Best Alternative to CX-5

No, the soccer mom vehicle of choice is the CUV.

Everybody has different tastes, but I don't really understand why someone who likes the look of the current CX-5 would dislike the look of the new 6 wagon, or vice versa, given the strong family resemblance.

Everybody has different tastes, but I don't really understand why someone who likes the look of the current CX-5 would dislike the look of the new 6 wagon, or vice versa, given the strong family resemblance.

Exactly!!!

I find the CX5 to be a very stylish vehicle but I think wagons of all kinds are just meh to look at. However, the 6 wagon does look good for what it is but I just can't get into wagons. Also not a fan of hatchbacks either and I think they are similar in some ways looks wise.

I've seen this argument before. I don't agree.

I would never in a million years think a wagon resembles a CUV like the CX-5. Where I see the CX-5 as sleek and sophisticated, the wagon just looks like a car version of a van to me honestly.

That's not to say there aren't CUV's that fit in that category too. But overall their dimensions just make way more sense to me visually. I see a wagon and I see the Clark Griswald Family Truckster. It's low and long. Now that's driving a damn boat.

Last edited:
Wagons look way better than sedans.

Uh....no

64e6a5673cd6f6670ee40d4e1c032a71.jpeg

Right because that’s a current wagon you can buy new today................ that’s like me posting a picture of a ‘70s bronco as a comment on CX-5 styling. 100% irrelevant!

Right because that’s a current wagon you can buy new today................ that’s like me posting a picture of a ‘70s bronco as a comment on CX-5 styling. 100% irrelevant!

Yeah you're right, we're just poking fun.

But the point still stands they look nothing alike.

Wagon looks like a wiener dog. Low and too long.

Mazda6-Atenza-wagon-%2813%29.jpg

CX-5 on the other hand...a bigger Mazda3 hatchback? Dimensions don't feel exaggerated? A normal proportioned dog? Check.

2015-mazda-cx-5-side-view-exterior-55.jpg

Anyway, different strokes for different folks. To each their own.

Last edited:
Best Alternative to Cx-5

Sorry, there’s no panache in owning a station wagon...even if they call it a “sport wagon”

Full disclosure, Compared to my previous M4, my ‘18 X3 does little for me in the “curbside appeal” department. Sometimes I really miss my M4

Sorry, there’s no panache in owning a station wagon...even if they call it a “sport wagon”

Full disclosure, Compared to my previous M4, my ‘18 X3 does little for me in the “curbside appeal” department. Sometimes I really miss my M4

I would also miss my M4 if I could afford one. ;)

And I look at the CUV and think it’s tall and tipsy and you just compromised ride and handling for the pretender off road status.

To be fair, the 6 wagon doesn't look bad, it just invokes thoughts of grandpa taking a trip to the cabin or mom driving 7 kids to the soccer game for me, hahaha.

To be fair, the 6 wagon doesn't look bad, it just invokes thoughts of grandpa taking a trip to the cabin or mom driving 7 kids to the soccer game for me, hahaha.

Same. Like I said, it's the car version of a van.

Or my mom's stories of roadtrips in the station wagon as a kid (my grandparents had 9 kids). Don't forget the puke container!

Obviously we are not going to agree. But I think really the CX-5 while good looking is just a pumped up hatch. The 3 for example to me looks more sexy. And a lot of other CUV with a longer rear window, escape or CRV, are just pumped up wagons. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Obviously we are not going to agree. But I think really the CX-5 while good looking is just a pumped up hatch. The 3 for example to me looks more sexy. And a lot of other CUV with a longer rear window, escape or CRV, are just pumped up wagons. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Agreed, friend (to the bolded)! (drinks)

I like the CX-5 looks over the 3 myself, but I always grew up with high off the ground vehicles. So, probably why I am not into low to the ground anything (except a Miata RF. I want one).

To each their own. Or as Xeler8 says, "Each to their own". :D

Best Alternative to Cx-5

I don’t disagree. I just like the room, and the artificial sense of having the “higher end” vehicle of the two

Back