Best Alternative to CX-5

All the last few pages have told me is that a bunch of you are holding on to an irrational sentiments from 30+ years ago....lol

There are a tonne of damn fine looking wagons from Audi, BMW, Mazda and more that are more fuel efficient, better handling and in most cases beat your CUV's for cargo space.

But carry on thinking your CUV, which is basically a tarted up hatchback and is ACTUALLY the 'soccer mom' vehicle du jour, is some how 'better' :p

Sadly, image is one of the primary considerations for many people's preferences. It's just human nature. "It's more important to look good than to BE good." "You look mah-velous!"

Saab made a pretty nice wag....errr Sport Combi as they called it. [emoji16]
ec7bf46f4516a44fa92e4cbcb9cd2716.jpg

That's because they ARE wagons.

Bet an Outback could.

For the record the Outback has 8.7" clearance, while our CX-5s only have 7.6".

But I'll take a CX-5 over an Outback any day.

Outback would be the exception, yes. I am more speaking to the general. (Wagons, sedans, whatever) would have seriously had a hard time with my old driveway.

As for the bolded. Speak for yourself. YOUR CX-5 has 7.6" of clearance. Gen 1 CX-5 has 8.5" of clearance. :D

Last edited:
Outback would be the exception, yes. I am more speaking to the general. (Wagons, sedans, whatever) would have seriously had a hard time with my old driveway.

As for the bolded. Speak for yourself. YOUR CX-5 has 7.6" of clearance. Gen 1 CX-5 has 8.5" of clearance. :D

(gah)
Luckily, I didn't buy it for the ground clearance... or the acceleration... or the mileage...or the cargo capacity.... (hump)

Owning a CUV is not "cool" in this day and age. CUVs have become the most mainstream, generic, suburban middle class, just like everybody else mobiles. Sure, they are useful. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking we're driving something that's cool.

Owning a CUV is not "cool" in this day and age. CUVs have become the most mainstream, generic, suburban middle class, just like everybody else mobiles. Sure, they are useful. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking we're driving something that's cool.

It's cool....for a CUV. But agreed on your general premise.

Luckily I get to have fun driving my CUV compared to most of the rest of the CUVs out there. :D

In America, wagon is not cool, but companies like Subaru and Buick sure are trying hard. To each their own.

The vast majority of luxury car companies, (which BTW Mazda is hoping to compete in the entry level with), have wagons in their lineup of vehicles (even in 'Murrica) for a reason.

Because a good number of their buyers demand them.

Why would you buy it, then?

Since I can only justify owning one vehicle, it's the perfect compromise, since I need AWD, occl hauling stuff, a city car, a highway cruiser, and a back road toy. Plus it has great electronics and safety features and MRCC and that awesome HUD. And it handles AND rides better than anything like that deserves to.

The CX-5 is by far the best value, and the best driving experience available today, given those parameters.

It's not the best by some measures, but it's surely the best overall, for the money.

Unless any of those other things are more important to you! (rofl2)

Subaru made a WRX wagon in the past. That was a real 'Sport Wagon'.

Yup, I had that car when I lived in the UK and it was fun and very useful. Easy to throw two bikes in the bike and fantastic driving experience. Expensive as heck to keep on the road.

One man's cool is another man's dork. A kid's cool is not his daddy's cool. Etc.

But I agree with you, they are just so common. They're cooler than minivans anyway.

Was that the Sabaru?
No. The one I showed was the 9-3. The Saabaru was the 9-2. The 9-3 is what I traded in for the Mazda. I would have bought a 6 Wagon if I could. The CX-5 is just a big wagon to me.

No. The one I showed was the 9-3. The Saabaru was the 9-2. The 9-3 is what I traded in for the Mazda. I would have bought a 6 Wagon if I could. The CX-5 is just a big wagon to me.

IKR. The funniest thing about this thread to me at this point is the people who act like a CUV is completely different from a hatch or wagon. It’s just a hatch or wagon that’s a bit taller and a bit higher off the ground.

Exactly. I tell people all the time the only reason I like my CX5 is that it hasn't given me a reason to hate it. It's super practical, and not much fun.

Back