Blizzard hitting Mid-Atlantic..CX5 is ready

jhu8

:
16 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech
Well first big snow of the year is coming our way. I'm about 30 miles NE of Baltimore and looks like we will be getting slammed! Still gotta get some stuff as I recently bought a house and still need a shovel lol I'm excited though, especially since storms like this aren't common. Is there anyone else here in the path of this big snow storm? Your CX-5 ready? This will be the first snow my CX-5 sees so I'm pretty anxious to see how it does. I've driven through 1.5+ foot of snow before but I'm gonna be hesitant in my new CX-5. Previous vehicle I did that in was a 97 Infiniti QX4. But anyway, what's the most snow you guys have driven your CX-5 in?

Well first big snow of the year is coming our way. I'm about 30 miles NE of Baltimore and looks like we will be getting slammed! Still gotta get some stuff as I recently bought a house and still need a shovel lol I'm excited though, especially since storms like this aren't common. Is there anyone else here in the path of this big snow storm? Your CX-5 ready? This will be the first snow my CX-5 sees so I'm pretty anxious to see how it does. I've driven through 1.5+ foot of snow before but I'm gonna be hesitant in my new CX-5. Previous vehicle I did that in was a 97 Infiniti QX4. But anyway, what's the most snow you guys have driven your CX-5 in?

With winter tyres it would be virtually unstoppable. Keep us informed.

I'm in NJ and am also looking forward to testing my wife's new CX-5 in the snow. I have a steep hill in my neighborhood that I use for testing traction. So far I have tested my '96 Chevy Suburban, my wife's '04 Honda Pilot (replaced with CX-5) and my daughter's '02 Chevy Tracker. They were tested under the same conditions with the exact same tires (Michelin LTX M+S). All are 4WD or AWD (Pilot).

My Suburban is unstoppable. With a 42 gallon gas tank over the rear wheels and a locking rear differential, it doesn't even need 4WD to start on the hill. In a separate test in 4WD I was able to drive through 20" of unplowed snow. But once you get all of that mass moving, don't expect to stop too quickly.

My daughter's Tracker is also surprisingly good at hill starts in the snow. It has the same old style locked center differential 4WD as my Suburban.

The AWD Pilot was a very different experience. It passed the hill start test without a problem, but I found it much easier to break the tires loose if I purposely gave it too much gas. And when I got the tires spinning, I could feel the electric clutches kicking in and out for the rear wheels.

This is strictly my opinion of snow traction up a hill in a straight line. In real world driving conditions with cornering, the AWD system in the Pilot may be better. AWD systems don't lock the front and rear axles together which can cause slippage when cornering.

Last edited:
Yeah my parents house a nice steep driveway to test the ability. My house also has a nice hill around it as well. Should be interesting. I'm running the stock tires. But I've always done that in all my cars. Never used winter tires.

Ready here a little northwest of Baltimore. Car and snowblower gassed up. Won't be able to go anywhere unless secondary streets are plowed if we're getting 20 inches of snow, though.

My older son lives outside of DC. Last night there was a dusting of snow during commuting time which caused over 160 crashes in Virginia including a fatality. He went to school at UVM in Burlington VT, and drives a 4Runner with Blizzak snow tires down there. He is absolutely amazed as to how paralyzed the area is with a hint of snow.
He is staying off the road as that blizzard comes in because no one down is either prepared for it with snow tires or understands how to drive in it...

My older son lives outside of DC. Last night there was a dusting of snow during commuting time which caused over 160 crashes in Virginia including a fatality. He went to school at UVM in Burlington VT, and drives a 4Runner with Blizzak snow tires down there. He is absolutely amazed as to how paralyzed the area is with a hint of snow.
He is staying off the road as that blizzard comes in because no one down is either prepared for it with snow tires or understands how to drive in it...

Yeah I saw someone post a picture of google maps traffic this morning d/t the dusting of snow, and DC was just littered with red. Pretty crazy. You're right though, majority of people in this region aren't prepared to drive and handle such a storm. In their defense though, these don't happen often.

But usually with a storm of this caliber in this area, I think it'll keep most people at home because they won't have any other choice.

It'll be interesting. I grew up in Maine but this is my first car with AWD living in central VA. We have several steep hills on my road so it'll be interesting if I'll be able to get up/down them. Fingers crossed our power stays on!

Ha, this one missed us...sort of...

At least this one missed us in Reno. Lake Tahoe has been getting their share if -3 footers though. Always amazed me how a 2 foot snow storm destroys the East Coast, while places like Lake Tahoe, just keep on rippen...until we get a few 4 footers that is! LOL. I still keep a decent snow blower at the ready in the Reno Valley though...There used to be the day where Reno got pasted pretty good! Kind of weird seeing the tops (only) of stop signs sticking up through the white stuff. CX-5 + M+S + snow blower get me out of almost anything! :)

I am in PA, I will most likely be near the PA/MD state line this weekend. I am ready for the snow, can't wait to try out the AWD. Also, the snowmobiles are on the trailer ready to go too!

It'll be interesting. I grew up in Maine but this is my first car with AWD living in central VA. We have several steep hills on my road so it'll be interesting if I'll be able to get up/down them. Fingers crossed our power stays on!

That's exactly what my son experienced, he has some long grades where he lives in Arlington and he saw 10 cars piled up at the bottom of his street...either way try to stay off the roads this weekend...it's usually the other drivers that are the issue...stay safe!

You all are lucky. You're getting snow, we're getting ice. Utility is calling for major power outages

You guys around Baltimore are gonna get hammered. We're only going to get a measly 8 to 14 inches...

You guys around Baltimore are gonna get hammered. We're only going to get a measly 8 to 14 inches...

Technically, 8 to 14 in is kinda already getting hammered lol Not to me, but this area is crazy like that. Anything more than a couple inches will set off a chaos around here. Probably though just cause it's rare and exciting when it happens.

I live in upstate New York so I am used to driving in the snow. In fact, this past weekend I went out west and they were having a huge lake effect snow storm. I saw so many people off of the road, but my car did great. My area will not be affected by this snow storm, but I'm sure we will get one eventually.

Last edited:
I'm north of Baltimore also. Not looking forward to it.
I don't have a CX-5 yet but the wife got a Chevy Equinox a few months ago with AWD. I'll try going out a little with it, but don't want to get stuck somewhere. I've never had an AWD vehicle before, so I might be wrong, but I don't see the Equinox or a CX-5 going through a foot or more of snow. I'm sure everyone will tell me I'm wrong, but I'm not expecting that kind of snow ability. We'll see.

Back