Best Brake Options for MS6??

MS6 - FNG

:
2006 MazdaSpeed6 #1901, Titanium Grey Metallic, No mods yet
My 2006 MazdaSpeed6 is in need of some new brakes, and I was wondering what the concensus is for the best bang for the buck. I am not interested in doing a whole Brembo Big Brake kit for $1500 +, but I was thinking about new brake pads and possibly rotors.

My first choice in Brake pads would be the Hawk HPS. I found them on Protege Garage for $90 Front, $75 Rear.

Initially I was considering the "Stoptech" rotors, but not sure I like the 2 piece design. At the moment, my choice is the Rotora brand, slotted only. $240 Front, $165 Rear.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

i am currently in the same situation. However, i think i have made my mind up. I will be order slotted stoptech rotors and hawk HPS pads tomorrow. I keep hearing theyre a very good setup for road use.

Hey MR083 - Nice that someone finally had a response. I am having my doubts about this forum. My requests for info get little to no responses.

After a lot of research, I decided to go a different way. I am waiting for the new parts to arrive. I went with the EBC Slotted Rotors, and RedStuff brake pads. I decided to go ahead and do all 4 wheels. Total cost is $720 through EBCRotors.com

Item Sku Qty Subtotal
EBC-USR7393 - EBC USR Series sport slotted rotors
Vehicle
USR7393: 2006 Mazda 6 Mazdaspeed-- EBC-USR7393 1 $299.70
EBC-USR7394 - EBC USR Series sport slotted rotors
Vehicle
USR7394: 2006 Mazda 6 Mazdaspeed-- EBC-USR7394 1 $197.62
EBC-DP31773C - EBC Redstuff Ceramic LOW DUST Brake Pads
Vehicle
DP31773C: 2006 Mazda 6 Mazdaspeed-- EBC-DP31773C 1 $131.20
EBC-DP31766C - EBC Redstuff Ceramic LOW DUST Brake Pads
Vehicle
DP31766C: 2006 Mazda 6 Mazdaspeed-- EBC-DP31766C 1 $91.67

I also bought new stainless brake and clutch line from Corksport, along with the LED light package for Interior and the DRLs. That already arrived and will be installed at the same time.

Best of luck -

This forum doesn't see a lot of traffic anymore...I only check in every couple of weeks, and I'll probably give that up soon.

Slotted rotors aren't worth it unless you're tracking the car heavily and need the cooling. For daily driving, canyon cruising and light track duty the stock brake system is actually very good. Look at Centric premium rotors for replacement. For pads, there are more opinions on what is good or bad, so it depends on what you want.

should I wake this thread up?? .. alright, lets do it.

so I replaced my front rotors and pads with stoptech slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. so far, very good. there is no noise, almost no dust and the stopping bite is violent. installation was pretty simple although the bolts were hard to get off (one bolt took me nearly 2hrs, but i got that mu******** out).

here is a quick pick that i snapped. i was gonna also paint the calipers but i couldn't find G2 paint locally so i put it off until i get wheels, its not like u can see them with stock wheels.

6584aa53.jpg

Looks good. I also have the RedStuff brake pads, but stock rotors. That combination dusts as much as the OEMs. Glad yours is working out for you!

HPS definitely has less dust than stock (i have put them up to some heavy tests :p ) with that said, they still produce dust just no where as much

Hey I've noticed a couple of you guys are from the North...
But for myself too I'm in need of new brakes and rotors. It's rather difficult to find brands that are sold on **********, RPM, and ProtegeGarage from shops here in Toronto.

Honestly I would just order these things but I hate the idea of "Free Shipping" to the 48 States only and ME I got pay an arm and leg.

ya man... i got mine from **********, and they wanted $150 or something like for shipping to victoria bc. i visited some friends in the states and i had it shipped to their address then paid $25 to get them on the plane back.

if i were u, id try to ship them somewhere in michigan and drive down and pick them up. definitely worth it if u order many parts or at least save $100 on shipping.

+++ 1 on the above by mr083 - have a po box in the us.....its much cheaper....rock auto FTW

Just wanted to report on my brake experience. At about 50K I replaced the OEM with Stoptech slotted rotors and the RedStuff pads. I had some squeal for the first couple of days driving, but that went away, and they stop as good as the OEM setup or better, less dust for sure. I now have 95K and pulled the rims just the other day. I do a good percentage of highway driving, but still, they look barely used on front and back. Rotors are perfect, no warping. I'm gonna get a lot of miles out of this combo, I'm very happy with them.

Back