Best aftermarket Remote Start for CX-5

Tried to have a viper 4806v remote start installed in 2014 cx5 gt tues..Best Buy and Viper showed unit to be compatable but installer said 2014 wiring was different than 2013's he had previously done. Has anyone had similar experience? I'll probably now try installing OEM myself,only concern is range.

I talked to techs in best buy, visions canada and a few local stores. got the same answer. They dont have the wiring diagram and the bypass system is different for 2014. Visions told me installation could be expensive too as it take more time to put the system into the car.Adviced me to wait for a month and companies like viper and autostart will come with cx5 compatible starter kit
Tried to have a viper 4806v remote start installed in 2014 cx5 gt tues..Best Buy and Viper showed unit to be compatable but installer said 2014 wiring was different than 2013's he had previously done. Has anyone had similar experience? I'll probably now try installing OEM myself,only concern is range.

I was told exact same thing. Don't know if I'll wait though could be more than month or more and it is getting cold here in the Northeast. Also as I said only advantage I see to Viper is better range.

Graygoose, Joemon,

Please look at my previous posts on this thread. The 2014 works fine using the 2013 diagram. If you're going to a bestbuy, have the installer call the Manalapan, NJ installation center and ask for Mike. He can explain the entire process.

Mike went through the trouble of "learning" the technique.. and I'm living proof that it works. (2014 GT owner)

A few things I remember: Viper remote works better with the interface module than the compustar units. Wire "wrap" that must be placed on hidden keyfob must be thin gauge (cat5 thin).

I just got the Mazda Cx-5 remote starter installed, and it's a total fail. I really don't recommend it. It's expensive for nothing. I regret not going with the Compustar. I am however going to tell Mazda to get that piece of crap out of there.

The problem with the alternative starters (non-Mazda) is that I have to give up one of my keys. But after seeing how crappy this thing (Mazda) is, I'll reconsider.

Mazda told me it didn't work because it was too cold. Uhm… that's why I got the starter to warm up the car when it's cold. The thing sucks and has no range.

I had a '97 Honda CRV with a Compustar and it started first shot every winter -30c.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've had no problem at all with my Mazda remote starter. It was 9*F this morning and it started the car easily on the first try.

It was -20C today and my wife started the car just fine with the Mazda remote start. True it has limit range and doesn't have smart phone feature etc ... but it works. Wish Mazda could just have everything in one fob. I bet some of the features we wanted will be available for future release otherwise what are they going to give as new option for new model :)

just installed my factory system last week. Seems tempormental. sometimes takes 2-3 times to start,only 2 time choices,limited range and worst of all shuting down when any door opens. Why they didn't have it shut down when brake applied like other remotes I don't know. If you open trunk or door to load anything it is getting cold inside before restart.

Hi all
I am planning to install remote start on my 2014 cx5. What would be the best option in Canada? Mazda one or aftermarket? Kindly advice...

I guess you still searching since your last post. TreyP is selling his on the forum market place for the Mazda RS. The Mazda one will be the easiest with your GT, it may not be the best but it works, worked fine for me last winter. Aftermarket, not sure what available now but you will most likely have to give up a fob. Cost wise it maybe about the same.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123809022-Remote-Starter-Door-Bypass

Has anyone tried the door ajar bypass for the OEM remote start listed for other mazdas with all the information in that thread on a CX-5? Is this even possible on a CX-5 to bypass the door ajar sensor just like in the link I posted above by cutting the black and yellow wire behind the glove box? anyone try this or willing to??

This would be awesome if the car didn't have to shut off if a door opened... such a stupid feature

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...w2.justanswer.com/uploads/su..._mazda5_12.pdf

refer to step 12 above to see what I'm talking about.

after lot of research, I am getting Compustar P2W901-S-PRO installed on my 2014 cx5 tomorrow. Ironically, I called my dealer to get an OEM RS installed and he suggested aftermarket RS as OEM has range issues and so many unhappy customers. I was also suggested an reliable installer who is through with mazda wiring system. will update on features like door ajar sensor function and giving up of extra key fob and all....

PS. I am getting RS cheaper than the OEM with more functions..!!!

Does anyone have info on an simple aftermarket system that is working well for them. I'm going back and forth between OEM and aftermarket. Nothing fancy, just one that starts the car and let's me know it's on.

Hey guys, I was having trouble with my remote start system i had installed yesterday and this thread is exactly what i was looking for.

I had this system installed in my 2014 CX-5 a couple days ago:

http://www.automatecarsecurity.com/P...007/4214A.aspx

I have 3 problems so far and I wanted to see if you guys can confirm that you have these issues too?

• After the car is remote started, I cannot use the factory keyfob to unlock the car. Further, I also cannot use the unlock button on the door handle. The only way I can get in is to use the third-party one button fob (by pressing once to unlock the driver’s door). IMO, I am losing one of the primary features of the car, which is the “Advanced Key” option
• When the door is opened, the car shuts down. There is no takeover option. The installer said that there is no way to wire it on a Mazda so that I can have this.
• The parking lights (hazard lights) keep flashing while the car is remote started. I see this is listed as a feature on this remote starter, but the installer said the Mazda is setup in a way that this cannot be turned off.

I looked at a viper remote start review and saw a guy had a 2013 CX5 and could do takeover and he seemed pleased, so this should be possible I think.

I have an Infiniti FX35 that has a remote start on it that has none of the above issues.

Again, I was hoping to have your guys’ inputs to see if this is what you are seeing as well. As of now I am pretty unhappy about the system.

Thanks a lot!!!

We installed a Viper 4704 in our 2014 CX-5 in 2013 by a local installer. No wiring issues.

To answer this post:
I have 3 problems so far and I wanted to see if you guys can confirm that you have these issues too?

After the car is remote started, I cannot use the factory keyfob to unlock the car. Further, I also cannot use the unlock button on the door handle. The only way I can get in is to use the third-party one button fob (by pressing once to unlock the driver’s door). IMO, I am losing one of the primary features of the car, which is the “Advanced Key” option Yes, this is how it has to work if you want a better remote option.

• When the door is opened, the car shuts down. There is no takeover option. The installer said that there is no way to wire it on a Mazda so that I can have this.
No, not true. I open the door all the time and hop in and drive off. Must have key on me of course. In fact, I have driven off without my key and it will drive until you stop and then it shuts down.

The parking lights (hazard lights) keep flashing while the car is remote started. I see this is listed as a feature on this remote starter, but the installer said the Mazda is setup in a way that this cannot be turned off. Mine does not do this at all. If I started the car with the remote and then unlock the door with the Viper remote it will only flash the lights once.

Downside is you do have to use the Viper remote if you remote start the car with it. It will only unlock the drivers door only. That can be changed but its a safety feature more than a inconvenience. Otherwise the regular Mazda key works normally.

We purchased our car through Costco and received a $250 voucher for use at Mazda. 1 extra remote and cargo area mats it was! The Viper works as advertised over long distance. I use the one way remote and it works from inside a large concrete and steel arena without fail. So does the 2-way remote.

I would not let Best Buy do the install and make sure the Viper installer is listed with Viper. Call and check with Viper and check references. Our dealer was doing a Coat for Kids program and offered $100 off with a coat donation. Everybody won that day.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was having trouble with my remote start system i had installed yesterday and this thread is exactly what i was looking for.

I had this system installed in my 2014 CX-5 a couple days ago:

http://www.automatecarsecurity.com/P...007/4214A.aspx

• After the car is remote started, I cannot use the factory keyfob to unlock the car. Further, I also cannot use the unlock button on the door handle. The only way I can get in is to use the third-party one button fob (by pressing once to unlock the driver’s door). IMO, I am losing one of the primary features of the car, which is the “Advanced Key” option
• The parking lights (hazard lights) keep flashing while the car is remote started. I see this is listed as a feature on this remote starter, but the installer said the Mazda is setup in a way that this cannot be turned off.

Your link does not work, but I have the factory remote start from Mazda and it does not make the hazard/parking lights flash. No lights come on at all once it is remote started. Maybe it has something to do with your specific aftermarket remote start, but the Mazda one does not do this. However it does still shut the car off when the door is open - which is rather annoying. My previous car, a 2012 Ford Focus with OEM remote start did not shut off when the door was open, which was great.

Hi!

Thanks for the response. The main issue for me is that the exterior door handle button does not work when the car is remote started. I have to use the aftermarket remote start fob to unlock the door to get in. Does your button work?

So, there is an aftermarket system that works? Brand and model number.
I see people, say that they have a Compustar installed and it works great, but which one? Do you have smart key or not, that matters too.
I'm trying to have somebody, to install at least an alarm with keyless entry, but I would like to find out, about a remote start system also, if it's not way to expensive.

So, there is an aftermarket system that works? Brand and model number.
I see people, say that they have a Compustar installed and it works great, but which one? Do you have smart key or not, that matters too.
I'm trying to have somebody, to install at least an alarm with keyless entry, but I would like to find out, about a remote start system also, if it's not way to expensive.

My installer used the Automate 4214A, but the Python and Viper versions are the exact same... just a different name.

Back