, you’re not gonna really see much of a benefit other than some slight throttle response on Tippin. An intake which doesn’t offer much on throttle Tippin, but with the larger diameter should offer a bit better up top power.

I’m still waiting for an upgraded factory, turbo replacement, downpipe and A straight pipe to replace the secondary cat. Aftermarket intercooler, meth injection, I already have the BMS plug-in play and hoping that they’ll have the set up to include that control, as well as a light indicate/low meth container, and switch the map for the lower octane due to running out of meth.

I’m not looking for a big power. 300+ wheel power and close to 400+ pounds of torque.

Last edited:
I don't think you should need methanol to end up in the 400 range for torque but maybe for the HP figure (higher RPM power). These motors can get close to that with just a tune. Of course with a tune you're leaning out the AFR to get to 14:1 which removes the fuel cooling effect so you'll want that upgraded intercooler and maybe an oil cooler as well. You don't want to run these aluminum engines too hot.

A JB4 is in the plans for me mostly because it's plug and play. Removed just as easily as it goes in. Ideally I would like to optimize A/F ratios though for the power and economy improvements but I don't think the JB4 does that.

I’m still waiting for an upgraded factory, turbo replacement, downpipe and A straight pipe to replace the secondary cat. Aftermarket intercooler, meth injection, I already have the BMS plug-in play and hoping that they’ll have the set up to include that control, as well as a light indicate/low meth container, and switch the map for the lower octane due to running out of meth.

I’m not looking for a big power. 300+ wheel power and close to 400+ pounds of torque.

Something that might interest you..

I don't think you should need methanol to end up in the 400 range for torque but maybe for the HP figure (higher RPM power). These motors can get close to that with just a tune. Of course with a tune you're leaning out the AFR to get to 14:1 which removes the fuel cooling effect so you'll want that upgraded intercooler and maybe an oil cooler as well. You don't want to run these aluminum engines too hot.

A JB4 is in the plans for me mostly because it's plug and play. Removed just as easily as it goes in. Ideally I would like to optimize A/F ratios though for the power and economy improvements but I don't think the JB4 does that.

Nice thing about the meth injection is it helps cool the intake charge not to mention clean the intake valves. Also, with a mixture of meth and distilled water it will help keep the temperatures down or should prevent the nation/Noth and the motor for the most part unless you plan on trying to run 30 pounds of boost or something insane on the factory radio.

I don't think you should need methanol to end up in the 400 range for torque…

The problem here is that the Skyactivedrive transmission is input-limited to 340 lb-ft of torque. While it won’t blow up the first time it sees 400+ lb-ft, its life will certainly be shortened. Not sure about the strengths of the axles, CB joints, etc. Do what you want, but being a bit conservative would likely cost you less reliability trouble in the future.

The problem here is that the Skyactivedrive transmission is input-limited to 340 lb-ft of torque.
It is certainly higher than that because the stock motor outputs 320 lb ft. I doubt Mazda is running these things at the limit.

But yes, we need to think about all the parts of the drivetrain.

Last edited:
I’m really interested in the upgraded turbo that was mentioned above, just don’t want to be a guinea pig. Many times when you upgrade the turbo, you usually have to upgrade the injectors and or the cam driven fuel pump. Also need to talk to the makers of JB4 to see if it could manage the new turbo. From what I gathered, the JB before Kim be used with meth injection. Just not ready for all that just yet probably in the next six months to a year once I’m finished with my free oil changes (last one). Otherwise I might have to go a different route for engine management.

I doubt Mazda engineers designed the transmission to only hold 320 foot pounds of torque. Usually they put in some level of overhead. Plus I plan on running water/meth injection to cool down the engine on those hots 90+degrees days and if it doesn’t cool down the engine and transmission enough , I plan on running an upgraded intercooler and an oil cooler down the road. Just to be clear, I’m looking for about 350 HP at the wheels, and approximately 375-400 torque at the wheels but as I mention, I’m not looking to be a guinea pig and hoping others will be able to test the validity of the turbo, and the motor and transmission. I really want a turbo that will not spool faster as this turbo spools fast. I’m looking for more power up top without blowing the motor.

Last edited:
I don’t drag anymore.

Charmer, I’m sorry to tell you but chances are slim you’ll beat him without serious upgrades.

I agree with what N97 mentioned about drag estimates for this car.

I’m not interested in drag my cx-5.
I just wish to be able to keep up with the rabbits on the highway. This turbo runs out of breath above 90mph (that’s with a tuner and 93 octane).

I'm gonna tree him undoubtedly lol so he will have to drive around me. Might not have the room ( I hope) I rode in his Genesis but he didn't get on it really as he was just showing the features.

I'm going to guess we top out in the mid-to-high 14's at 90-92mph stock and that a modded car could approach 14.0 at 95-97mph.

That's WAY optimistic IMO. From what I've read, it's more like mid 15's.

I don't get why you're pissed at BMS? They told you that it wouldn't fit and that you're welcome to try. You're upset about the restocking fee they quoted? Did you think that they would let you buy and try for free?

Back