Big Brake Kits

MonctonP5

:
2003 Mazda Protg5
After coming up empty after searching the forum, I thought I'd ask:

Can there be a front big brake kit that will allow me to get a "bigger than stock" rotor setup that will still allow me to clear my winter 15" steel wheels?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Big brake kits with bigger rotors = yes.

That will fit 15" wheels (which are smaller than stock wheels lol) = no way in hell.

Best bet is to get the MZ6 front brakes and you can still run 16's

You would have to run either the MSP brakes or the 2004-2006 Mazda6 brakes. The 2007-2008 models have larger
Brakes that will not fit a 15" rim. And the Mazdaspeed6 brakes sure as he'll won't fit.

You would have to run either the MSP brakes or the 2004-2006 Mazda6 brakes. The 2007-2008 models have larger
Brakes that will not fit a 15" rim. And the Mazdaspeed6 brakes sure as he'll won't fit.

The 03-05 have 11.1 inch rotor, and 06-08 have 11.8 inch. I am running 06 Mz6 brakes with MSP Racingharts. they will clear the stock 16's too, but no chance for 15's. Not sure the 03-04's will fit in a 15, but I doubt it.

wheel.jpg

Under Racingharts

Last edited:
That actually looks like a very "OEM" fit under the racing harts, I think most folks would be hard pressed to see the difference. Nice job.

I'd say the 06-08 V6 cars would be the most desireable for folks, but I'm not sure how popular they are. The mazdaspeed6 setup is what a lot of people "want" there was even a group buy for that not to long ago. The key for folks that do all four corners is getting their hands on the emergency brake cables for the Mazda6, hence my inquirey ;)

noob question but do you need to buy the calipers, will they work in the back as well, also are the fusion v6 brakes the same

You would need the calipers and brackets. The rears are also bolt on and do not require any trimming to the dust shield. The rears actually are not much bigger than the stock P5 equipment. Your stock ebrake cables will be too short, you will need to grab these from the doner car as well. The fusion brakes are the same but there was a rotor/caliper size difference between the years, I'm not sure when the cutover was for the fusion. All of my mazda6 calipers actually had FoMoCo stamped on them. This upgrade will also make use of your stock brake lines; its actually quite a sweet little setup.

I have a Speed Protege front brake upgrade for the P5...has rotors, pads, calipers for sale...let me know if interested...

So do you just do the front calipers from the MZ6 swap to the P5 then or all the way around?

I'd say the 06-08 V6 cars would be the most desireable for folks, but I'm not sure how popular they are. The mazdaspeed6 setup is what a lot of people "want" there was even a group buy for that not to long ago. The key for folks that do all four corners is getting their hands on the emergency brake cables for the Mazda6, hence my inquirey ;)

So I found an 04 with 3 of the calipers intact and the brake cable, do you think the 04 would fit our P5?

mazda6 brakes make no difference if there off a 4 cyl, or v6. there the same brakes either way. the only thing that changes is the year. same as the fusions. there the same no matter what engine. they only change by the year just like the mazda6's.

03-05 brakes mazda6 WILL clear a 15in wheel.
06-08 need a 16in wheel
mazdaspeed6 brakes need a 17in wheel.

here's a pic of a OEM mazda 626 15in wheel on my mazda6 just to show that a 15 does indeed clear.

brakeclearence002.jpg

brakeclearence001.jpg

brakeclearence004.jpg

Back