Blown Head Gasket/ Preffered help, please

Hang in there TREY! You are not alone...sometimes the roller coaster of life has to hit a few dips before you can enjoy the view again...

There are a lot of people on here that would like to help you out, perhaps we can find someone in your area from the mazda forums to meet up with you and evaluate your car a little better in person?

Hang in there TREY! You are not alone...sometimes the roller coaster of life has to hit a few dips before you can enjoy the view again...

There are a lot of people on here that would like to help you out, perhaps we can find someone in your area from the mazda forums to meet up with you and evaluate your car a little better in person?

I mean it wont help to have someone look at the car thats from Mazda forum, cause i cant pay for anything at all even if i did know all thats wrong, then besides that, my car insurance is due one week from today.

Wait a second, did you ever try to add more coolant/water. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you basically ran it out of coolant, overheated, noticed some other symptoms, and assumed you had a head gasket problem. But you never just put more coolant/water back in?

Fill the radiator and overflow with water. Start the car and see what happens. Because your system is full of air, as the coolant circulates, the level in the rad and overflow will go down, so you'll have to keep adding some until it levels off.

If it doesn't overheat and the water doesn't disappear, you probably don't have bad gasket.

I understand how you feel about the car. Considering how bad they are, it's not worth investing in them. I would not invest in replacing the head gasket on my s*** box. If it blew, some scrapyard can have it for $50 or whatever they pay these days. I value my time more than money to an extent, I'll just buy another car that doesn't require being worked on every other week while it rusts into the ground prematurely.

Last edited:
Wait a second, did you ever try to add more coolant/water. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you basically ran it out of coolant, overheated, noticed some other symptoms, and assumed you had a head gasket problem. But you never just put more coolant/water back in?

Fill the radiator and overflow with water. Start the car and see what happens. Because your system is full of air, as the coolant circulates, the level in the rad and overflow will go down, so you'll have to keep adding some until it levels off.

If it doesn't overheat and the water doesn't disappear, you probably don't have bad gasket.

I understand how you feel about the car. Considering how bad they are, it's not worth investing in them. I would not invest in replacing the head gasket on my s*** box. If it blew, some scrapyard can have it for $50 or whatever they pay these days. I value my time more than money to an extent, I'll just buy another car that doesn't require being worked on every other week while it rusts into the ground prematurely.

To be honest. Yesterday i tried driving the car. It rode fine, til i put it to the test of the next town over. I couldnt even get a mile without it overheating, and i put alot of water into the overflow and radiator. But still did it. By the time i got turned around at the next exit, the 4th time i had to pull over, i notcied the water i put in the overflow was coolant colored, but not full of coolant. And plus the little crack got turned into a almost golf ball size. And while it suprisingly made it back home with no signs of destruction or nothing. But like i said, its no joke when i said i cant get any money flowing my way. So i cant pay for anything on this car anytime soon. I can barely afford some damn toilet paper, let alone repairs for the car. Im living in poverty pretty much and had hopes to get out, but im stuck.

I hear yah buddy.Im only 24 I make a huge 12.00/hr, my gf works part time and is in college part time, rent is $910 for my townhouse + gas and hydro. Car insurance, gas, food,weekend beer etc..And we have a 1.5yr old. Times arent easy brother. The struggle is real...
Personally i would hang onto the vehicle until you can figure it out once your on your feet. You could scrap the car for whatever, and turns out it was a minor fix. Now you have to buy a new car and lost money.. atleast if you hang onto it until you get some money and figure out the issue and its just too much for you to fix, then scrap it and buy something else. No harm done. To each their own tho. Just one mans opinion

Its also very possible that its clogged with gunk. My brothers jimmy was doing the same thing.. turned out the hose connecting from his airfilter just needed a good blow out.

Last edited:
Could definitely be a thermostat. Diagnosing that is free. You just need to take it off the car and put it in hot water.
Is it easy to get to? Can anyone provide me a diagram or location of it? If its easy, i can possibly get it off and check it. But i think something may be clogged as there was alot of little stuff in the coolant reservoir. Like alot that shouldnt be there. And plus i squeezed the top radiator hose with and without the car started and its easy to sqeeze, and after i sqeeze it, i hear gurgling sounds from the coolant reservoir.

This should have the information you need to get to the thermostat. When you inspected the radiator cap, did you pressure test it or just look at it?

http://www.floptical.net/mazda/service_web/01-12.PDF

Thanks. And i cant afford to loan a pressure test. So i only looked at it. But there was this stuff on the side of thebottom of it that was like hard gunk to get off, i tried to clean it off as much as i could with a towel. And i beleive the radiator is empty as the day i tried driving, i poured about half a bottle of water into tge radiator and it all went down. Then i checked the oil and i noticed the oil got darker than it was the day before. And at a time, i couldnt measure the oil as none got onto the dipstick. Mustve been because the car was off.

1) Autozone and AdvanceAuto tool rental is free. You put a deposit down and get that back when you return the tool. You need these tools to start ruling things out. Otherwise, you're just flying blind. You won't be able to get a definite answer otherwise. Start with the cooling system tester. Test the radiator and the cap, and get back to us. Go for the thermostat too because it's easy to test. Once you do those three things, we can get closer to an answer. It could be a cheap (less than $10) fix. Otherwise, knowing the problem will help you sell the car and get more for it.

http://www.autozone.com/landing/page.jsp?name=loan-a-tool
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/loaner-tools

2) Coolant or water in your oil won't make it darker. It would dilute the oil.

3) Photos help. Post photos of the "gunk" when you get the chance.

4) It sounds like you're losing fluid from the cooling system. If the engine oil level is not changing, I don't think you have a head gasket problem. I think your water is either leaking out of the radiator, leaking out of the cracked overflow tank, or boiling out of the radiator cap. This isn't my expertise, but a lot of other people on this forum really know their stuff.

1) Autozone and AdvanceAuto tool rental is free. You put a deposit down and get that back when you return the tool. You need these tools to start ruling things out. Otherwise, you're just flying blind. You won't be able to get a definite answer otherwise. Start with the cooling system tester. Test the radiator and the cap, and get back to us. Go for the thermostat too because it's easy to test. Once you do those three things, we can get closer to an answer. It could be a cheap (less than $10) fix. Otherwise, knowing the problem will help you sell the car and get more for it.

http://www.autozone.com/landing/page.jsp?name=loan-a-tool
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/loaner-tools

2) Coolant or water in your oil won't make it darker. It would dilute the oil.

3) Photos help. Post photos of the "gunk" when you get the chance.

4) It sounds like you're losing fluid from the cooling system. If the engine oil level is not changing, I don't think you have a head gasket problem. I think your water is either leaking out of the radiator, leaking out of the cracked overflow tank, or boiling out of the radiator cap. This isn't my expertise, but a lot of other people on this forum really know their stuff.

Yeah i see why its considered "free". You basically trade money, which i dont have. If i had the money to loan the tools, oh yeah i would borrow to them. But i know theres no leaks anywhere in the coolant system besides that hole in the coolant reservoir, but no coolant has entered it, and plus i have the hole patched with gorilla tape. But i think its boiling and evaporating away. Thats what the water was doing when the car kept overheating. There would be a bunch of water particles on the hood above the coolant reservoir, water on the metal bar that holds the hood up, and it was around it on the air filter and the side of the battery. Luckily no water got on the terminals. But im about to go out and try to get the thermostat taken off and i'll see whats up with that. I'll keep posted on it, and again, what are the places where i upload the pictures to post them here? I'll gladly post pics of the car itself to show the beauty of rusted fenders and damage. Haha

Well theres no way im gertinf that off
I have no extension for my crappy wrench. And its already in a very tight spot. I couldnt even get the "hot" plate off as the bolts are rusted to the damn thing. So i bent that up, expecting to break it, but i see the headers and they look rusty as hell. I can upload pics of inside there but i dont remember the way to upload it. But im definally not getting that off by myself.

Hard to see. Does it look / feel like oil?

Do you or your dad have a credit card. Rent tools with credit. Upon return, money goes right back on card. No cash needed.

I don't understand how you had enough money to just up and do a head gasket 2 days ago, but now you don't have money to rent tools to diagnose? It makes no sense. Head gaskets alone are $40, nevermind the intake and exhaust gasket you'll have to replace on the way. Guess how much it costs to rent a compression tester from Advance: $42 and you get 100% of it back. If you have the money for a head gasket, you have the money for the tool. And if you don't have the tools to get at a thermostat, you don't have the tools to get at a head gasket.

Head gaskets are a big job. You're struggling to do the proper diagnostics so I can't imagine how you could possibly do the actual repair.

Sorry, man, I believe anyone can do anything mechanical if they've got the will, but you've found an excuse for every suggestion given. I don't buy that you can't find some money or help somewhere. Somebody needs some yardwork done (walk).

Last edited:
So here is inside the radiator. There is milky stuff on the side in there. Not sure if i can upload the pic like this but here is the link to the image.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rquew198oqi1abt/2016-04-15 17.41.28.jpg?dl=0

Looks like the previous owner may have already dumped in some stop leak.

The thermostat is just behind where the lower hose meets the block. Pull the hose off and there's two or three 12mm bolts need to be removed, then pull the housing.

If the lower hose stays cool when the engine is overheating, that's most likely the issue.

Either remove it altogether or replace it if you have a few extra dollars.

I don't normally recommend removing them, but it sounds like you aren't going to keep this car long term, and it may allow you to drive for a couple weeks.

I have seen the head gasket repair stuff work to some extent. It can clog heater cores and small passages though. Follow the instructions to the letter, and again, it may buy you some time until you can land a job and another car, or the proper repair.

Last edited:
Hard to see. Does it look / feel like oil?

Do you or your dad have a credit card. Rent tools with credit. Upon return, money goes right back on card. No cash needed.

I don't understand how you had enough money to just up and do a head gasket 2 days ago, but now you don't have money to rent tools to diagnose? It makes no sense. Head gaskets alone are $40, nevermind the intake and exhaust gasket you'll have to replace on the way. Guess how much it costs to rent a compression tester from Advance: $42 and you get 100% of it back. If you have the money for a head gasket, you have the money for the tool. And if you don't have the tools to get at a thermostat, you don't have the tools to get at a head gasket.

Head gaskets are a big job. You're struggling to do the proper diagnostics so I can't imagine how you could possibly do the actual repair.

Sorry, man, I believe anyone can do anything mechanical if they've got the will, but you've found an excuse for every suggestion given i don't buy that you can't find some money or help somewhere. Somebody needs some yardwork done (walk).

The reason i thought i could get a head gasket Wednsday, is because someone was gonna buy some clothes from me i cant fit. But they up and changed their mind. And yeah, im known for having "excuses" as my dad calls them. No he nor me have a credit card, as im not a supporter of credit cards, and my dad...i dont even know, as he doesnt tell me nothing about him, nor will he ever. But look:
My phone has been off for two months,
My car insurance is due Thursday,
No job can get ahold of me if they even wanted to, as my dad is gone all day everyday.
And you dont live in this area. I live in the worst place of my town(considered the ghetto), and its hard to even start a conversation with someone here. My "excuses" are MY problems i have. Im a fairly shy guy in person. And these problems i stated before you, are only part of the problems in my life. I been through hell and back my whole life with my dad, and i hold s*** in. Hes my dad, and if i get mad and make it personal, it wont end pretty. So i hold it all in. I know it sounds fishy man, but seriously listen to me when i say this, everything im saying is true. I literally cant get a job nowhere.
I have no criminal record, nothing. And i've applied at over 10 jobs within 50 miles of my town. Im in hard times, always have been. Im trying so hard to get the hell out of my dads apartment, and get my own cause im considered a "low life" and all this other s*** because i try all the time to get a job and better myself, theres nothing i can do to make this dude happy or satisfied to have him even call me his boy. I asked everyone i know to help. My own brother won't let me work with him making about 10 an hour. I've been breaking apart internally since i turned 18. Im ignorant in many topics, but i been mature since i entered jr high awhile back. I've had my life threatned, chocked out, cursed at, and swung at by my dad. And this goes way back. I was heavily bullied in elementary school. I was gonna do suicide at the age of 11, i was put on pills and consoling, (which didnt last long, as i never talked to the therapist, and the one time i did, i got punished by my dad when we got home because he told my dad everything i said he does) that never worked because i control my own actions, and pills just dont work for me. I almost slit my throat one day in my room cause it was too much, but at the moment that blade touched my neck, i realized the big picture of growing up, and better myself more than my dad and anyone else. At least thats what i thought. Thats only half of my problems man, im sorry for throwing my life at you like this. But its hard man, it really is, and you needed some lighting on me. I've been a slave to my dad since i was able to talk and walk good enough. I was his puppet. I was more of a object to him than his child. But im the most paitent and real ass man you will ever meet. I have very little friends. Im in depression almost every minute of every ******* day. This is me, i feel you deserve alittle background of where im coming from in this and why im so ify, or what you yourself would call " a man with excuses." i have "excuses" for everything because im a very sharp guy. I pay close attention to details in life, i had to help others with their lives for 18 years, and never had i the time to prepare for my own life. To me my life started when i turned 18. But so far i been in the same damn pit since November. Now i dont know you that well, so im not gonna assume, but everyone has problems, whether similar or not, we all take things differently, and i hold my anger, depression, sadness, and confusion inside and im just a ticking bomb for whoever sets me off in the worst way. So there you go, man. You should understand a bit of me and why i am who i am. Im much more of a talker online than in person cause this is what im used to, is typing. Its a gift that im highly educated in words, reading and focus. But sorry if its too much. I could honestly write a book about my life, thats how.much i go into detail with myself, but yet im never interesting towards the right crowd.

Sorry s***'s really rough for you man. You're definitely not having a good week. Hopefully, we can help you get this car fixed so you can keep making things better for yourself. Fixing these cars is very doable if you follow the advice of the people here who know their s***. The credit card thing is a bind, but get back to us if you can find a way to do it. We got this thing.

Looks like the previous owner may have already dumped in some stop leak.

The thermostat is just behind where the lower hose meets the block. Pull the hose off and there's two or three 12mm bolts need to be removed, then pull the housing.

If the lower hose stays cool when the engine is overheating, that's most likely the issue.

Either remove it altogether or replace it if you have a few extra dollars.

I don't normally recommend removing them, but it sounds like you aren't going to keep this car long term, and it may allow you to drive for a couple weeks.

I have seen the head gasket repair stuff work to some extent. It can clog heater cores and small passages though. Follow the instructions to the letter, and again, it may buy you some time until you can land a job and another car, or the proper repair.

Thanks. And actually my first intentions with this car was to suip it up for race track racing over time. I wanted to make it my project car. But thats not gonna happen anytime soon, sadly. And again before i bought this car its been sitting for a year and a half with the spare tire on it, and that was flat. Last time its been inspected was 2014. I bought it a week after New Years. And it sat up at my place since last month. And i cant pull the hose off, as when i tried, there was a bunch of coolant dripping out of it. And plus i have no extentions to get the back bolts. It was bad enough i had to bemd the hell out of the hot plate because the bolts were rusted shut, literally. I honestly think the thermostat may be clogged as when i pulled the upper hose off, the upper plastic of the tube was chipped off and was terrible. Heres the picture of the upper radiator tube with the hose off
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5b8emwvfnc3i7hl/2016-04-15 17.48.13.jpg?dl=0

And here is the lower radiator hose partially off where the coolant was dripping from, theres a bumch of green ish white powder that was around that hose inside.

Back