Best Cold Air

That 17whp increase is with the FMIC right, so without it would be minimal...right? Like 3-5whp.
Larone said:
You know I never really understood why iON Performance received so much slack for their wait times, when now so many people are saying they too have had to wait for consierable periods of time for parts from many other vendors here (including the much respected MAM..who I too respect). I for one can wait.
Back to the CAI, I would like to know where it was ever determined that the turbohoses intake spooled the turbo a few RPMs sooner than iONs. The iON intake gave a uniform 17whp increase between 3500 and 5000 rpm (and gained 24whp at 4700 rpm). This was at stock boost with the iON FMIC installed.

Rawyzf said:
That 17whp increase is with the FMIC right, so without it would be minimal...right? Like 3-5whp.

Correct. With the FMIC already installed, the intake then added a further 17whp across the powerband.
BTW, does Turbohoses use aluminum piping for the MSP SRI as they do with their SMIC upgrade? I ask because I know you'll never find less than SS from iON Performance. Just curious.

The Turbohoses SMIC upgrade seems a good unit though.

Last edited:
The TH SMIC is great. I wish I knew about the SRI, but have no clue.
Larone said:
Correct. Read above.
BTW, does Turbohoses use aluminum piping for the MSP SRI as they do with their SMIC upgrade? I ask because I know you'll never find less than SS from iON Performance. Just curious.

The Turbohoses SMIC upgrade seems a good unit though.

I had all of the same questions everyone else has for turbohoses so i emailed them and this is what they had to say. First are the questions i asked them.

I have a few questions regarding your MSP SRI, I was wondering exactly what is so good about this intake, compared to an injen CAI or the Perrin SRI that makes you be able to sell it for almost 200 dollars more than those two? I am not trying to be rude or anything like that I just really want to know the specs or dyno results or something??? just looking for information as to a reasoning for my extra money to be spent on this. Thanks.
Matt

This is their reply...

From one intake to another, they do the same as far as WOT is concerned.
However, we use our airram technology with a 6" inlet on the filter. which is the difference between our intake and any other intake for the Msp on the market.

Turbohoses AirRam & Velocity Stacks

If you like, you can purchase the intake without the airram and bring down the price a bit.
One thing that most people fail to understand is the volumetric efficiency necessary for peak numbers and the relation of it to the amount of air necessary to supply the given hp number.

All intakes pose a restriction, some more than others. However, when you are competing against aftermarket intakes, the difference is the volume and how it is scavenged into the systems. Our intakes definitely address all areas.

Thank you,

Hoover
Super Silicone Hoses
www.turbohoses.com
R&D Lab

Larone said:
You know I never really understood why iON Performance received so much slack for their wait times, when now so many people are saying they too have had to wait for consierable periods of time for parts from many other vendors here (including the much respected MAM..who I too respect). I for one can wait.
Back to the CAI, I would like to know where it was ever determined that the turbohoses intake spooled the turbo a few RPMs sooner than iONs. The iON intake gave a uniform 17whp increase between 3500 and 5000 rpm (and gained 24whp at 4700 rpm). This was at stock boost with the iON FMIC installed.

On stock boost.
If anyone local has this set up, we'll be glad to dyno it.
From experience, I already know what the results will be.
We've tested quite a few intakes/intercoolers and so far everyone's numbers have been almost the same when it came to a front mount.

TurboHoses

get yourself a ebay CAI for mazdaspeeds and than buy a Apex'i filter. You will have better filtration than any other brand while the price and hp game is the same

Larone said:
I love my iON CAI. I don't know how much increased hp it gives over stock, but with the iON FMIC installed, I believe the CAI gained ~13peak whp vs. the stock air box (someone correct me if I am wrong, I don't have the dyno charts handy).

Also, iON uses Stainless Steel (unlike Injen which uses aluminum), and iON uses silicone hoses & SS clamps vs. rubber hoses and just steel clamps.

Everything iON makes is top notch...part for part.

We've spoken to ION before and even supplied them with a few parts for their kits.

The type of metal on an intake isn't so critical that you will net any promising results, basically, expect nothing. As a matter of fact, Stainless Steel will keep more heat in than act has a heat sink. Most companies will choose this metal because it's easy to "polish" for a nice lookig finished piece, however, there are no gains to be seen here by metal.

Our design used a rather long silicone hose which shielded "most" of the hot air from the radiator. The addtional length helped wrap the tubing and restricts it from maxium heat exposure.

TurboHoses

wicked said:
yes,when you pair any of these intakes up with a good FMIC, the gains a much graeter.the numbers I posted are for stock comparison.

As far as the turbohoses spool time,this can be confirmed,I contaced Hoover at turbohoses before I posted the numbers I did.

unfortunatly Hoover does not post DYNO sheets,because he does R&D,and in that field people rip off info to much to risk.

TURBOHOSES tested a few intakes,including INJEN,and all gained about the same,some in other places of the power band then others.

INJEN,and AEM do not R&D ,they test for fitment only,then dyno to see how much power they made,then sell.no fine tuning.

just by looking at the TURBOHOSES intake,you can see where it WILL outflow.

the turbohoses intake,can also be upgraded to fit a GT28RS turbo as well

Wicked hit it right on the nose!!!

Any time we finish a product, we always go back and try to improve upon our own design whether it's at the track, dyno or street.

This past weekend there was a huge race in San Jose called the San Jose Grand Prix. Some of you may have went and/or seen it all over television.
We had a few cars that had our products and each of them made an appt. for us to do some last minute developement to squeeze just a little more hp. We found this difficult as the parts were already supplied by us. Out of the three cars: two of them left with 24+whp and one with 6+whp when we tweaked the EMS and redesigned the intakes with our AirRam. Overall we took 2nd and 3rd place to the quick Spoon RSX. Next time, we'll get them for sure!!!

www.sanjosegrandprix.com, there aren't any pics. of our cars, but this was the same weekend and same track, just different category.

On the street-

We also wanted to put the cold air vs. short ram to a real world test-
Our test bench vehicle drove the same route for 3 weeks with the short ram and then we adapted tubing to make it a true CAI with our airram. All in all, it's great aside from the spool increasing. Is there a true solution, you bet, but there are modifications that need to be done in order to have a CAI with our airram that truley is an upgrade.
This may be an option in the future. For now, our local customers can come in and have us do the modification for them at an additional charge.

TurboHoses

wicked - Our CAI can also be upgraded to fit a GT28RS turbo as well. One silicone hose needs to be changed :)

Rawyzf - Here's info straight from the horse's mouth. Our parts were independantly tested by Turbo & High-Tech Performance Magazine @ SP Engineering's facilities: "baseline" was with our stage 1 FMIC kit already installed. Note the power curve. Smooth and non-peaky.

pg5.jpg

pg6.jpg

Turbohoses - Thanks for helping us with those silicone pieces; we were in a bind for a particular project car. Your silicone hoses were not used in any of our CAI or FMIC kits for the MSP.

The type of metal on an intake isn't so critical that you will net any promising results, basically, expect nothing. As a matter of fact, Stainless Steel will keep more heat in than act has a heat sink. Most companies will choose this metal because it's easy to "polish" for a nice lookig finished piece, however, there are no gains to be seen here by metal.

This actually is a "loaded" statement. The material does make a difference when it comes to minimizing losses rather then having extra "gains". We chose to use SS as material of choice for several reasons. Emperical testing with the several rally/enduro/roadrace teams we R&D with shows that utilizing SS for I/C as well as intake piping will keep IAT's constant. SS does not radiate heat like aluminium; it is also much more durable then aluminium.

wicked said:
yes,when you pair any of these intakes up with a good FMIC, the gains a much graeter.the numbers I posted are for stock comparison.

huh? with my fmic and cold air intake i didn't notice sh!t.

iON Performance said:
wicked - Our CAI can also be upgraded to fit a GT28RS turbo as well. One silicone hose needs to be changed :)

Rawyzf - Here's info straight from the horse's mouth. Our parts were independantly tested by Turbo & High-Tech Performance Magazine @ SP Engineering's facilities: "baseline" was with our stage 1 FMIC kit already installed. Note the power curve. Smooth and non-peaky.

pg5.jpg

pg6.jpg

Turbohoses - Thanks for helping us with those silicone pieces; we were in a bind for a particular project car. Your silicone hoses were not used in any of our CAI or FMIC kits for the MSP.

This actually is a "loaded" statement. The material does make a difference when it comes to minimizing losses rather then having extra "gains". We chose to use SS as material of choice for several reasons. Emperical testing with the several rally/enduro/roadrace teams we R&D with shows that utilizing SS for I/C as well as intake piping will keep IAT's constant. SS does not radiate heat like aluminium; it is also much more durable then aluminium.

Minimizing restriction is much more important than minizing losses on an "intake".

However, steel and stainless alike will radiate 136 deg. f. while aluminum will be about 125 deg. f. degrees. Of course this is on IC piping with a car fully warm and driven.

As you said, rally/enduro & road racing temperatures are always more constant because they maintain a more even rate of temp. and constant air flow than street driven cars which come to complete stops, starts and maybe a friendly race or two.

While steel is stronger, it's not necessary to have super strong IC pipes.
Given the correct material thickness and not over torquing to the rated 215 in. lbs. found on most t-bolt clamps is what damages the pipes.

We are more than happy to dyno any product, just bring it in to us.

TurboHoses

stock intake w/ K&N filter. cut out the side of the lower airbox and bam, you've got the power and the sound so many ppl want...

Turbohoses said:
Minimizing restriction is much more important than minizing losses on an "intake".

However, steel and stainless alike will radiate 136 deg. f. while aluminum will be about 125 deg. f. degrees. Of course this is on IC piping with a car fully warm and driven.

As you said, rally/enduro & road racing temperatures are always more constant because they maintain a more even rate of temp. and constant air flow than street driven cars which come to complete stops, starts and maybe a friendly race or two.

While steel is stronger, it's not necessary to have super strong IC pipes.
Given the correct material thickness and not over torquing to the rated 215 in. lbs. found on most t-bolt clamps is what damages the pipes.

We are more than happy to dyno any product, just bring it in to us.

TurboHoses

I'm sure iON Performance would be more than happy to dyno the Turbohoses products as well. Just bring it to them.

Larone said:
I'm sure iON Performance would be more than happy to dyno the Turbohoses products as well. Just bring it to them.

We're more than happy to help in anyway we can.
It would be very interesting to have not only our products dyno'd but other vendors outside of ION and TurboHoses as well.

If we can get a hold of some parts from other vendors we can just have fun one day and dyno all of the IC kits, piping, intakes and exhausts (even though we don't have one).

We purchased a new dyno earlier this year. Our new dynojet is for R&D only and we can also apply load for real world simulation if necessary. We can also cross reference boost and intercooler efficiency with our new four channel module. I believe we are the only one to have this component from dynojet in the U.S.

Lets make it happen.

TurboHoses

Back