Best aftermarket Remote Start for CX-5

Thanks Kelseyx! Great explanation. Descriminator: Sounds like you visited an installer that wanted to push a very expensive upsell (is he saying that on the expensive Viper alarm... you wouldn't lose a remote???? I believe they would all have the same issue).

My install will take place within a week or two, and will post my experience (and am hoping it will as seemless as Kelseyx's.

I'm just throwing this out there - If you have to give up one of the factory fobs, and you want to have two, that means you have to add the price of a replacement fob to an aftermarket remote start. Since I paid $140 just to get a factory KEY made (long story, documented somewhere on this forum), I'm thinking the cost of a fob + aftermarket remote starter = the price of a Mazda remote starter. True, the factory RS has its shortcomings, but it is a genuine part which holds a certain value in its own right.

That being said, I've never had an issue with aftermarket starters.

For us Canadian, the price to replace a factory fob + aftermarket remote starter maybe higher than the factory RS. A local shop who can do a RS using the factory fob is almost the price of the factory RS and I still lose a fob. I'm waiting to see if the price will drop in Amazon and pickup the factory RS. I hate having another remote but TreyP has a point about certain value with the factory RS. BTW if anyone who got the factory RS installed please post your experience, time, difficulty, etc ...

BTW if anyone who got the factory RS installed please post your experience, time, difficulty, etc ...
I did half the install last night and will finish it up tonight. I am documenting the process as I go and will post it when I'm done. So far I can say that the instructions for the hood switch are sketchy at best. I'll work it out though and try to post a how-to that will go hand in hand with the factory instructions for maximum clarity.

I did half the install last night and will finish it up tonight. I am documenting the process as I go and will post it when I'm done. So far I can say that the instructions for the hood switch are sketchy at best. I'll work it out though and try to post a how-to that will go hand in hand with the factory instructions for maximum clarity.

Nice, Thanks. I'm going to try to do the install saturday or sunday. Hope your instructions are somewhere near ready by then :D

TreyP and Descriminator could you also post picture of the RS fob with the car fob? Just want to see the different as people mentioned the RS fob is much bigger than the car fob. Thanks

TreyP and Descriminator could you also post picture of the RS fob with the car fob? Just want to see the different as people mentioned the RS fob is much bigger than the car fob. Thanks
I actually already took one, I just need to get it uploaded later tonight or tomorrow.

For now: The width is exactly the same, and the original fob is 3" and the remote fob is just under 3.75", its really not a huge difference, but I guess the two of them together makes for a bulky key ring.

Last edited:
I actually already took one, I just need to get it uploaded later tonight or tomorrow.

For now: The width is exactly the same, and the original fob is 3" and the remote fob is just under 3.75", its really not a huge difference, but I guess the two of them together makes for a bulky key ring.

I wish Mazda would replace the car fob with the RS fob. Soon my wife will have 3 fobs with her key ring or she can put the RS in one of her purse pocket. But you know women like to carry different purse just to look different. Oh well, the price you pay for convenience :)

Ok...Here are the two fobs side by side. As I mentioned above, the width is exactly the same. The original fob is 3" tall and the remote fob is just under 3.75"
Mostly it is the size of the ring on the remote start that adds unnecessary length to the fob.

And these compare it to a standard CompuStar remote starter fob:

Last edited:
Doesn't look too bad. I have the alarm in my CX-5 so I don't think I need the hood switch but just to be sure how do I check?

I have the alarm in my CX-5 so I don't think I need the hood switch but just to be sure how do I check?

If the factory wired the hood switch the same way that they recommend in the official instructions, you should see this wire bundle beside the air vent.
I'm working on a how-to right now, so that may make it more clear when it is done.

Last edited:
OK... Status:

BestBuy's VERY professional installer ... had a tough time at it... but now is very close to completion. The one issue he is having involves the "white" lead that is to be wrapped around the "battery-less" fob and hidden in the vehicle. No matter what gauge wire he has tried... the circuit is not sensing the fob.

Can anyone enlighten us to WHICH bestbuy you utilized for your successful installation as he would surely like to discuss this with them? Please mention the name of the bestbuy, location and if you remember... the technician name?

Thanks

Status... once again..

Success!

BestBuy in Manalapan NJ are now experts at the CX5, and the compatible remote start systems!

In a nutshell, the "battery-less" fob must be wrapped with a very fine gauge wire (single wire from a cat5 cable), as to allow solid transmission of this passive signal. Once this is accomplished, it seems that most other aspects of the install are "normal". FYI, the compustar unit was not communicating with the door lock/unlock (compustar stated that it was a defective unit) so we opted to switch it with an equivalent Viper unit (with lock/unlock as well).

SO.. here's what I've learned about the mention of the engine shut down when the doors are opened (after using the remote start):

IF... you use the remote start WHEN THE DOORS HAVE BEEN LEFT UNLOCKED.... the engine WILL shut when you enter the vehicle (smart idea.. as obviously anyone can enter the car.. and possibly drive away). At that point, of course, you can then use the push-to-start to restart your warmed up vehicle.

IF... you use the remote start WHEN THE DOORS WERE PREVIOUSLY LOCKED BY EITHER THE MAZDA REMOTE OR VIPER REMOTE.... you may then unlock the vehicle (FROM VIPER REMOTE ONLY)... and the car will NOT shut off and you can then drive normally.

NOW... as far as you "losing" the use of one of your two Mazda Fobs.... yes, this is true... but it is truly not "lost" but simply a "hidden extra fob" (which your installer can reveal as to its' location), that you can surely use (both with or without battery) in case you lose the other fob. Also, keep in mind if you LOCK your one and only Mazda Fob in the car... you can always retrieve it by getting the additional REMOTE START fob(keep in mind that you should purchase a remote start that comes with TWO fobs) to open the doors to get to the one and only Mazda fob that you locked in the car.

In conclusion.... there is an inexpensive alternative to the Mazda "Monster" Fob, and the expense of an OEM system (with all due respect to Mazda). Just find a professional installer (if you're in NJ, Mike at BestBuy in Manalapan is the guy!) and make sure they are knowledgable ... and PATIENT with Mazda's start-stop operation and its' remote start quirks.

So if your car was unlock and remote start it, the engine will shut off when you open the door. Do you have to carry the other Mazda fob to restart the car or just get in push the brake and start the car without the Mazda fob?

Yes, you have to carry the Mazda fob.

The "passive" fob (the hidden one that is being used by the remote start)..... is truly just for remote start purposes, and because it doesn't have a battery in it... isn't sending out a signal to allow that one to be used as the "key" for REALLY starting the car (for driving purposes).

Once again, you COULD use that hidden fob in an emergency in two fashions:

1) take the fob from its' hiding place, and without any battery in it, follow the instructions in your CX5 owners manual that describes using the fob when the battery is dead
2) Take the fob from its' hiding place, and run to your nearest convenience store and buy the appropriate battery, insert, and poof! Working remote

The reason the logic is set up this way is to make sure NO ONE (without knowledge of where the hidden key is of course) can jump in the car and drive away.

Make sense?

So you still need to carry 2 fobs. The installer I went to can use the Mazda fob to start the car by pressing the unlock 3 times so I don't have to carry 2 fobs but then I still would lose a fob. The installer told me they did it with the 2013 without having to hide the fob in the car but the 2014 is different. The price for the aftermarket remote start for me is almost the same as the OEM and I still have to carry 2 fobs or share 1 fob with my wife so I decided to go with OEM, plus I don't like the idea of the hidden fob in the car. My wife can carry the car fob and the remote start and I still has my car fob, she also carry a purse so make carry 2 fobs a bit easier :)

Best solution would be for Mazda to replace the the car fob with the remote start fob if someone decided to install the remote start.

Yes, you MUST carry two fobs (the Viper fob is not bigger than most little doodads that you might get on a keychain). I like the idea your installer had, tdman (hit the unlock button 3 times). Can you tell me what system he was suggesting that would work on? (Is that the oem?). I also would like to know what system he was suggesting would NOT need to hide a fob? Obviously this would be the best choice for an aftermarket.

As was discussed before... although you are suggesting in Canada the price is about the same (with installation, etc)... it seems that there is a larger price difference in the States.

It's always nice to have options!

I think he said they use the Autostart system, http://www.autostart.ca/Default.aspx but he said they're own by Viper. Not sure about what system he uses that doesn't need to hide the fob, he just said the 2013 CX-5 he didn't need to but the 2014 has new wiring and updated electronic and they need to hide the fob to do it. I don't know if this is all true or not but I didn't like the idea of the hidden fob so I didn't go with it. No the system they use is not OEM.

Prices are much different here in Canada compare to the US, there are lower price remote start system too but with the no key start system in the CX-5, this make it more challenge and more expensive. They quoted me for the remote start use with the Mazda fob is almost the same if I would get the OEM from the US, the OEM remote start in Canada is much more like $700 + installation

I think he said they use the Autostart system, http://www.autostart.ca/Default.aspx but he said they're own by Viper. Not sure about what system he uses that doesn't need to hide the fob, he just said the 2013 CX-5 he didn't need to but the 2014 has new wiring and updated electronic and they need to hide the fob to do it. I don't know if this is all true or not but I didn't like the idea of the hidden fob so I didn't go with it. No the system they use is not OEM.

Prices are much different here in Canada compare to the US, there are lower price remote start system too but with the no key start system in the CX-5, this make it more challenge and more expensive. They quoted me for the remote start use with the Mazda fob is almost the same if I would get the OEM from the US, the OEM remote start in Canada is much more like $700 + installation

My Mazda dealer told me that this OEM remote starter need 700CAD+ 14.5% TAX and do not need pay installation fee. If I buy it from ebay maybe need pay 560cad+ 7% duty and maybe need pay 15% tax more.

Last edited:
Back