Bluetooth phone book download issue

squeaky

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I have a 2014 Touring with tech package and a Nexus 4 phone running Android 4.2.2

I have them connected via Bluetooth but it appears that I only get part of my phone book to download.

Most of my "important" contacts are missing
Some contact have magically merged together in the car's display

I have tried to disconnect and re-add the phone multiple times but that didn't change/help anything
Anyone seen this issue before and have any success getting this to work?

If its any consolation squeaky, I have EXACTLY the same issue but with a 2013 model CX-5 diesel.
My previous Samsung S2 had some contacts on the sim, and moving them to google fixed the issue, however I dont have any on the SIM now and still can't get the full phonebook down. And its really really random in terms of what comes down and what does not. Bizzare. I've spent some time pairing and depairing the phone without sucess.

I believe there's a Bluetooth bug with 4.2.2. that's the cause of this (discussed on the Android forums), hopefully we wont have long to wait being a Nexus.

cheers Dave

I have a '13 GT 2.0 and the same issue. I only get 2 of my contacts to sync no matter what I do. All contacts are on the phone.

The same thing happened to me. Finally my conclusion is that some bluetooth profiles are not included in the last stock Roms from certain manufacturers
Try to install this (sorry but it is a paid app)
http://www.android-rsap.com/bluetooth-phonebook.html
I did have random contacts synced on the cx5 . i tried to move contacts to the phone...etc, but without success.
and once installed that app all my problems solved. Check this thread
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123821008-Samsung-Galaxy-SIII-and-CX-5-Bluetooth/page2

Thanks for posting back. I'm sure it will help someone else. Glad you got it working!

Thanks everyone.
I did find an Android Issue post (https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=40198) where people are having issues with Android v4.x getting their contacts to sync over Bluetooth. Earlier this week someone also posted a link to the app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android_rsap.irmc) and that did fix my issue!

My problem was two-fold (Australian CX5 Akera 2013 model - brand new) - my phonebook from my Samsung Galaxy S4 Active downloads the entire thing, most times it connects (not every time though). Not just the initial pairing, which would make more sense.

My wife's iphone 5, had this problem initially but it appears to have now resolved itself over a few days.

My second problem was that the phonebook which downloaded included all contact groups which I have in my google account (not just the main contact group which the phone has been set to use as its default). As well as taking a damn long time to download each time the phone connects, it meant the 1000 contact limit in the CX5 was exceeded, even though the main contact group I use on the phone has under 500 contacts.

The app above partially fixed my problem as it cleanly paired fresh (after I deleted the earlier pairing profiles from the CX5 and the phone) and then downloaded only the contact group I specified in the app.

However, after making sure that the download was complete and BT audio was working etc, after I disconnected and turned the car off etc, when it all went back on the phone re-connected and... you guessed, proceeded to download the entire phone book again!!

Any suggestions?? The Samsung has the latest firmware and connects to a Pioneer BT head unit in our other car with no problems (and doesn't download the phonebook each time!).

Ahh.. Mine's like that too. My wife's name was not in the contact list, and I was WTF. I hate a HTC One with GoogleExperience rom 4.4.2 (Pure Android) on it. I think it's a problem with Mazda's bluetooth driver because I think it worked fine on Hyundai Sonata rental car.

For what it's worth, bluetooth download/contact sync works properly on my Galaxy Nexus running stock 4.4.2, build KOT49H.

I have the exact same issue. All my contacts are on the phone. Using Nexus 5 on 4.4.2. I realized the contacts that merged are the one sharing the same address. Like for an example, my wife and "home" contact are merged now.

The Android Bluetooth-Phonebook app fixed the problem for me on my Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone (from Verizon)

Partial phonebook download issue

The same thing happened to me. Finally my conclusion is that some bluetooth profiles are not included in the last stock Roms from certain manufacturers
Try to install this (sorry but it is a paid app)
http://www.android-rsap.com/bluetooth-phonebook.html
I did have random contacts synced on the cx5 . i tried to move contacts to the phone...etc, but without success.
and once installed that app all my problems solved. Check this thread
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123821008-Samsung-Galaxy-SIII-and-CX-5-Bluetooth/page2

I have a 2014 CX5 GT w tech and was only getting partial phone book downloads from my HTC One. This Google Play App http://www.android-rsap.com/bluetooth-phonebook.html did the trick. All contacts are now accessible thru voice command.... best $1.95 I've spent in a whle..

I just took delivery on a 2016 CX-5 Sport.
I have been able to pair my iPhone 5C but can't get the phone book downloaded.
It says "phone book empty".
Any suggestions???

Only One...Back to the Dealer!

I just took delivery on a 2016 CX-5 Sport.
I have been able to pair my iPhone 5C but can't get the phone book downloaded.
It says "phone book empty".
Any suggestions???

Sounds like a "New" issue"..Had many issues on my 15 but not that one!

Have Android Phones
LG P870 - Jelly Bean 4.2
Moto G 2nd Gen both KitKat 4.4 and now (unknowingly) Lollipop 5.0. (Really wanted to wait for 5.1...GF DID IT..(nailbyt))
I would not be shy and have only one suggestion....Back to the Dealer!

YOU DID NOT MENTION WHAT PHONE YOU HAVE!
What OS??

If possible try a friends different phone just to make sure it is not the phone itself!

Sounds like a "New" issue"..Had many issues on my 15 but not that one!

Have Android Phones
LG P870 - Jelly Bean 4.2
Moto G 2nd Gen both KitKat 4.4 and now (unknowingly) Lollipop 5.0. (Really wanted to wait for 5.1...GF DID IT..(nailbyt))
I would not be shy and have only one suggestion....Back to the Dealer!

YOU DID NOT MENTION WHAT PHONE YOU HAVE!
What OS??

If possible try a friends different phone just to make sure it is not the phone itself!

As above, it's a iPhone 5C, The IOS is 8..3. The phone was downloading the phone book earlier in the day, and for the past year every time in my Tuscon. The salesman, who is only 1 week selling cars, called me back today when I asked him for suggestions, and he said to un-pair and pair the phone again, and there "should" be some prompt asking to download the address book (per someone else in sales). And if that doesn't work, come by the dealership on Saturday and they will find someone who can help.
So that's what I will do in the morning.

Interesting...

As above, it's a iPhone 5C, The IOS is 8..3. The phone was downloading the phone book earlier in the day, and for the past year every time in my Tuscon. The salesman, who is only 1 week selling cars, called me back today when I asked him for suggestions, and he said to un-pair and pair the phone again, and there "should" be some prompt asking to download the address book (per someone else in sales). And if that doesn't work, come by the dealership on Saturday and they will find someone who can help.
So that's what I will do in the morning.

That sounds like the same old issue that I had with my 2015, before they changed out the BT/USB module. I have not seen any reference to a BT issue on the 16's and imagine that they have changed that part of the system, but who knows.
If you have a mind to (for the heck of it) try the exercise on this thread and see if the combination gives you any info!:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-FIX-USB-playback-and-SMS-Bluetooth!!!/page17

The 2015 setup never prompted for a phonebook d/l...It just did it as soon as it "saw" the phone.
No knock to your phone, but I have steered clear of Iphones, since Apple does some really strange stuff. (I am not an Apple HAter either, and own an Imac)

BTW: I also had a 2011 Tuscon and the Audio/BT/ Voice Rec. setup was SPOT ON! (Hated the ride though).

Pairing and un-pairing may work but I bet that the "problem" returns! Went thru the same BS with my 2015 system but with an Android phone. I found it "illogical" that a BT system would un-pair a phone (data should be stored in non-volatile ram imho)
I am sure they will make it right and at the least you will be on record!

Last edited:
No one at the dealership (2 salesmen....1 service writer) on Saturday knew whether or not the radio in my 2016 CX-5 Sport would be able to download my iPhone 5C phone book.

I even stopped at the Apple store and they said that if the phone is pairing, and there is an empty phone book that is not automatically filled, then it is a question for Mazda. It is not an Apple issue.

Every other car I have ever had with Bluetooth did download the entire phone book, automatically, from my phone.

Confirmed with Pamela at Mazda (800-430-0153 in audio customer service), this morning 5/11/15 at 8:35 AM:

No, the phone book does not download from the phone with this model radio.
Limited to 32 contacts, and each contact can have up to 4 numbers.
Have to enter manually.

This sucks.

I hate to "assume" things, but I never would have thought that a car that lists on the window sticker "Bluetooth Hands Free Phone/Audio" would NOT download the entire phone book, as every other car I have owned the last 10 years does.

Pamela told me the radio with the touch screen does download the phone book.

Yes, my 2015 with the touch screen version downloaded my entire phone ok, some 250 entries. I prefer to use the voice command (Siri) to place calls anyway.

Back